“Spencer Magic”
Review of Spencer Pond Camps

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Greenville
Spencer Pond Camps
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 17, 2012

My wife and I spent our 16th annual week at Spencer Pond Camps in October of last year. Our first week in 1994 was on our honeymoon and Spencer Pond remains one of the most special places in our lives. We have only missed two years in that time. Dana and Christie are wonderful hosts and seem to always achieve that most elusive quality of being non-obtrusive, while at the same time being attentive to your needs at the camp. Whether a person comes to Spencer Pond Camps for a naturalist experience, a sporting experience, a family experience, or just to have a quiet and peaceful meditiative experience, they can find what they are looking for here. The amenities are basic, but very comfortable. The everchanging scenery is beautiful. This place is a very unique find in today's ultra-connected, elecronic landscape. If you can't stand the thought of being without every single modern convenience, this experience may not be for you. But if you want to experience the Maine North Woods in a traditional camp atmosphere with knowledgeable and gracious hosts, Spencer Pond Camps is hard to beat.

2  Thank Ralph M

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Our family had a wonderful visit to Spencer pond camps. We can not wait to return.
It was a relaxing time spent in the wilderness. While visiting the camp we saw 7 moose, 2 bear, eagles, ducks, beaver, geese and much more. We caught more fish than we could count. We walked, hiked and kayaked. Dana and Christie were wonderful guides showing us the hot spots for fishing and directing us to the appropriate trails for our family. Overall a excellent vacation!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jennifer P
Reviewed February 10, 2012

What a wonderful four days Betty and I had at Spencer Pond Camps. Christine and Dana are wonderful hosts. It was nice to get back to basics and enjoy the outdoors in a very calm and peaceful setting!!!! We will be back!!!!

Room Tip: The Bemsis was a great cabin for the two of us, just right!!!
1  Thank livinmainenow
Reviewed February 2, 2012

We had the sweetest little cabin in just the right spot. A beautiful view of Spencer Pond. Although there were three of us a we all slept in the big bed so comfortably. Our little girl loved each day and didn't seem to mind no electricity, pluming or television. I didn't mind not driving anywhere and pumping water. Actually I enjoyed the little kitchen and pumping water. One day when daddy was out searching for signs of moose my daughter and I hoped in a kayak and went for a paddle - it was so peaceful. Another day we hunted to find frogs - big frogs! We look forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: Ask and the camp can help you choose the right size camp for your group
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Tina C
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We found this to be a very nice place off the beaten path but yet not too far from Greenville for a day trip in. Pleasantly surprized. It is very peaceful and we were very comfortable. Our dogs were welcome and that is important to us. We are looking forward to bringing our one daughter and her family this year and our other daughter and her family the following year. We love the chickens, really fun addition to a wilderness area. The only thing that I found a bit difficult was the shower. Dana, Christine and the girls are great and made us feel right at home. We looking forward to coming back in the late summer.
Marlene & David LeMoyne

3  Thank dglemoyne
Reviewed January 30, 2012

There is no place like Spencer Pond Camps. My husband and I had been searching for years. Over the years we had camped with the kids and family, and now that the kids are on there own, we wanted to get away without the hastle of the camper or a tent. We always have enjoyed the campgrounds with NO generators, there are none now! To book a cabin we found only places that were geared toward tourists with all the ammenities. So, we had all but given up. Until, we found Spencer Pond Camps!

Our stay was everything we dreamed it would be. 1) Quiet, peaceful, clean and "homey". 2)The owners were very helful and friendly. 3) The pond is absolutely beautiful, you cannot see another structure ... no people, no camps, no stores, no vehicles. What you will see ... deer feeding on the opposite side of the pond, moose wading along the shore, a bald eagle flying overhead, and the majestic view of the mountains. 4) The water is beautiful and clear and I never saw anything but fish but If you are going to swim and are scared of leaches (which by the way, are in every pond in Maine) rent a room at the marriot and swim in the pool. 5) The fishing was great, we use the canoe, the owners graciously did not charge us for, and paddled in the sunset AND caught 3 trout! We also caught some off the dock. 6) I normally would rather use the woods than an outhouse, but the outhouse was incredibly clean. Each cabin comes with its own privy and the owners cleaned it every day! Well, actually I don't know who cleaned, because we never saw anyone, it was just magically clean. No smell what so ever. Amazing. 7) We were celebrating our 25 wedding anniversary and so privacy was what we wanted when we booked, and we got it!

Absolutely wonderful. We ARE going back this year to celebrate our 26th!

We had such a great time, our kids have asked for a certificate for christmas so they can go with their spouses.

I do not recommend choosing Spencer Camps if you are:
Affraid of Deer, Moose, Fish or Leaches
Affraid of tripping on a stump
Affraid of birds or bird poop
Affraid of being without technology
Affraid to drive on a road for over an hour and not see a vehicle or a building

For the rest of us...an unbelievable experience. We are blessed to have a place in this crazy world where we can still go and enjoy nature, and each other!

Karen and Don Lanpher

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Karen L
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I certainly understand that this place is "rustic" but "dangerous" wasn't anywhere on the website. The cabins were fine, clean enough, etc. etc. but my trip was skewed by one major incident: the dock in front of our cabin actually BROKE. My friend and I went out on the dock at night to watch the stars and meteor shower when my foot busted THROUGH the wood and I fell head first into the canoe next to the dock and rolled, fully clothed, into the water. At which point one of the owners came out to tell us it was "quiet time." I had to let my friend deal with her because I was soaked to the bone and ready to rage.

The other owner came out the next morning to take a look and said, "we were hoping to get one more season out of that dock." Oh really? So this means they were very aware this dock was old and unsafe. Negligence doesn't even begin to cover it.

THEN to add insult to injury, my friend and I were late checking out becuase we were doing dishes and cleaning up and when we went to pay the bill, they had the NERVE to charge us a late check out fee. Not only did they offer me NOTHING in return for my scraped up leg and banged head (I really could have been seriously injured), they were trying to milk us out of more money because we were a half hour late checking out. I did my best to stay calm (for the sake of my friend, otherwise I would have laid into these slum lords) and they did end up taking off the late check out charge.

Oh and let's not forget a major point left out of the website - the pond is riddled with leaches so you can't swim.

So let's recap, shall we?

1) Dock BROKE, could have been seriously injured (and I did hurt my leg/head)
2) Was not offered any form of compensation - THEY NEVER EVEN SAID 'SORRY'
3) They attempted to charge us for a late check out
4) Cannot swim in the pond unless you want to donate blood to the suckers

I was so disappointed. I'm from Maine. I'm rural. I love my home state. But bad business is bad business. Do your research if you're thinking of staying here. Be very careful if you're bringing your kids.

Let's just say I won't be back - without my lawyer. Or a peg leg.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank Kimberly T
SpencerPondCamps, Guest Relations Manager at Spencer Pond Camps, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2012

It is unfortunate this is the perception and opinions that this guest left with, we did offer our apologies, and will do so again here publicly. The facts are the cabins are currently undergoing a restoration, two of the cabins are complete, and three new docks have been built, the remaining docks are scheduled to be replaced in 2012 and I am sure that was conveyed to these guests,. These are historic sporting camps, set deep in the North Woods of Maine. I will let potential guests come to their own conclusions based on this and other reviews but as with anything old and authentically historic or antique, it does wear out eventually, even with regular maintenance. It will wear out faster if it is put through rigorous, repetitive motions or not used gently or used in a fashion it was not intended for. We make every attempt to be proactive with our maintenance. We do indeed have leeches in the ponds, they tend to frequent the rocky shallow weedy areas, as they do every pond in Maine. Despite the marketing suggestion for our website, it probably isn’t the best marketing idea to highlight it on our website in bold lettering, but we are VERY honest about it and will think about adding it to our FAQ list, along with the information about black flies and our outhouses which is already included. These cabins are authentic, extremely remote (14 miles via dirt roads to our closest neighbors), and set deep in the heart of Maine's North Woods on a pristine and undeveloped pond with absolutely no amenities other than everything we provide onsite. We want our guests to be well informed when they arrive, We do tell guests where the best swimming areas are & make sure to advise those that are swimming to avoid the weedy areas. Most of our guests have no concerns and enjoy their vacation swimming in the pond! For those interested, there is some great information to dispel many of the myths on leeches from the Maine Department of Environmental Protection. For parents who are considering bringing their children & their safety, please know our two young daughters are currently being raised at the camps, and creating family friendly atmosphere is our highest priority. Our little girls are among the hundreds of children who cherish their time at Spencer Pond and return with their parents each year to create lasting and fond memories. We pride ourselves on our FAMILY focused environment and our policies, such as the 10pm quiet time and zero tolerance for drugs and alcohol outside the cabins reflect that purposefully.