“Another overpriced & overrated eatery Hallowell!”

Slates Restaurant & Bakery
Ranked #2 of 24 Restaurants in Hallowell
Cuisines: Seafood, Healthy, Cafe
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Winslow, Maine
“Another overpriced & overrated eatery Hallowell!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Anyone who knows The State Of Maine, knows that Hallowell is the Gay capital of the entire state. Slates is among the handful of homosexual restaurants/bars in Hallowell. Their food is overpriced & highly overrated, as there was absolutely nothing special about it. The service was slow & lousy. The music from the acoustic musician was pathetic & amateur, not to mention the attire of the musician was a throwback from the 60's. I'd seriously suggest singing lessons. For the price of our meal & drinks one would expect Jack Johnson & Ben Harper to be performing instead of the joke that was. Stay clear of this poor excuse for a restaurant.

• Visited July 2012

Waterville, Maine
“Best in area for lunch”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Slates is my all-time favorite destination for lunch. The luncheon specials change daily, offering a quiche, salad, homemade soups, or sandwich item, as well as a drink special each day. In addition, the regular menu offers a very large selection of innovative choices, from salads, whole wheat pizza, crepes, fresh fish, seafood, pasta, chicken, beef and vegetarian dishes. Waitstaff is consistently attentive, personable and knowledgeable. Bar service is outstanding. I have lunched here for over 30 years ( there was a two or three year hiatus after a devastating fire a few years ago) and have yet to be disappointed. The crepes are exceptional.

• Visited November 2012
ME
“Best bet is to eat in the bar”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We have eaten at Slates many times over the years but have grown tired of the poor service from many on the wait staff. Even on a slow night, is the norm for customers wait extended periods before their orders are taken or drinks are filled - better sip that water while you wait an hour for your dinner because it is likely the last one you are going to get. The last time we ate there the check did not come for nearly a half hour after we had entirely finished eating. We paid by credit card and that added an extra 10 minutes while we waited for the receipt.

While some of the staff just seem unconcerned about the customer and their dining experience, others are downright rude. Don't go with another couple and request two checks, it will send them into a fluster that will ruin the whole rest of your meal.

We get far better table service dining at mid-priced chain restaurants in the area.

We have found that we have had the best luck eating in the bar. The bartenders tend to be no nonsense - they come quickly to take your order, make sure your drinks are filled and present you a check when it is evident that you are ready to go.

If you are wondering why we continue to eat at Slates given our frustration with the service, it is only due to the fact that we have very limited options for a good meal in the Augusta area. Increasingly we are finding ourselves at the Senator where the wait staff is always friendly, attentive and professional. We still hold out hope that Slates can turn things around.

• Visited October 2012
maine
“Best around”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Consistently excellent food, fresh and creative. Great atmosphere! Their Bloody Mary is the best in the country and I've had them in almost 50 states. Their seafood is always top notch and prepared to perfection!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank lewcol
Miami Beach, Florida
“Unusual Night - Great Service”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I went to this restaurant with a co-worker because many locals recommended it. It was the Saturday night prior to Halloween, the place was packed, the bar was full of people in costumes as were the staff (FUN!!) and we had no reservations. It turned out that was the night of the town-wide Zombie Crawl (Pub Crawl in costume.) The host told us no space was available in the restaurant but they were about to seat people from the bar. He suggested we wait a couple of minutes and we could grab those seats if we didn't mind eating at the bar. (Since we were there without a reservation, we didn't.) The bartender was very busy, but took care of us. Since I am a vegan, when I asked what they could recommend she was quite helpful and even suggested a few things not on the menu they had available. (One of the reasons I went here was because a local began had told me they would accommodate me.) Despite being very busy, she was helpful. I had the beans and rice and a vegetable/tofu stir-fry that was very good. My non-vegan co-worker also enjoyed his meal straight from the menu. This was my first time here, but if I'm back in the area again, it won't be my last.

• Visited October 2012