“Very Good Mexican Food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Augusta, Maine
“Very Good Mexican Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

This is a relatively new restaurant. I've been here twice. The food was really very good both times - Beef Chimichanga the first time and Beef Fahitas the second. Tapas are very creative (dates stuffed with chorizo and served with raspberry sauce, deep fried jalepenos stuffed with shrimp) and delicious. Refried beans are white and tasty. Service is friendly and excellent. Serving sizes are generous. Each person in our party of 6 was very happy with both their choice of tapas and entree. Prices are reasonable.

If there is a deal breaker, it is the noise. The acoustics are awful. Our first visit was on a Saturday night; it was very busy, and impossible to carry on a conversation with the person across from you. My last visit was on a Wednesday night; it was busy, but not so crowded. Talking was easier, but still a challenge. They truly need to address this issue; it takes away from the whole experience which would be delightful otherwise.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank debsmiley1

Manchester, Maine
“Not awful, not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

We really wanted to love this restaurant. It's owner has great history from his previous Mexican Restaurant in Gardiner, Maine, but this is not the old Bravos. The portions are smaller, the salsa didn't taste as good, and the food was OK, but just nothing special. In our area you sort of have to compare a Mexican restaurant to the only other one around - Margaritas in Augusta - which wins hands down. Sorry, Bravos.

I might go back next spring to try a beer and nachos on their deck overlooking the river. I hear it's quite nice.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank woodsdweller
Gardiner, Maine
“YUM!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I came with a friend for dinner in September. It was a nice evening so we took a table on the deck overlooking the scenic Kennebec River. Lovely! Diners are served one complimentary basket of fresh, warmed, crispy tortilla chips with homemade salsa. We both had the beef chimichanga and loved it. It was served with Spanish rice and refried white beans, which I preferred to the traditional refried beans. It also came with a choice of red or green chili on the chimichanga (I tried both). We both could only eat half of it. That's too bad because the dessert tray looked scrumptious. Our server was very pleasant and attentive. I think the key here is to arrive early to get decent service, before they get slammed and bogged down. I couldn't wait to come back and have the beef burrito, which was my favorite thing when Bravo's was located in Gardiner many years ago. I went again last week with 3 friends, again, EARLY. The burrito was everything that I remembered! It, too, was accompanied by Spanish rice and the white beans. Again, I could only eat half. The fish tacos looked really good. Everyone liked their meal. Loved my Margarita, too! Our server was capable and friendly. The décor is tastefully Southwestern and features the original restored hand-painted mural done by a local artist. I will be back. Go early! Go hungry!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank skeelovr
Boston,MASS
“Do not waste your hard earned money here ...please....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Awful. Simply awful. Read on ...

My wife and I dined here on Saturday night looking forward to some Mexican food. Since a table was unavailable when we arrived - we chose to get a drink at the bar while we waited for a table. The bartender was completely overwhelmed - and it took 15 minutes just to get his attention for one drink ( mind you I was at a chair at the bar ) ...and that was only after I begged. 30 minutes later - we had our table. We were greeted - and ordered drinks. Another 15 minutes go by .... no drinks. Finally the server brought us two waters - stating that it would be some time before the drinks made it out from the bar ( why they only had one bartender on a Saturday night is amazing? )....Given the delay for the drinks ...we order our entrees...Fish tacos and Chimichangas....Finally the drinks arrive.Then the wait begins....And our server completely disappears. The server is nowhere to be found. 45 minutes later - our food arrives delivered by the kitchen staff. It is absolutely stone cold. I wait another 15 minutes in frustration...hoping the server will return. She never does. Finally - in exasperation...I begin a quest to find her....when I finally do ..I explain that I merely want the check ..that the food is awful ..and I'd like to leave. She brings me the check - charges me for my entree and drink ..and says she is sorry.

On the way out I speak to the Manager and explain what happened...There is no apology ...no recovery ....he just mutters " maybe you should try us on another night ...when you can give another chance :

Are you kidding me ?

I will tell everyone I can about my experience and I will never be back.

Please do not waste your time or money here... they are not invested in Success.

As I said ...awful...simply awful....

• Visited November 2013
5 Thank familymanBoston_MASS
China, Maine
“Great food and service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

We went to Bravos tonight for the first time. We had a group of 7 so we had to wait a little while as they only have one table big enough for all of us, but I am glad we waited. Our server was friendly, helpful, and prompt. The food was yummy!! Everyone in our group loved their meal. Oh and the margaritas were perfect.

• Visited October 2013