“First class restaurant, first class B&B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hancock
The Crocker House Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hancock B&B and Inns
Bernard, Me
“First class restaurant, first class B&B”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

A rare combination of a first-class restaurant, and a wonderful antique-furnished B&B that serves a full cooked-to-order breakfast.My wife and I stayed there twice recently. Crocker House had a get-away special of dinner for two, overnight lodgings, and breakfast for two, all for under $200. We were there for Mother's Day, and again, a few weeks later for my wife's birthday. For mother's day we had a bedroom in the carriage house. For her birthday, we had a wonderful bay-windowed room in the main house. But I want to tell you about the food. On Friday nights, a jazz trio plays in the living room, and many people were there to hear them, some with drinks, some around small tables eating appetizers. Through an open door, diners on the porch can hear the music. The brass player is a friend of ours so we had a table on the porch.
The dinner was spectacular. For appetizers we had a warm artichoke and crabmeat dip with an assortment of crackers. The other appetizer was a pate mousse with black truffles, three blocks of delicious, light pate, topped with capers, chopped onion, and tiny slices of cornichon. A salad followed topped with what seemed to be a creamy Caesar dressing, with an excellent smooth mouth-feel. The entrees were a Seafood Scampi with scallops, shrimp, and lobster in a lemon-white wine sauce over linguini. Marvelous. I had Medallions of Beef au Poivre medium rare. Served with two sauces, the meat was gloriously cooked perfectly, the sauces, a brown sauce, and a cream sauce enhanced the taste of the steaks which, by the way, were crispy on the outside, and perfectly medium rare within. Decaf espresso and a chocolate mousse for dessert. And as Ben Johnson said, ...and so to bed.

Room Tip: The rooms in the carriage house have screened cross-ventilation.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MDIFoodie

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I would recommend this B&B to all my friends. The food was amazing as well as the service. We will definitely be returning. We stayed in the carriage house the room was charming and very comfortable. Wonderful place to stay if you are looking to relax and a short ride to Bar harbor

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank CathyGaryA
Bass Harbor, Maine
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We live about 40 miles away and been hearing great things about the Crocker House for years. We finally got organized and spent New Years eve here on their end of the year special. My wife and I both thought our stay was excellent. Our dinner the night we arrived was one of the best we have had. The main course was done exactly as we ordered. The vegetable side was still a little crisp as they should be. The portions were generous. While some reviews have complained the service was slow,and it wasn't the fastest I have seen, the young lady who served us was charming and had a glowing personality and a brilliant smile. We were looking slower pace here and that is just what we found here.
Breakfast the next morning equally enjoyable. We had pleasant conversation with folks at the next table in a way that only seems to happen at smaller B&Bs. Again the food was excellent.
We stayed in the carriage house rather than the main part of the inn and it was very nice. Our room was very neat and clean and the bed was comfortable. It is very hard to find a place this nice that welcomes our dog too.
We are thinking making this a regular tradition.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DogSailor
Brunswick, Maine
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I have been eating and staying at the Crocker House Country Inn for years. Sometimes it has felt like it might be home...or at least I have wished that it were so! The rooms are comfy, old Maine cottage style and I've always slept peacefully through the night. The food is consistently excellent...I have never been disappointed They have gotten their menu down to a fine art and it is reassuring to know that your favorite dishes will, predictably, be delicious just as you remember them. The fresh, local oysters are succulent, the house baked bread warm and comforting, but the filet au poivre has had me returning for decades! You can count on a delightful selection of wines and generous cocktails. I have always enjoyed the service, often feeling like I'm part of the family. If you're fortunate enough to spend the night, the breakfast that comes with the room is the best around including a wide variety of choices all cooked to order. You can relax in the parlor listening to jazz and may well become friends with other guests from all over. The atmosphere is charming and friendly, conducive to a relaxed, convivial experience. I have no reservations recommending the Crocker House most highly, though you may want to make reservations for dinner as it is supremely popular amongst the locals as well!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Charles S
Jonesport, Maine
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

One of the finest Thanksgiving dinners I have ever had and my wife is an excellent cook and so was my mother! Tough competition. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves there and plan on coming back for some of the other events. Great food, beautiful surroundings, and comfortable lodging. We will return!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Allan R
Gouldsboro, ME
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The food at this restaurant has always been outstanding. In fact, if you would like something that is not offered on the menu, sometimes you can call ahead and request what you want!!! However, service is not great. Also, if you get seated on the porch, it is not quite as nice as the main dining room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ellsworth, Maine
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We are locals , only ten minutes from The Crocker House. We feel very fortunate to have such an amazing restaurant in our town. By far the best food in our area and that includes Bar Harbor. The atmosphere is so relaxing, and you can enjoy this place from spring to New Years! The seafood pasta is amazing, and you will not get a better steak anywhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hancock
Bar Harbor Inn
Elsa's Inn On The Harbor
Elsa's Inn On The Harbor
#2 of 3 in Prospect Harbor
The Colony on Frenchman's Bay

Been to The Crocker House Country Inn? Share your experiences!