“Delicious Sushi”

Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I shared two different sushi rolls-the Sumo Roll
(eel tempura, cucumber, spicy mayo, avocado) and the Cafe de Bangkok Roll
(salmon, tuna, red snapper, crabstick, spicy mayo, scallions). Both were good, but both of us preferred the Sumo roll! I love anything eel in my sushi-so this is a wonderful choice :) We both ordered the Thai Iced Tea, which neither of us had tried or heard of before...Um, amazing is putting it lightly ;) Perfect mixture of sweet and "spice" to go with sushi. We were there during Hallowell Day and got to see the fireworks from our seats as well. Parking was hard to find only because of it being Hallowell Day fireworks. It's nice having a sushi restaurant in this area of town and not having to go far, to say Waterville, Brunswick or Portland! We will be back for more sushi that is for sure! :) My only complaint is the size (and price) of the rolls, the Sumo was 4 or 5 pieces and was the same price ($14) as the larger Cafe de Bangkok roll (which was 8 or 9 pieces).

There are newer reviews for Cafe de Bangkok

Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is a great place in Hallowell. Beautiful view of the river and wonderful staff. The Fresh Rolls are my favorite and depending on my mood - I get Pad Thai, Sushi or one of their stir fry specials. All delicious! They're new menus have all the Gluten free and vegetarian dishes specially marked, which makes it super easy too.

1  Thank Paige T
Reviewed June 22, 2013

After a hiatus of 10-15 years, I decided to try Cafe De Bangkok another try. It reminded me why I tried it once and never went again. The margarita was kinda/sorta OK - nothing special. My dinner companion ordered coffee with a shot of Bailey's. He said is was ok, and it wasn't later till I found out it was $8.00. That's right, folks, EIGHT DOLLARS for a cup of coffee with a shot of Bailey's. I thought this was Hallowell, Maine, not New York City. I followed on with a mid-shelf sauvignon blanc - drinkable but overpriced at $8.00. The apps were quite good, gyoza and shumai. The main courses were waaaaaaaaay overcooked (pork katsu for me and teryaki chicken for Danny). Very dry. Service was fine. With tip, about $50.00 per person ought to get much higher quality food.

2  Thank Peter E
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Place is really good. Nice view of kennebec river.
Food was ok. I went for lunch n orderedred curry combo. Food was ok but I felt portion was small.
So I feel not to go for combo if u r really hungry.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

we have never been to this resturant .we were going to visit someone in Hallowell so we love thai food ,as we have a thai resturant in Belfast & eat this all the time .so we checked on our computer & found this one .I called 1/2 hr .before we got there ,placed our order .we arrived within 45 min but figured it would still b warm .we had to wait at least 25 mins.,ppl were complaining saying they had called 1/2 hr. before & was waiting 45 min .so after 25 I figured I was lucky .Wished we had left .Tom yum koong soup was so spicey we had to dump it (I told them 0 spice )I also had never quite seen the way that was made .1 piece of shrimp & huge chunks of mostly onions ,yek ,so we threw 3 soups away ,no one ate it Then the seafood pad thai had 2 mussels ,IN THE SHELL !I could not believe it .1 scallop ,3 callamari & I think 1 shrimp .very dry .Needless to say almost $70.00 later we will NEVER waste our money there again ~!!!!NEVER AGAIN !!If u r ever in Belfast try Sengthai it will blow this one out of the water !!!Thank goodness I know Thai food or this would have turned me off to Thai food .

1  Thank Dee K

Been to Cafe de Bangkok? Share your experiences!