“View, great lunch, view...and the service!”

Estes Lobster House
Ranked #3 of 16 Restaurants in Harpswell
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Outstanding location for lunch or early dinner because of the views. Megan (one of the world's most attentive hospitality all-stars) made the experience specatcular. Lobster stew was the best we tasted (five lobster stews before we came on Estes). Mussels great! Lobster roll exactly as it should be. The view!

Reviewed July 17, 2012

A must stop. The view alone is worth the drive but the lobster roll was the best I have had in Maine this year. Had to be a whole lobster in the roll. Fresh, tender and lightly tossed with mayo or just drizzle with melted butter.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Slackpacker's review was one of the most fun I've read on Tripadvisor. Thankfully, that was not our experience. Our waitress came with menus right away, our order was taken in a couple minutes, and our drinks and food all came out in the right order and well spaced.

The fried clams were very tasty, although a bit on the greasy side. But they went really well with my Sebago IPA. Lobsters this year are ridiculously cheap; my wife had 2 1-pound lobsters for $20; I had a salad with lobster meat (and maple-brown sugar dressing that was really just sweeter-than-usual maple syrup). Both entrees were delicious, but the real winner was the sunset - it was absolutely spectacular to sit there (the staff didn't rush us at all) and watch the sun sink below the horizon while the water lapped at the shore 4 feet from our table.

All in all, a very nice place with good food.

1  Thank Adam F
Reviewed July 14, 2012

On a recent mini-vacation to Bailey Island, my mother and I searched for the best lobster roll. Estes Lobster House was the winner! Incredible view and excellent lobster roll! (plenty of lobster on a perfectly toasted roll). We will definitely be back!

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Surrounded by sparkling bays reflecting a rich amber sunset on a perfect Saturday evening, the quaint and scenic Estes Lobster House seemed the perfect connection to the fishing boats bobbing gently in the harbor. Entering the restaurant, one is treated to honeyed wood trim and the perfect trappings of down Maine decor. The setting sun streams through the west-facing windows and the local brews on tap promise a perfect evening.

You have the choice of dining inside, trimmed with wood, cozy nooks and red-checked tablecloths...or outside, along Harpswell Neck...sitting virtually among the fishing boats.

Ah...heavenly.

Then the service kicks in. It's not only quirky and frustrating, but it's also slow and confusing. It doesn't matter whether you arrive before or after any other customers, service will be random. I can't prove it, but it seems the waitstaff uses the "eeny-meeny-miney-moe" approach to guest management. That applies to when you'll be waited on, whether or not you get condiments, utensils, or even the right food. We waited 25 minutes to place our order, then 7 minutes for our main course. The appetizer arrived shortly afterward.

One area in which the Estes House is very progressive, is that they don't push drinks on the customers. While I would've enjoyed sipping a second round as the setting sun painted rich hues across the heavens while the waves lapped gently at the seawall, none was forthcoming. Frustrated waitresses steamed back and forth, acknowledging each other's misery with rolling eyes and angry comments as they passed, but none seemed inclined to respond to my "excuse me, may I have..." Maybe if they realized my waitress had gone AWOL, they would've pitched in.

Whatever. The food was awesome. Obviously they know how to procure and prepare this stuff, they just have no idea how to distribute it to the paying customers.

3  Thank slackpacker