“What to expect while ice-fishing: for experienced & novice”

Northwoods Outfitters - Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 12 Tours in Greenville
More attraction details
Owner description: Northwood's Outfitters Is Maine's Premiere outfitter and guide service. We offer guided trips like Moose Watching & Wildlife Photography tours, Fishing Trips for Salmon, Trout and Bass, Guided ATV, Snowmobile Trips, Canoe, Kayak, and Rafting. Our Gear rentals include Canoes, Kayaks, Paddle boards,Camping gear, ATV's, UTV's, Snowmobiles, Bikes and more. The outfitters shop carries great outdoor brands like Patagonia, The North Face, Trek, Salomon, Wilderness systems and much more!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I booked the trip for myself, husband, and his best friend for the last day of March. I was a little unsure what to expect and the office staff was a mixed bag so far as helpfulness (one woman was helpful, the other really wasn't and gave us some wrong information). We arrived at 8AM the morning of the trip to purchase our one-day fishing license, and meet our guide, Matt. Rent the insulated bib overalls if you don't have insulated waterproof gear of your own, you're going to need it! Gloves that are waterproof and easy to remove are also a good idea, as are waterproof shoes that are at least calf high.

Matt was AMAZING! My husband and I are both from very small, outdoorsy, southern towns and we couldn't have asked for a better guide. He showed us how to work the snowmobiles and we loaded down a sled with snacks we brought. Matt also brought snacks and coffee. You'll depart around 8:30AM.

You ride the snowmobile out about 6 miles to the fishing hut on the lake (I'm assuming the location changes slightly depending on where they think the fish are at the beginning of the season).

Matt then walked us through drilling holes and setting traps. We took turns doing this part and he explained what we would try to catch in each area and why. We took a break in the middle of the day for lunch, which was beef stew Matt made. The stew was GREAT!

While we waited for the traps to go off, we did some jigging with rods Matt gave us. I can't describe what a great guide he was. He was very knowledgeable and patient when I asked to (inefficiently) dig out the snow for the next hole. This part isn't required, but I don't see a point in someone teaching me to fish if I can't participate in all the different parts of the fishing experience, but I understand this isn't for everyone.

Matt offered to cook the fish we caught, but we wanted to take them home with us and cook them there. We already knew how to gut the fish, and a few other basic fishing skills, but I'm sure that Matt would be a great guide even for someone who has never fished before. You DO need to want to be outdoors, or least understand that ice-fishing takes place in the middle of a large lake away from people. There isn't a bathroom and only a small camp stove, so keep that in mind. If you like being outdoors and doing outdoor activities, you'll LOVE this.

We all had such a great time we plan on booking Matt for fly-fishing lessons, and maybe even a guided camping/canoeing trip this summer too. I had such a great time that if it wasn't the end of the season, we would be going ice-fishing again! We are definitely going again next winter.

Other tips: Moose Mountain Lodge isn't that far away, and is very reasonably priced. There are only a few places to eat in town and all but one close very early, so keep that in mind when planning dinner. I have separate reviews on all the places we ate and the lodge since it's not appropriate to put it here.

1  Thank SiriusScientist

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I can't say enough about how friendly, pleasant and professional the staff at Northwoods Outfitters was. They arranged for a day of snowmobiling with their Maine Guide Steve - he was great. And a day of dogsledding with Steven at Song of the Woods.

They made sure we were properly outfitted, going so far as to check all of our zippers to make sure we had the clothes on properly.

They went way above and beyond after we lost our car keys. For two hours everyone on staff did everything they could to help us find them. We were unsuccessful, but it wasn't for lack of trying.

They stock very high quality equipment of every sort, clothing, gear, etc. They even have a nice coffee bar.

You don't need to stop at the other Maine outdoor clothing and sports landmark - Northwoods has anything you need.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We'd never snowmobiled before so we booked a guided trip. Matt, was our guide, and he was great. We definitely would have gotten lost without him. My hubby loved the trip and the gorgeous scenery. My 17 year old daughter did get a little bored after a while.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

We rented snowmobiles (2 days) and went on a guide ice fishing trip. Bothe experience were great! The staff worked with us to plan the days to go snowmobiling because the snow was not great at the beginning of our week in Greenville. I felt like they looked out for our safety! Better yet we visited the store everyday we were in Greenville (7 days) just to get recommendations on activities and dinner for the day! Matt was our guide for ice fishing and we had a great experience. The staff in the store and the guides were fantastic!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We went on a moose tour with Eric on October 7, 2013. The weather started out a little chilly with slight winds but by the end it was raining sideways with the strong winds blowing. Eric was so great with all his knowledge he shared with us about the moose and the Greenville area. The first 2 hours of the 4 hour trip we didn't see any moose but talking with Eric the trip was still enjoyable. We came to the pond and saw a large cow with 2 babies on the other side. The weather was terrible at this point. I didn't think Eric would want to canoe over to them in the pouring rain and the strong winds but he didn't miss a beat. He quickly got the canoes on the water and off we went. As we got out on the water we saw another cow that we were able to paddle right up to. It was so cool even though it was hard to keep the canoe straight. On the way back we saw a juvenile that turned to walk away from us when Eric called it back. It turned around and walked towards us, standing for a while before going into the woods. We saw several more on the way back with one being a big male with large antlers. He stood for a while looking at us as we took pictures and got great video. - We are already planning our next trip back to Greenville and will definitely be going on another moose trip with Eric. We can't say how much this trip meant to us and how much we appreciate Eric going above and beyond what we could have hoped for.-- The Wittmans, Ohio