See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Beautiful home with lots of charm. Rooms were very spacious and decorated with style. Owners are very gracious and helpful. Short walk to Library, riverfront, downtown area with lots of resturants to choose from. Hallowell is a wonderful small Maine city with quiet streets and historical buildings.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fabulous!!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peaveysister
Reviewed June 30, 2011

This was by far one of the most beautiful bed and breakfasts my husband and I have ever stayed in. The quaint little town of Hallowell was wonderful also. The people are so friendly. No one has ever matched the level of service and the accommodations we experienced at Second Street. My husband and I have stayed many places and this was exceptional from the service to the food to the comfy bed and warm, friendly colors of our room! Thank you, Second Street Bed and Breakfast, for welcoming us into your home.

Room Tip: Just call.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ExplorerGals
Reviewed October 13, 2010

I have stayed at Second Street B & B on a number of occasions and it makes me smile every time. The interior of this B & B is colorful, bold, a bit eclectic, funky and fun, much like the owner who decorated it, Sara Dix. All guest rooms are a different color and a different theme. Art ( a lot of it local, collected over the years) and quirky kick-knacks are scattered liberally throughout the house. They all seem to have a story, and each time I come I notice something new that I did not notice during my last stay. Sara and her daughter Dena operate the B & B. They are both fun, welcoming hosts (hostesses?) -- not to mention talented cooks. I really enjoy this B & B. I love the overall vibe and I always leave feeling relaxed.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 19, 2009

The Second Street B&B is a terrific place to stay in Hallowell. It has sizable, charming rooms and excellent owners who are at hand to provide great information. All the elements of the experience are of high quality, from the bathroom fittings to the large bed and chunky towels, to the organic breakfast fried fresh up for you! The house is spacious, so one can easily find a private spot in the library room, have a chat in the front living room, or enjoy the back porch.
It's a short walk on the hilly roads to the historic town center with nice shops and restaurants. Definitely recommended for a change of scenery and relaxation!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2009

My wife and I have stayed at several B&B's in the Hallowell and Augusta area and this one is our clear favorite. It's in a beautifully restored historic Maine building a short walk from the Kennebec River shore and downtown Hallowell's popular antique shops and restaurants. Every room has its own personality, created by unique set of colors, furnishings, antique furniture and artwork. The owners are friendly, the food is excellent and overall you just get a nice comfortable feeling when you stay there. In addition to being the perfect location for enjoying Hallowell, it's minutes from Augusta and easy driving distance to the coast. We highly recommend this B&B and look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple