“Beautiful”

Lucerne Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Holden
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bangor, Maine, United States
“Beautiful”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The Sunday breakfast buffet is unbelievable - just great. Never seen a better one. Beautiful surroundings, nice quiet atmosphere.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Southwest Harbor, Maine
“Beyond disappointing for New Year's Eve”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is not our first time at The Lucerne to dine.....however it may be our last (unfortunately). From the moment the waiter approached our table he was apologetic and it never stopped the entire meal. Initially we were very understanding telling him not to worry. But then even we became worried. This young gentleman apologized ELEVEN times. The apologies ranged from, "I'm so sorry you've been waiting, no one told me I had a table" (we sat in excess of 10 minutes without water or anyone approaching the table) to "I usually provide exceptional service and take pride in that, unfortunately I have too many tables tonight." He continued to throw management and the kitchen under the bus (for being short staffed and back up in the kitchen) however he never took notice of his own miscues. For example, HE brought my salad out with the incorrect dressing on it; not the kitchen. We were finally able to get the attention of the bus person because flagging HIM down was impossible she replaced my salad. And it was HE who brought me my entree and did not note that with the salad debacle I no longer had a fork to dine with....yup you guessed it another lengthy wait which resulted in eating a cold entree. Typically my husband and I can back-burner service when the food is exceptional; unfortunately that was not the case in the least. My pork was overcooked (though the fruit chutney was scrumptious). My husband's prime rib had NO accent flavoring at all (no garlic or rosemary). And what they called horseradish sauce was a creamy mess lacking flavor. It was a slab of beef on a plate. The vegetable that evening was summer squash and zucchini. The irony was my plate had ALL summer squash and my husband's had all zucchini albeit one small piece of summer squash. The dessert selection which typically is over-the-top at The Lucerne was very lack-luster. Perhaps it was because we were on their New Year's Package, perhaps it was an off night. All I know is it paled in comparison to previous dining experiences (including New Year's Eve 2010).
Brunch was also part of the package. And how unappetizing to see THE SAME food from the night before on the buffet for brunch....and it hadn't even been repurposed! At least make it look like something other than the night before's entrees. Thankfully there were many other choices in addition to the tasteless and disappointing leftovers from the night before. You can't go wrong with cold shrimp and fruit right? One delicious offering that morning that stood out was their creme brulee french toast! Service was very good the next morning also. Our server was very attentive and very refreshing.
Not knowing where to include this next bit of information I will do so here......part of the package was also music and dancing at The Overlook on the property. 2 years ago we had hats, party favors, decorations inside and out (a beautiful ice sculptured swan). If it hadn't been for the television set up in the corner that the DJ referenced a few minutes before midnight we would have never known it was New Year's Eve this year. Never. This was absolutely a let down....having experienced so much more a mere 2 years ago.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank islandfoodie04679
Bar Harbor, Maine
“Pretty View”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The bacon-wrapped scallops were delicious, and we looked forward to entrees in the dining room. Great table, not very busy on a weeknight...the tablecloth had a smear of butter along the edge "from lunch" - rather than have them reset the table, I just tucked the cloth over itself under the glass. Salads were fresh if not memorable. Hubby got seafood alfredo/fettucini. The sause appeared runny & thin, though he said it was "tasty." I got the beef filet. I anticipated a great grilled piece of buttery tender beef, but it arrived in a pasta bowl covered with a bourdalais sauce. The sides were a mound of mashed potatoes and a southwestern mix of vegetables. I don't recall such a description on the menu, and the competing flavors were exaggerated and really dulled the enjoyment of a nice grilled steak. If you're a purist, ask them to hold the sauces! I am a local, and really hate to say the meal was just average - I remember this fine old hotel from childhood - but that's how we felt about the last couple of meals we've had here. It's a lovely view, and the main hotel still holds a 50's welcome. But they need to dust around the bar, and be more attentive about their table settings/floor/dining room being clean. Otherwise, patrons will (and do) wonder about how the food is being prepared.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank pshop
Clearwater, Florida
“Sunday Brunch review”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

First let me say that I did recieve a discount for complaining.I wish the service was my only complaint.The co-owner,a woman was polite and did want to make things better.But the real problem is a declining of quality and value in food service.The brunch opens at 9am.We arrived at 9:45.The salmon in a sauce was severely dried up.The eggs benedict were hard yolked on top of stale english.The second pan of benedict that we requested,was again hard boiled but at least the muffin was soft.The corn beef hash was an extremely low quality as well as the bacon.The french toast was pre-fab,like you would get in a large quantity frozen at Save-a-Lot.The breakfast breads were all lowquality prefab.The bagels,.Lenders?,only plain.No home fries.Skimpy hollendaise,skimpy slices when at the carving board.Horrible pies.Shortening loaded to the point of nauseating,barely sweetened.What happened to the cheesecake?What happened to the ice cream you could get yourself?Why are the majority of desserts factory made?Or maybe box mixes?No one seemed to care that there were several parties waiting to check in when we first arrived.My husband couldn't find a carver at the meat board and cut his own.It just was very disappointing.I wish there was some recommendation I could make to travelers in that area,but I must say that it is getting difficult to find any quality these days.

Newark, Delaware
“Lovely View and Great Food”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This was my second time to this restaurant that I can remember. The first when I was about 7 years old. The second was a lot more memorable. We were two couples and got a table right by the window overlooking gorgeous Phillips Lake. I and the other female diner (my cousin) in our group had the special for Tuesday: two pound lobster! It was amazing. The cook took all the work out of the lobster but leaving us the huge cracked claws and the tails halved. In spite of the size, the lobster was truly tender and sweet. My cousin, who spends most of her summer in Maine, said it was the best lobster she had had all season. It came with roasted new potatoes and corn. The new potatoes were out of this world. The corn not so great. My husband ordered the haddock which he said was delicious and my cousin's husband the veal. Overall, we were very pleased with our meals. The wait staff was attentive. I hadn't seen my relatives in a year, so we had a lot of catching up to do and were the last ones to leave, but felt no pressure to go.

• Visited August 2012