See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 31, 2011

My wife and I were very impressed with the service Dena provided and the quality of the rooms and meals at Second Street B&B. Location and close proximity to downtown Hallowell made this a great choice. Some real nice art galleries and restaurants maek Halloweel a real hidden gem and made Second Street nice choice. We highly recommend eating at Joyce's restaurant downtown. Ask to sit on the outdoor deck. Being only 45 minutes to the coast made for a great ride. Hope to make it back to Second Street B&B next year.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BradyWanderer
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Entering this building, I noticed the bright colors first. This old home has very intricate woodwork and fireplaces (not being used, but visually appealing). I enjoyed a delicious breakfast of homemade muffins, fresh fruit, eggs with basil, mushrooms & cheddar, slices of bacon and whole grain toast after my morning wake up cup of freshly ground bean coffee. The cook/owner was very friendly, answering questions about my planned route for the day and made me feel quite at home. I definitely enjoyed my stay and would return in the future.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank JosephL010
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Right now I and my two best friends from childhood are planning our annual get together once again at the Second Street Bed & Breakfast. This will be our third year. We time it at the end of August-beginning of September, when I am in Maine taking a vacation from my job - running a B&B in St. Thomas!

We love this B&B! Sara and her daughter Dena run this immaculate, elegant and perfectly restored mansion as a cozy retreat. The building may be formal but the furnishings are whimsical and warm. All of the five rooms are different so it is hard to pick. My current favorite is the green room, with its marble fireplace, comfy king size bed and writing desk between two windows. Here I can use the secure wireless to stay on top of reservations for St. Thomas while I am being a welcome guest in Maine.

Sara and Dena make sure you feel that this is your home while you are here. You feel free to take over the sitting room, the den and the veranda. Padding through the upstairs and downstairs halls in stocking feet - I bet it is nice in the wintertime too with fireplaces blazing.

Yummy breakfasts are served in the dining room around a big table and are leisurely and friendly affairs (unless you are on an early schedule and must eat and run). The dining room opens onto the veranda and - like most of the rooms in the house - has a beautiful fireplace.

The B&B is an easy walk to my favorite Hallowell restaurants (Slates, Joyces, Hatties) and to the "rail trail" scenic walk along the river upstream and down. Hallowell itself, by the way, is a perfect Maine colonial village inhabited by an interesting and eclectic mix of musicians, artists, antique dealers and those whose work may revolve around the state capitol in Augusta but who would rather live in this special place.

If you find yourself in the capitol area for any reason, work or play, spend a few nights at Second Street and you will be very glad you did!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Pamela E
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Beautiful home with lots of charm. Rooms were very spacious and decorated with style. Owners are very gracious and helpful. Short walk to Library, riverfront, downtown area with lots of resturants to choose from. Hallowell is a wonderful small Maine city with quiet streets and historical buildings.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fabulous!!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peaveysister
Reviewed June 30, 2011

This was by far one of the most beautiful bed and breakfasts my husband and I have ever stayed in. The quaint little town of Hallowell was wonderful also. The people are so friendly. No one has ever matched the level of service and the accommodations we experienced at Second Street. My husband and I have stayed many places and this was exceptional from the service to the food to the comfy bed and warm, friendly colors of our room! Thank you, Second Street Bed and Breakfast, for welcoming us into your home.

Room Tip: Just call.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple