“Best Kept Secret on Moosehead Lake” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Moosehead Lake

Moosehead Lake
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Greenville
More attraction details
Owner description: Maine's premier lake region offers great outdoor recreation and sports, including fishing, hunting, mountain biking, canoeing, hiking, and "flightseeing" by seaplane.
Exeter, New Hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Best Kept Secret on Moosehead Lake”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Over the years we have stated at many different places on Moosehead Lake including Lily Bay Campground, Moosehead Chalet and a number of other fine places. A couple years ago on one of our evening moose "safari's" we found Tomhegan Camps, just 6 miles north of Rockwood. Amazing place. Deer wandering around and easily fed by hand, quiet, beautiful, well kept log cabins with lots of privacy and the best "hosts" we have ever had. Tomhegan Camps is absolutely the best kept secret on Moosehead Lake and if you have never been there or stayed there, I strongly suggest it. Since we discovered the place, Our family has stayed there both in the winter when the sledding and ice fishing is awesome and in the summer when it is simply spectacular.

Visited August 2012
4 Thank mschidlovsky

Haleyville, Alabama
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Heaven at the end of the road”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

When the road from Bangor ends at the waters edge you have arrived at Moosehead Lake. You will see it laid out before you as you top the hill coming into town and it will take your breath away. The blue of the sky and the blue of the water are so perfectly in sync. There are roads around the shores of the lake but I highly reccomend a canoe trip. Beautiful birds, calm waters, moose and deer with world class fishing.
For the most parts the road really does end here. Past Moosehead here are miles and miles of forest covered mountains all the way up to the Canadian border. There are no roads with the exception of military service roads. It gives you the feeling that you have found that one place where you truly stop and enjoy the beauty of what lies at the end of the road.
There are wonderful restaurants and shops along with historic churches and buildings. You can rent most anything to navigate the lake or you can find an outfitter who will be more than happy to asist you.
When you think of Maine and the beautiful rocky coast line of picture books, don't forget to find this little spot of Heaven and make plans to include its shores also.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Janice819
Turner, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Absolutely beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Loved the natural beauty, and if you choose the chance to get away from it all. Area is one of the most enchanting areas in Maine

Visited November 2012
Ennis, Texas
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Lacking services.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Went in Sept 2012. This town was pretty much shut down. A little later and the fall folage most likely would have changed my mind.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Donald W
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The place to go to get your moose fix!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

We have been coming to Moosehead lake for the past three years now. The wife was dieing to see a moose, did a search on google, learned about Moosehead Lake, and we've been coming here ever since! Just an example, this spring we saw a total of 28 moose!
As well as looking for moose, the lake is beautiful! Every view of it holds something different scenery wise.
This spring I also was able to get some fishing in, and I must say, I have never seen fishing like this area has to offer! I caught quite a few younger salmon and lake trout, and for the size that they were, were some of the best fights I've had on the line! A good tip that I can share from my experience in this area is to use worms. Fish would go for worms more than lures.
The little shops and resturants in the area are great, each one having something different or delicious, and I love the fact that the local grocery store/ good store is a true trading post!
I already can't wait to go back here!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Mike S

Been to Moosehead Lake? Share your experiences!