“so authentic and delicious!”

McLaughlins at the Marina
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Hampden
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My fiancé and I brought our 87 year old grandmother here... she rarely is able to get out, and I knew that she loves a good fish fry. So do I, actually.

We went to the sit-down restaurant in Hampden, not the picnic shack nearby in Bangor. It was a sunny, fairly warm day, so most people were sitting out on the patio. (Which was very casual and protected by plastic sheeting as is common for Maine. The dining hall had somewhat nicer furnishings, but less of a view.) The young man who waited on us was wonderful - it can be a challenge to satisfy an elderly grandmother but he was very accommodating and sincere.

We each ordered the haddock plate, which can be served fried or grilled, with your choice of sides. I found the grilled haddock especially wonderful! The coating on the fried version was slightly heavy, but still delicious. Both sweet potato and regular fries were succulent and crisp - I was a little hesitant to go for the sweet potato but after tasting them probably would next time - they are equally delicious and unique. The garden salad was great, but the coleslaw average-good (not as seasoned as I personally like it - tartar sauce also very mild). The fish was all incredibly fresh and portions bountiful.

Just one note on the chowder - my fiancé sampled chowders from five different places on this trip, and it is true that this is the only version with a thin rather than thick broth. It is composed of milk and butter with large hunks of mixed seafood and mild spices. It is not thickened with flour or starch like most others, and therefore is excellent for people with gluten allergies like me. As a kid growing up in rural Maine this is how my mom made chowders, so I was really happy to find this offering!

1  Thank xylembonn

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We went for lunch and the haddock sandwich which was so fresh and fried lightly. Had bottled beer which was nice and cold. Did not know anything about this restaurant but glad we stopped.

1  Thank HamptonLin
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife made reservations at McLaughlin's at the Marina for a large party at least one week prior to celebrate a graduation and a family reunion. She called a day before to confirm the reservation as well as the location on the porch overlooking the river. When we all arrived (on time) they tried to seat us in a cold, dark, uninviting room. Our table and seating for 12 was given to another group. Upon further questioning the hostess became extremely defensive, admitting a mistake had been made, but in NO way was an appropriate resolution offered that was acceptable.

First of all, 2 calls were made to confirm a large party in a specific location and view, one of which was made the day prior. Secondly, we were on time and our large table was given to another party, obviously on a first come basis even though we did make a reservation. Thirdly, I have eaten at restaurants world-wide and have never been treated so rudely by a host or hostess.

Thanks to our hostess, my son will always remember his graduation dinner and my family from Michigan will fondly remember an evening out to this particular Maine restaurant but for the wrong reasons. I will not return to this restaurant again.

5  Thank terryjoann
Reviewed June 11, 2013

McLaughlin's is well known locally for their fresh fish sold from their market up the road a mile or so in Bangor.
Here at the marina there is an uncomplicated but hard to read menu with some unusual offerings. I have never seen a "Rueben Sandwich" made with haddock anywhere else, and was not brave enough to try it here.
The sevice was professional and friendly. The food tasted good, though it didn't sit well with me. Next time I will opt for the food stand they have next to the market.

1  Thank RS457
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The food was good, I'll say that for sure. However, they get you at the end when they stick you for soda refills, which they never warn you are not free. We were directed here by the visitor center staff at the airport and were told it was more budget friendly; however, our 2 person meal was about 75.00 with only one alcoholic drink in there. 10 bucks of that was just soda refills. I think it's just plain unprofessional to do that to your guests and for that reason I would not ever recommend this place.

2  Thank Michelle H