“Good food with torture”

Dining options: Reservations
Sneads Ferry, North Carolina
“Good food with torture”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I really hate to write a bad review but honestly it what this site is about. We have eaten here at least six times and everytime I leave here I say there is no way we are coming back again, why because the service is horrible as I call it torture. I understand everything takes time and the food is cooked to order, but ten to fifteen minutes for our drinks of wine. The amount of time for the meals to come also are very long and this is why I say eating here is torture. I understand that this is not fast food but I can not be a more honest than what I have written. I will not come back here to eat again and will drive just a little further into Augusta Maine for better food and better service.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank 2antigua

Augusta, Maine
“Fancy fish”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I would never go here again without someone vey familiar with Thai seafood, I had some spring rolls and sushi. Paid way too much for a little fish and rice with sauce. The dipping sauce was too spicy with little depth to the flavor. My companion had a seaweed salad which tasted Ok, but I would never order. Service was OK.

Visited May 2013
Belgrade, Maine
“Delicious Sushi”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I shared two different sushi rolls-the Sumo Roll
(eel tempura, cucumber, spicy mayo, avocado) and the Cafe de Bangkok Roll
(salmon, tuna, red snapper, crabstick, spicy mayo, scallions). Both were good, but both of us preferred the Sumo roll! I love anything eel in my sushi-so this is a wonderful choice :) We both ordered the Thai Iced Tea, which neither of us had tried or heard of before...Um, amazing is putting it lightly ;) Perfect mixture of sweet and "spice" to go with sushi. We were there during Hallowell Day and got to see the fireworks from our seats as well. Parking was hard to find only because of it being Hallowell Day fireworks. It's nice having a sushi restaurant in this area of town and not having to go far, to say Waterville, Brunswick or Portland! We will be back for more sushi that is for sure! :) My only complaint is the size (and price) of the rolls, the Sumo was 4 or 5 pieces and was the same price ($14) as the larger Cafe de Bangkok roll (which was 8 or 9 pieces).

• Visited July 2013
Augusta, Maine
“Lots of Choices!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is a great place in Hallowell. Beautiful view of the river and wonderful staff. The Fresh Rolls are my favorite and depending on my mood - I get Pad Thai, Sushi or one of their stir fry specials. All delicious! They're new menus have all the Gluten free and vegetarian dishes specially marked, which makes it super easy too.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Paige T
Gardiner, Maine
“Overpriced and Overcooked”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

After a hiatus of 10-15 years, I decided to try Cafe De Bangkok another try. It reminded me why I tried it once and never went again. The margarita was kinda/sorta OK - nothing special. My dinner companion ordered coffee with a shot of Bailey's. He said is was ok, and it wasn't later till I found out it was $8.00. That's right, folks, EIGHT DOLLARS for a cup of coffee with a shot of Bailey's. I thought this was Hallowell, Maine, not New York City. I followed on with a mid-shelf sauvignon blanc - drinkable but overpriced at $8.00. The apps were quite good, gyoza and shumai. The main courses were waaaaaaaaay overcooked (pork katsu for me and teryaki chicken for Danny). Very dry. Service was fine. With tip, about $50.00 per person ought to get much higher quality food.

• Visited June 2013