“Going back to Maine after 35 years”

Cole Farms Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 19 Restaurants in Gray
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I grew up in Maine, Cole Farm and Gray Animal Park was a monthly trip. Took my wife on vacation, Great food and service

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Travelling south on Rt 202, we stopped for lunch at this famous restaurant. It is a warm and inviting location, small town, everyone knows everyone. Perfect for the tourist or business traveller.

Three hungry men - we all ordered the homemade chili - followed by two orders of the Tuesday special of Fish and Chips, and a Buffalo chicken sandwich. All were perfectly sized portions, which allowed us to feast on a delicious pumpkin bread pudding.

Lunch for 3 came to $55.

An important note - a server can make, or break the atmosphere of a meal. Our waitress, Renata, was most the gracious, professional, and accommodating woman - even for three crazy men. You should ask for her !! I enjoyed my conversation with her, and hope to see her again when I visit Cole Farms.

1  Thank J H
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Had been here a couple of times over the past 10 years and still have not had a memorable/good meal. I had the meatloaf with salad and mashed. Salad was fine and dinner rolls are good. Meatloaf temperature was way off. Top piece was just barely warm and bottom piece was hot in places. Also not a fan of the multitude of onion and red/green pepper pieces throughout. Mashed were ok but gravy wasn't good. Hubby had chili (came in a cup) which was very chunky and tasty but it too had temperature variations. He also had the Cobb salad with house dressing that he really liked. With 2 sodas, bill came to $27.70.

1  Thank Hopsing-NH
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We come quite often but not nearly as much as we used too. We always brought our kids, as it was good eats for reasonable prices.
Our children seldom go to visit now because the prices are as high as taking them to an Italion or other specialties restaurant.
We still take our grandchildren on some of the special offer days, they love the crab meat special!
There are special soups daily and of course their yummy pies.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have never liked it! I keep giving it a try, especially since members of my family go out of their way to come here. However, I have NOT liked it every single time I go. Its expanded a number of times over the years and I've seen people come by the busloads. My sister says its the pies. I find there is NO atmosphere, up to and including the ATM machine on site as they don't take anything but cash. For me, its the menu that bugs me. I always find it a challenge just to find something I want to eat. I would applaud the opportunity to enjoy a local, family owned non-chain restaurant, but there has to be something worth eating! I recall years ago, when the soup on the menu said "campbell's soup" Really?!? Then there's fried EVERYTHING! I recently had their lobster stew as a special. Not impressed. They can't even do a basic burger right. Honestly, I can't ever remember my mom sending anything back, but her burger was cold. I had to get up and bring the burger back to the lunch counter. They made her another one. It was hot this time, but in her words "I've had better at Burger King".

Maybe the strategy is to get a piece of pie to go and have a decent meal elsewhere.

3  Thank nmsmaine