“AMAZING!”

Northwoods Outfitters - Day Tours
Ranked #2 of 13 Tours in Greenville
More attraction details
Owner description: Northwood's Outfitters Is Maine's Premiere outfitter and guide service. We offer guided trips like Moose Watching & Wildlife Photography tours, Fishing Trips for Salmon, Trout and Bass, Guided ATV, Snowmobile Trips, Canoe, Kayak, and Rafting. Our Gear rentals include Canoes, Kayaks, Paddle boards,Camping gear, ATV's, UTV's, Snowmobiles, Bikes and more. The outfitters shop carries great outdoor brands like Patagonia, The North Face, Trek, Salomon, Wilderness systems and much more!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was the highlight of our trip to Maine. (well, my husband would say it was the seaplane ride!) ;) Ashley, our tour guide was spectacular! We learned so much!! We had to do a private tour since our children were so young (2 and 5), and she was awesome with the kids. She had our 5 year old ride with her in the canoe, and even let her have her own paddle help with the paddling. We unfortunately didn't see any moose on the water, but we saw one full grown cow on the way to the pond, just grazing...and she slowly crossed the road right in front of our truck, and once on the water, we got to watch a bald eagle for about 5 minutes and we also saw loons, and then 2 more moose (bull and cow) on our drive back to the store. Ashley was so informative and friendly and such a joy! She showed us signs of moose being in the area, showed us how to hide our scent with bog laurel, and by the end of it, my 5 year old little girl was convinced she had a new best friend! :) I highly recommend this tour!

All reviews
"private tour"
in 9 reviews
"wild animals"
in 3 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
"maine vacation"
"nice trip"
"female moose"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

I visited Moosehead Lake as a teenager back in the early '80s on an Outward Bound trip and it was magical. Now I wanted to take my kid on just such a trip. I liked Northwoods' website the best of those that Google found for me. It was a fortunate choice. We went with our BFF family, also with a young child. NWO picked an itinerary on a nearby river that matched our skill level. It was lovely; exactly what I had wanted. They provided all of the gear and food for the trip at a very reasonable price. Our guide, Matt, was great with the kids and made delicious camp meals every time. We were able to fly into Bangor, then drive just an hour and a half to Greenville in a rental car because we did not have to bring our own camping equipment. All in our party agreed it was their best trip ever. NWO's home base store makes espresso drinks and sells everything you might need to have a good time around here. Matt says it is always best after July 4th because that is when nasty black fly season ends. There were Mosquitos so bring your repellent. There are no ticks however which is huge.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We did not go on any tours this time but we did stop into their place. Very friendly people who gave us lots of info on where we might see moose in the area. Also got a good cup of coffee in the attached coffee shop. Worth a stop if you are in Greenville Maine. Next time we might take a moose safari with them.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We had Ashley for a guide and couldn't have had a better time. Within 20 minutes of leaving the parking lot we were looking at our first moose. I have a severely damaged lower leg from a motorcycle accident and was still able to negotiate getting to the water and, in and out of the canoe. Ashley was a wealth of information and taught us a lot about the area plants and animals. She also gave good advice to not use a GPS because it might take us (in a car) on an ATV trail. It didn't happen in Greenville, but it did down near Rumford where we thought we would be fine - and ended up following ATV's in my Pontiac G6 out of the woods!! It was pretty funny, because we didn't blow a tire or break down. Should have taken her advice a little longer!