“THE AYES HAVE IT!”

The Liberal Cup
Ranked #1 of 24 Restaurants in Hallowell
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Liberal Cup Public House & Brewery in Hallowell, ME, is our take on the traditional English pub. Our mission is to provide a gathering place for our local friends and seasonal visitors to enjoy good food and drink. Like the pubs that dot the English countryside, The Liberal Cup is an inviting and cozy spot to bring family and friends. And while the draughts will conjure that familiar flavor of jolly ol’ England (ales and bitters being our specialty), we’re happy to brag that the food will not. Our award-winning chef has taken classic pub fare and elevated it with fresh, local ingredients. His daily specials highlight Maine's seasonal offerings and on the weekends he likes to turn The Cup into a gastropub with his haute and nouvelle cuisine creations.
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife and I, after making a stop in Augusta delivering some legal docs (my wife's a lawyer) decided to pop into the Liberal Cup for some libations. Our intention was for one drink and then off to dinner (most likely the excellent A-1 Diner in Gardiner). We never made it. The Liberal Cup, and the fabulous bartenders Daniel and Kim were so warm, so friendly, so inviting, so much fun that we decided to stay (for dinner). Daniel informed me that the food was fantastic (what else would you expect) and that the chef is classically trained. Mildly skeptical though I was, I was also intrigued by the extensive menu and especially the "specials". Soft-shell crab? Osso Buco?? (Made with pork instead of the usual veal?). I asked Daniel to ask the chef if the Osso Buco was prepared (before I fully realized that we're talking pork and not veal) with the bone in and marrow (a must!). Daniel came back within seconds and said "yes". Bring it on!

The soft-shell crab - Thai-style - was excellent but the Osso Buco really blew my mind. WOW! I was wildly and pleasantly surprised and there's no question we'll be back. Big fun crowd (yes it was crowded, and noisy, and loaded with regulars drinking away; as it should be!) AND FABULOUS FOOD. Thank you to Chef Kirk (outstanding!) and the congenial owner Geoff - and those great bartenders Daniel and Kim - and there's not question you'll see us soon.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I go to the liberal cup maybe once or twice a month and I have yet to be disappointed. The food is always great along with their service. Highly satisfied every time I leave.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We go there probably at least every other month and with no regrets. If you are looking for great comfort food and really good brews, this should be one of your first choices.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

The beer here is top notch. I love the bug lager and alewife ale. The food here is also excellent!!! There is a beer and cheese soup on the menu that rotates beer and cheese flavor combinations often. I have never been disappointed!! The blackened blue chicken wrap is excellent. Servers have always been friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend the cup for great food, drink, service and atmosphere!!! Cheers!!!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This place has it all, awsome home/micro brew, great food (they have pub food but also will completely suprise you with some fine fine gourmet dishes as well), great service, great music too.

I've had everything from home-made fish tacos to Osso Bucco there. The head Chef used to live in Alaska and was voted Chef of the year when he lived there. All their chefs are excellent and the food is always delicous. The Beer is just incredible too.

Been to The Liberal Cup? Share your experiences!