See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We spent 6 years spending Parent's Weekend in Maine and needing to find a hotel in-between the 2 - fortunately, during the last 2 years, we were able to stay in the Augusta area, where our son was located. I went on line and found the Second Street Bed & Breakfast, which was truly a wonderful find! Sara Dix, and her daughter Dena, run a wonderful inn. Tucked away on a side street in Hallowell, it is secluded, yet within walking distance to town. I absolutely love Sara's decorating style - vintage, yet quirky. And don't miss the artwork by her son Tom. Breakfasts are very good - strong, freshly brewed coffee (about the best in my travels!) served in the kitchen - then the meal is served in the dining room - I especially loved her fruit salads and the fresh baked muffins! Take their advice for day trips and lobster roll stops - you won't go wrong. We stayed in the Green Room both times, but all of them are really charming. There Restaurant choices are pretty limited, but we really liked Joyce's and Slates. Definitely make reservations in advance! There are also some interesting antique and gift stores in town, but we were never there during their open hours.

Room Tip: They're all charming!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank RetroKitch
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Tucked away in a close-knit and very welcoming community is the Second Street Bed and Breakfast. I try to vacation each year at the Second Street Bed and Breakfast - it is an absolute favorite of mine.

The building itself is all New England while the decor hints of adventures from all over the world. The collection is full of color, eclectic and charming while the atmosphere is completely comfortable and inviting. Sara and Dena Dix operate the bed and breakfast. Not only are they extremely helpful about the area, they are attentive hostesses, and are wonderful cooks! The town of Hallowell is wonderfully rich with the arts, and there is plenty of delicious dining, antiquing and history. It is a perfect getaway for unwinding and enriching oneself!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MacVarna
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I was incredibly suppressed and impressed the with Second Street B & B, I've never been to a place that has so much character and personality to it. The rooms are exceptionally unique and impressive with a very clear amount of hard work put into each and every one. I'm very particular about places I stay with the fear or being uncomfortable but I instantly felt at home right when I walked through the door. If it wasn't the charming atmosphere that get you it will be the friendly and outgoing staff that will. They welcomed each one of their guests in as if they were their own family, it made me feel like my business was truly appreciated. I felt no need to leave the comforts of my room but when I did, and ventured out into the town I was again, surprised. The town of Hallowell has much to offer everyone in every age range, I personally enjoyed the artist feel that the town gives. With a live band playing in every bar/restaurant I went into there was a unique experience around every corner. I can't say enough pleasant things about my experience at the B & B, other than the 6 hours it took me to drive there I would make the drive again in a heart beat. If your looking for a romantic weekend getaway or a week family vacation, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place to you!

Room Tip: Get the room with the big tub in it!!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Stephanie_L_111
Reviewed July 31, 2011

My wife and I were very impressed with the service Dena provided and the quality of the rooms and meals at Second Street B&B. Location and close proximity to downtown Hallowell made this a great choice. Some real nice art galleries and restaurants maek Halloweel a real hidden gem and made Second Street nice choice. We highly recommend eating at Joyce's restaurant downtown. Ask to sit on the outdoor deck. Being only 45 minutes to the coast made for a great ride. Hope to make it back to Second Street B&B next year.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BradyWanderer
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Entering this building, I noticed the bright colors first. This old home has very intricate woodwork and fireplaces (not being used, but visually appealing). I enjoyed a delicious breakfast of homemade muffins, fresh fruit, eggs with basil, mushrooms & cheddar, slices of bacon and whole grain toast after my morning wake up cup of freshly ground bean coffee. The cook/owner was very friendly, answering questions about my planned route for the day and made me feel quite at home. I definitely enjoyed my stay and would return in the future.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo