“Excellent beer and best Reuben Sandwich ever”
Review of The Liberal Cup

The Liberal Cup
Ranked #1 of 24 Restaurants in Hallowell
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Alexandria, Virginia
“Excellent beer and best Reuben Sandwich ever”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This is a restaurant and brewery. We came here on a Sunday morning on our way from upper Maine to Portland to catch our plane home. We were short on time and weren't sure if we could get in and out in time to drive to Portland. I collect beer glasses and beer shirts and that was the main reason for coming here. The restaurant's website stated it opened at 1130, thus making our schedule tight. We arrived early to walk in Hallowell - river is beautiful here - and only minutes from Augusta. We were pleasantly surprised that the place was already open. Turns out they have a Sunday brunch and open earlier for that - how fortuitous for us. The decor is what we call a typical neighborhood "dive" bar, but we like that. Mostly locals come here "where everybody knows their name." Another couple was at the bar and greeted us like we were old friends. Turned out to be a former state senator, judge and lawyer. We had a great friendly conversation. We had the Reuben sandwich (on marble rye) and the spicy blackened chicken blue cheese wrap. Both were absolutely excellent. My wife and I are big fans of Reubens and this was for me, without a doubt, the best corned beef Reuben I've had. The restaurant makes its own corned beef and it was so tender and delicious. We talked with a young couple from Massachusetts, who came here three times specifically for the food. They serve mostly session beer - ale, cream ale, cask ESB. They have a special where you buy the $7.00, 20oz glass, and you get the beer for free and keep the glass. This place was a major highlight of our visit in Maine. If you like good beer and excellent food in a local, rustic setting, this is the place for you. We also saw a lot of folks ordering the breakfast buffet - and it looked very good.

• Visited October 2012

Boston, Massachusetts
“Scrumptious Food”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My family and I ate here the night after my dreadful experience at SLATES and i feared the worst, but boy was i wrong. Excellent atmosphere and lovely food. Great dining experience!

• Visited October 2012
sACO, me
“Micro Brew pub with attitude”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Went in on a sunday night as we were in town on business - Imagine live entertainment on a Sunday night. The trio was good and tucked away in a corner of the pub. Our server was pleasant and very attentive. Food had a not miss - served hot and quickly.
The beer sampler (6 different) was a good choice and could be split between two. The tastings vary but are listed on a board in the resturant. Nice place to eat - and take or meet a group of friends.

Visited October 2012
Massachusetts
“Great Pub”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I go for the locally brewed beer but the food is always good. The beers on tap offer a great selection of fresh brews. There is a full list of appetizers to enjoy with drinks and a typical pub fare for dinner.

• Visited March 2012
Gardiner, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tasty as always”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I am a local and I love this place. Always fun, never boring, food is great and yes, definitely try the fried clams and beer cheese soup! YUM!

Visited September 2012

Been to The Liberal Cup? Share your experiences!