“Colorful!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Second Street Bed & Breakfast

Second Street Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hallowell
Second Street Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hallowell B&B and Inns
Hartford, Connecticut
“Colorful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

Entering this building, I noticed the bright colors first. This old home has very intricate woodwork and fireplaces (not being used, but visually appealing). I enjoyed a delicious breakfast of homemade muffins, fresh fruit, eggs with basil, mushrooms & cheddar, slices of bacon and whole grain toast after my morning wake up cup of freshly ground bean coffee. The cook/owner was very friendly, answering questions about my planned route for the day and made me feel quite at home. I definitely enjoyed my stay and would return in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank JosephL010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
St. Thomas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

Right now I and my two best friends from childhood are planning our annual get together once again at the Second Street Bed & Breakfast. This will be our third year. We time it at the end of August-beginning of September, when I am in Maine taking a vacation from my job - running a B&B in St. Thomas!

We love this B&B! Sara and her daughter Dena run this immaculate, elegant and perfectly restored mansion as a cozy retreat. The building may be formal but the furnishings are whimsical and warm. All of the five rooms are different so it is hard to pick. My current favorite is the green room, with its marble fireplace, comfy king size bed and writing desk between two windows. Here I can use the secure wireless to stay on top of reservations for St. Thomas while I am being a welcome guest in Maine.

Sara and Dena make sure you feel that this is your home while you are here. You feel free to take over the sitting room, the den and the veranda. Padding through the upstairs and downstairs halls in stocking feet - I bet it is nice in the wintertime too with fireplaces blazing.

Yummy breakfasts are served in the dining room around a big table and are leisurely and friendly affairs (unless you are on an early schedule and must eat and run). The dining room opens onto the veranda and - like most of the rooms in the house - has a beautiful fireplace.

The B&B is an easy walk to my favorite Hallowell restaurants (Slates, Joyces, Hatties) and to the "rail trail" scenic walk along the river upstream and down. Hallowell itself, by the way, is a perfect Maine colonial village inhabited by an interesting and eclectic mix of musicians, artists, antique dealers and those whose work may revolve around the state capitol in Augusta but who would rather live in this special place.

If you find yourself in the capitol area for any reason, work or play, spend a few nights at Second Street and you will be very glad you did!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Pamela E
Cochrane, Dominica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

Beautiful home with lots of charm. Rooms were very spacious and decorated with style. Owners are very gracious and helpful. Short walk to Library, riverfront, downtown area with lots of resturants to choose from. Hallowell is a wonderful small Maine city with quiet streets and historical buildings.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fabulous!!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peaveysister
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

This was by far one of the most beautiful bed and breakfasts my husband and I have ever stayed in. The quaint little town of Hallowell was wonderful also. The people are so friendly. No one has ever matched the level of service and the accommodations we experienced at Second Street. My husband and I have stayed many places and this was exceptional from the service to the food to the comfy bed and warm, friendly colors of our room! Thank you, Second Street Bed and Breakfast, for welcoming us into your home.

Room Tip: Just call.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ExplorerGals
Madurai, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

I have stayed at Second Street B & B on a number of occasions and it makes me smile every time. The interior of this B & B is colorful, bold, a bit eclectic, funky and fun, much like the owner who decorated it, Sara Dix. All guest rooms are a different color and a different theme. Art ( a lot of it local, collected over the years) and quirky kick-knacks are scattered liberally throughout the house. They all seem to have a story, and each time I come I notice something new that I did not notice during my last stay. Sara and her daughter Dena operate the B & B. They are both fun, welcoming hosts (hostesses?) -- not to mention talented cooks. I really enjoy this B & B. I love the overall vibe and I always leave feeling relaxed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2009

The Second Street B&B is a terrific place to stay in Hallowell. It has sizable, charming rooms and excellent owners who are at hand to provide great information. All the elements of the experience are of high quality, from the bathroom fittings to the large bed and chunky towels, to the organic breakfast fried fresh up for you! The house is spacious, so one can easily find a private spot in the library room, have a chat in the front living room, or enjoy the back porch.
It's a short walk on the hilly roads to the historic town center with nice shops and restaurants. Definitely recommended for a change of scenery and relaxation!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

My wife and I have stayed at several B&B's in the Hallowell and Augusta area and this one is our clear favorite. It's in a beautifully restored historic Maine building a short walk from the Kennebec River shore and downtown Hallowell's popular antique shops and restaurants. Every room has its own personality, created by unique set of colors, furnishings, antique furniture and artwork. The owners are friendly, the food is excellent and overall you just get a nice comfortable feeling when you stay there. In addition to being the perfect location for enjoying Hallowell, it's minutes from Augusta and easy driving distance to the coast. We highly recommend this B&B and look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SubtropicBob
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hallowell
Maple Hill Farm Inn
#1 of 9 in Augusta
Homewood Suites by Hilton Augusta
BEST WESTERN PLUS Augusta Civic Center Inn
Comfort Inn Civic Center

Been to Second Street Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!