“Best guide in Greenville!”

Young's Guide Service
Ranked #2 of 12 Tours in Greenville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a small family run outfit that specializes in personalized one on one guided trips. Whether you are looking to take photos of moose in their natural habitat, hike in and fish remote ponds for native brook trout or hunt a variety of game the Moosehead Lake area offers, we have a package custom fit for you. With years of outdoor experience in the Moosehead Lake Region we know exactly where to go so all you have to do is relax and enjoy your time here.
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We went on a Moose Safari with Young's Guide Service and saw six moose! Well worth the price and Chris is a knowledgeable friendly person. Book early!

Reviewed July 17, 2011

My family and I had the pleasure of going on a Moose Safari with Chris Young a few nights ago. I can't say enough about the experience. It wasn't like going with a commercial tour company, it was more like going with a friend. My wife and I have two daughters (ages 7 and 3), and Chris was very accommodating to us, and was great with the kids. He picked us up at the hotel, drove us deep into the Maine woods to a serene little lake, just before sunset. It was warm and the water was like glass...very relaxing and Zen-like. We were the only ones on the lake, other than the osprey, beaver, deer, and moose. Chris spotted the moose from VERY far away, and brought us in to where we could get a good look and watch it for a while. The lake was shallow and stumpy there, but he spent a lot of time weaving the canoe around obstacles so we could get close to the moose. When I come back to Greenville, I wouldn't even consider another moose tour company. If you are into fishing or hunting, Chris is a full time guide and can help you with those activities as well. While in Greenville, also consider a float plane tour with Currier's Air Service and a cruise on the Kathadin. We did both of those as well, and thought they were great.

Reviewed July 15, 2011

My wife and I signed up with Chris Young, owner of Young's Guide Service, for a moose tour near Moosehead Lake on July 12th. We selected Chris as our guide because of his small group size (in our case just the two of us) and the high level of personal attention he offers each client. Chris picked us up in Greenville in his guide truck and we drove for about half an hour into deeper and deeper backwoods, finally arriving at a very remote lake. It seemed that we were the only three people for miles around. Upon arrival we unloaded the three person canoe and began our search for moose along the shoreline of the lake. It became clear very quickly that Chris knew what he was doing, both in the handling of the canoe and in finding moose.

Within the first twenty minutes or so we saw a young bull feeding in the shallows near the edge of the lake, but because of a gravel bar obstructing our path we could not approach as closely as we wanted. After a few minutes of watching him feed we moved on in hopes of a closer encounter. It was quite some time before we spotted our second moose. In fact, so much time had passed that the sun was beginning to set and thunderheads were building in the distance, an ominous sign of things to come. I feel that at this point many guides would have written the evening off as just a slow day, but Chris was determined to make our trip a success.

The second sighting would not have happened had it not been for the sharp eye of our guide. This larger bull was at least 1/4 mile away, just entering the water from a grass flat, when Chris pointed him out. It quickly became clear that getting close to the moose was not going to be an easy chore. Between us and the moose was a stump field with hundreds of tree stumps rising from the water to a height of about two feet. Once again the skill of our guide came into play and within a few minutes Chris had carefully navagated the canoe through the stumps to position us about 100 yards from the large bull. What better way to end a day than alone with one of natures most beautiful creatures on a remote wilderness lake as darkness falls.

After observing and photographing the moose for several minutes Chris indicated that it was time to head for the truck. The storm was moving in and we were rapidly loosing the last of our daylight. After a quick dash to the safety of the truck we loaded the canoe in semi-darkness as the first drops of rain began to fall. On our way out along the two-track road we saw our third moose in the headlights of the truck. I failed to mention the eagle that plucked a fish from the water just a few yards in front of the canoe earlier in the tour. That just made an already perfect trip even better.

The skill and dedication of our guide, Chris Young, made our evening of moose touring one of the highlights of our vacation in Maine. Chris went the extra mile to ensure that we had a plesant, safe, and successful experience. If we are ever back in the area we will certainly be giving Young's Guide Service another call.

Reviewed July 8, 2011

While at Moosehead Lake in Maine we hired Chris Young of Young's Guide Service to take us in a canoe very early in the morning to see the Moose feeding in the water and photograph them. The scenery was awesome and the Moose were amazing. Chris has so much information about the wildlife around there and about the Moose that it was also a great educational experience. He is an expert, but also a warm and friendly man who clearly loves his job. We will go back in the Fall to have him take us back out for photos with autumn colors for a back drop.

Reviewed August 4, 2010

“Picture yourself paddling a canoe on a remote mountain pond untouched by man, watching a mother (cow) moose and her baby feed by the edge of the water and the only sound you hear is the sloshing of the feeding moose & the airy cries of a loon.” This was my experience of my Moose Tour with Young’s Guide Service & was much more than I ever could have expected on my first trip to the North Woods of Maine!

Young’s Guide Service is a small service, meaning you get their only guide & owner, Chris Young. Unlike a larger guide service you know you are getting their best guide. Chris was amazing & great with my two kids! You could tell he has a true love for nature as you could hear his excitement in his voice as he shared his world with my family. This truly was the highlight of our vacation!
Dan