“Disappointed”

Ruth & Wimpy's
Ranked #2 of 12 Restaurants in Hancock
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A great rusticated Maine restaurant where you can get a reasonably priced lobsta dinner and the best homemade pie anywhere. The personnel are always great and Wimpy is a neat guy. I love it there. No trip to Bar Harbor is complete without a stop at Ruth & Wimpy's (and I haven't got a dime in this).
Hamilton, Ohio
“Disappointed”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The locals recommended this place, so we took a chance. It was very busy when we went for dinner, cannot remember which night it was, but not a weekend. The service was slow, the food mediocre, at best. The only good thing was the dessert. The "All American Pie" was delicious.

• Visited July 2012

Cooperstown, New York
“Now I remember why we didn't remember this place . . .”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is our second time here. The first time was 5 years ago. This time, I thought, 'hmm. I remember this place, but I don't remember the meal.' Now, I remember why. But, first, the decor . . . classless, not cute. The ceiling is littered with corny and tasteless bumper stickers. I'm glad my 14 month-old can't read. The walls are covered with somebody's collection of beer bottles, license plates and model cars.

I chose something simple: Lobster Roll. It came on a buttered and toasted piece of bread, three pickle slices and a small bag of ruffled chips poured onto the plate. The lobster tasted OK, but was the equivalent amount of a hot dog. The bread was very greasy. I didn't touch the pickles and the chips were as you would expect from a vending machine. I was still hungry, needless to say.

My wife got the "Grilled Chicken". It was two pieces of boneless, frozen chicken that had been seared in a pan. No herbs. No spices. And, it was pink in the middle. It came with a baked (dehydrated) potato that had clearly been in the oven for no less than 12 hours. In a separate side dish was a small bowl of microwaved canned green beans.

Now, we didn't expect anything special. But, how hard would it be to put a little more effort into the food? Fresh green beans. Fresh chicken. Maybe a little salt and pepper. Really, just terrible.

Don't be fooled by the busy parking lot at this place. Don't waste your hard earned money.

• Visited August 2012
Mount Desert, Maine
“authentic”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I just love the ambiance and service at this no nonsense eatery. Great food, reasonable prices and terrific people. Love the Philly Cheese Steaks...

Visited July 2012
Woodway, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food, Right Price”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Delicious seafood. Loved the downhome food and atmosphere. Definitely where the locals go.

Visited May 2012
Quebec City, Canada
“Horrible”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

The service was slow, the lobster poor, the soggy corn inedible, don't touch anything that calls itself a wing, it was never attached to any bird. Not for the faint of heart. A real tourist trap.

Visited July 2011