“Good choice for a Sunday dinner”

Lucky Garden Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 24 Restaurants in Hallowell
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
White Plains, New York
“Good choice for a Sunday dinner”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Hallowell, Maine, is picturesque but sleepy tourist town where you'll be hard-pressed to find anything that isn't a fast-food franchise or local pizza joint open on a Sunday night. You'll enjoy hot tasty freshly prepared treats here, including all your favorites. And you can be sure the seafood dishes are fresh! The setting on the banks of the Kennebec River is nice, but the ambiance, while it would't keep you away, won't bring you back. There's ample seating, but take out is certainly an option. The prices will make any vacationer smile.

• Visited September 2012

Rome
“Great Chinese food”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Food was very good, not oily or heavy like alot of restaurants. It was fresh and tasty and the atmosphere was fun.

Visited May 2012
Centralia, Washington
“Mediocre food, barely warm, small selection = Last resort dining.”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I've read the reviews for this place, but I just don't see how it can be so highly rated.
I eat in a LOT of Chinese restaurants, and honestly, I rate the Lucky Garden near the bottom of them food wise.
Parking can be problematical during the lunch hour, as the place is packed. We managed to get the last open space in the dirt lot.
You walk along a lengthy raised board walk along the outside of the building to go in the side, and it seems to pop you into an old, barn like structure that has walls that lean at all sorts of angles.
We were able to get seated, and the place was probably about 90% full at just after noon on a week day.
I tried the Hot and Sour Soup, and it was OK, but a bit off (I think it had a smidge of sugar in it).
The buffet struck me as absolutely microscopic, there were maybe a dozen items that you could choose from.
Many of the trays were almost empty, and I settled for the egg rolls, and some fried rice. The egg rolls were warm at best, likewise the rice.
I did go back for seconds though because I was hungry, but if I had the option of leaving and eating somewhere else, I would have.
The Health Department needs to visit them and check on food temperature.
The staff was polite and attentive, and we had a great view of the river.
All in all, I wouldn't go back unless someone had their heart set on eating there.
The food was simply a disappointment.

• Visited April 2012
Farmingdale, Maine
“Great Chinese Restaurant and no MSG!”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

My husband and I go here frequently. They also have take-out which we also do. Their Sesame Chicken is the best we have ever had. Their luncheon buffet is excellent and the price is very reasonable. If you don't have much time for lunch this is the perfect place to go. A hugh plus for me is the fact they use no MSG.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Hacheta
Vassalboro, Maine
“Best Chinese food in the Augusta area.”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

The Sesame Chicken is the best ever!! All other food is good, as is the buffet, which is not extremely large, but very tasty. Their crab rangoons, egg roll, egg foo yong, and all veggies are wonderful!! Many friends and family visit this restaurant often. The staff is very friendly and accommodating.

Mixed drinks are excellent!!!

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank JWP77

Been to Lucky Garden Restaurant? Share your experiences!