“Interesting menu descriptions ............”
Review of The Black Frog - CLOSED

The Black Frog
Cuisines: American, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Serves Alcohol
County Durham UK
“Interesting menu descriptions ............”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Greenville is not the largest place in Maine so eating out is limited. The Black Frog has a great outside deck as well as indoor dining.

We visited for lunch and found the service friendly and efficient and the food good.

Great lunch stop.

Visited July 2014

Brunswick, Maine
“We will never be back.”
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Let me preface this soon to be pretty scathing review with a background. My family has been coming to The Black Frog for years and have always had an excellent time. This trip however, on the 5th of July was the worst experience I have ever had in a restaurant. We will NEVER be back. After waiting almost an hour for a table (because we used to love it and were willing to wait that!) our party of 10 was seated. However, there was not enough room at one table so they split us 6 and 4. No big deal as that was the size of the two families. Waited 15 minutes for a waitress who took almost 20 minutes to get us drinks. All sodas and bottled beers...unsure why it took so long. One person in our party ordered water which was forgotten. After finally ordering, we waited over an hour to receive our food. In the mean time a party of 6 and a party of 17. YES, 17(!!) had already eaten and left. Our appetizers did arrive in a decent amount of time, but were cold. The waitress was less than impressed to be there and was rude to my aunt...then it really went downhill. After the hour plus wait I finally asked to speak to the manager. She was understanding and kind and sent the owner to us. We finally received our food as he approached our party. 2 orders were wrong, 1 was cold and to top it all of, my own had hair in it. Disgusting!! I asked as to what could be done and the owner replied "how about a free beer." 1 free beer for a party of 10? Mind you only 3 of the 10 were even drinking. I said "how about a free meal." He told us he could do half off the bill and I insisted that after wrong orders, cold food, the hair and an hour plus wait there was no way we were paying for the food. He replied back to me "well that's not fair." I was taken aback. A 40+ year old man telling me it wasn't fair? I remained calm and firmly told him again that after the service, there was no way we would be paying for this meal. He proceeded to say "Okay, whatever." And walked away. I wish I was writing a positive review because we used to love this place. I'm not sure what's happened in the span of time between this summer and last but it hasn't been good. The restaurant itself is a bit worse for wear as well. The carpets are dirty, cobwebs everywhere, spiders and bugs inside on the windows, a broken toilet in the bathroom and no paper towels in the holder...something's got to be fixed - and hopefully soon! Please, save your money and time and grill up something at home!

1 Thank k_g_000
Putnam, CT
“Try The Black Frog”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I visited the Black Frog last year while in Greenville. ME. It was good then and still excellent now. I had the clam and scallop combo. They have excellent seafood there, so I suggest you try it.

• Visited June 2014
“Great location”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We had lunch at the Black Frog last week. The setting on Moosehead Lake was beautiful. The food was ok, the service was very slow. We waited almost an hour for our meal, the place was not that busy, don't up know what took so long.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Alice S
Brunswick, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Food, Excellent Service”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

The food was good, very good but the service was better! We came in a large party, complete with impatient little kids and the servers patience with us never failed, nor did their smile!

Visited July 2013