“Amazing Moose Safari”

Young's Guide Service
Ranked #2 of 12 Tours in Greenville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a small family run outfit that specializes in personalized one on one guided trips. Whether you are looking to take photos of moose in their natural habitat, hike in and fish remote ponds for native brook trout or hunt a variety of game the Moosehead Lake area offers, we have a package custom fit for you. With years of outdoor experience in the Moosehead Lake Region we know exactly where to go so all you have to do is relax and enjoy your time here.
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Going on a Moose Safari with Chris Young is our favorite memory of our vacation at Moosehead Lake. Chris picked my boyfriend and I up at 5am and drove us to Kodadjo and on back gravel roads until we reached a pond (lake). Everything was so still, mist was rolling off the lake, the sun was rising and there were two moose feeding in the distance - it was like something out of a dream. Chris brought us quite close to the moose in his canoe and was great about positioning us to get the perfect photograph. He also took us to another favorite moose sighting spot where we saw a female moose and her calf. Thanks Chris for such a memorable experience!

Reviewed August 31, 2012

My first experience with Young's Guides was over Memorial Day weekend. They were highly recommended by the owner of the campground we were staying at. I emailed them, and within an hour I got a reply from Beth Young. She answered all my questions and gave us their availability. We booked for aug 28 at 5am. About a week before we left, I sent an email to confirm and Beth was right on top of it. Told us that Chris would pick us up at 5am at the camp office. We got to the camp office at 4:50 and at 4:58 Chris pulled in. ( punctuality scores HUGE points with me!). We got in and headed out. On our way up to the pond, he pulled over and we spotted our first moose. It was a cow licking the ground, in a particularly salty area. After watching her for a few minutes, we headed to the pond. When we got there, he told us to be quiet, so we wouldn't scare any moose that might be there at the waters edge. There weren't any, so we got into our canoes. My husband and I got one and Chris took the kids with him. I was comfortable with that as I have never canoed before and my husband has only been once. I felt better with the kids with the experienced one. We paddled down the pond a bit and saw a huge bull moose at the edge, it was a pretty windy day and paddling was hard. Chris said the wind freaks the moose out, so we werent able to get very close to them. We went to the other side of the pond and saw another cow. We watched her for a while, then went back. I think the wind slowed us a bit. When we got back to shore he drove us to another spot that they like to go, but sadly we didn't see any. Chris told us to go back to the salt lick area about 7:30 pm and we would probably see more. We did and saw a cow, then a mama and calf came and chased the first cow away. Then they left and another ( or the same one) came back.

Overall we had a great time with Chris. He knew a lot about the moose, and the area. He answered all our questions and was great with the kids.

The only downer was when I tripped over a root and banged my head into a tree and lost my earring. So if anyone finds a small diamond stud earring, enjoy it!

By the way, when we checked in at the camp office, the owner gave us some pamphlets about moose tours. None of them were Chris' and when I told her we already booked with him, she was very impressed that we were able to get in with him since he books so fast. She said he was the best!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Spent a most wonderful morning (8-24-2012) with Chris Young in Greenville Maine and saw no less seven moose, including a Cow feeding at dawn in the dawn mist (see photos). This number of Moose in one day is highly unusual for August (Peak months are May to July), but Chris is truly an expert and a superb guide. He has the inside scoop. Forget large, noisy, group tours - they are large, unwieldy and get up late (6am is waaaay to late) with a low probability of success. Book ahead. Be prepared to get up as early as it takes, 4:30am, 5am, dress in dark colors, and be quiet as mice for two hours - including the kids - so that by the time the sun comes up you are in position on a beautiful Maine lake as the sun rises and the Moose are feeding. Awesome.

Go private tour and call Chris (207) 695 2661. Strongly recommend.

Tim L. New York

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Chris took us on a canoe tour of a small pond and we got to see the moose in their own setting. He is a very skilled guide and is able to get you up close without harassing or disturbing the wildlife. We saw two moose, two loon, and several deer, all VERY up close. He is very knowledgeable about the area. You do have to ask questions though. He will not give you a big lecture, but he knows a ton.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I recently did a moose safari tour with Chris Young. It was a fantastic experience. This guy really knows the terrain and the animals that live there. We saw many(nine!!) moose, loons, wild turkeys, hawks, frogs. As we were driving to the lake, we slowly pulled up next to a mature cow (female moose) standing on the side of the road. It was impressive to see how big these animals are. Though the moose were quite impressive, the best part for me was taking in the spectacular scenic landscape as we pulled up to the lake at 6am and seeing the mist over the water. The scene was majestic and there was total silence. It might have been the most calm moments of my life. Anyway, Chris is great and the trip is worth the time and money.