“Locals dinning local”

The Oxford House Inn & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oxford House Inn & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Fryeburg
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Oxford
Description: Culinary Institute of America graduate chef/co-owner crafts his seasonally changing menus to showcase the best that local farms have to offer, using techniques from around the world in the farm to table concept. Enjoy spectacular sunsets or fireside dining while savoring a delicious and creatively presented meal.
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My husband and I decided to give the Oxford House a try after waiting for more than a half an hour at our other local restaurant, we decided to call the Oxford House to see of they had a seat available which they did. We ended up in the lounge, was told there was a wait upstairs so decide do the lounge. Cool seating, very small bar, only counted 5 bar stools, not sure why the odd number other than it was a small bar. Sat up against the wall with brown pieces of paper over the white lines table cloths and a bucket of crayons to go with it! Now don't get me wrong it's nice to see that they are prepared for children, but seriously I never saw 1 child I there and they must think that a lounge area is where they should coral children is kinda of silly but whatever. I wasn't that much impressed with the paper and crayons on the table, I say wait till the children are there and set the table accordingly !
On a lighter lighter note,I have to say the food was Amazing! Very nicely plated and tasted great I had the special of the night flank steak cooked just right and was delicious! My husband had the pan seared scallops he loved them. Food was hot and beautifully plated, 4 stars for the kitchen! The service on the other hand was soooooo sloooowwww! We waited 17 minutes for a glass of wine and a jack and coke! I was 6 feet from the bar I saw the bartender she wasn't that stressed out that it took that long to get a drink! I am a server and a bartender at a very nice hotel in North Conway I serve dinner ( fine dinning) so I know how things work in the back of the house! I wouldn't of let my guests wait that long for a drink! The server that we had ( don't know her name because she never introduced herself to us) was so slow that I wanted to jump up and help her! It wasn't that busy to of had to wait that long! She had the personality of a rock, and after our meal was served she never once came back to ask if everything was good! She didn't notice that our cocktails were low to see of we needed another one! Another server walking by actually took our plates from us after we were done.
Bottom line, the food is amazing, the service needs some serious improvements! We dropped a hundred bucks that night! I was thinking of dessert but feared it would of turned into another half and hour wait! If you have lots of time and don't mind waiting endless minutes for a cocktail or a smiling friendly server, then by all means go and enjoy because the food is very good! But as for me, I think we will probably not return for all of the small but irritating circumstances that we saw and encountered.

2  Thank abenvie
OHIInnkeeper, Owner at The Oxford House Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Hello abenvie,
Thank you for sharing your observations regarding your recent dining experience with us. I sincerely apologize for the slow service you received. This is not something that is common & I take feedback about our service very seriously. I will do my utmost to find out what caused the delay on the evening you were here so we can hopefully not have this happen again!

We do, however, appreciate the 4 stars you gave our food. Coming from another local restaurant industry person, that especially means a lot. I will be sure to pass your compliments along to the kitchen!

The brown paper & crayons on the table are not there with the expectation of children. We use recycled brown paper on our bistro tables in order to reduce water/chemical usage by not laundering linen. The casual, upbeat atmosphere of our bar area lends itself to guests often playing a game of tic-tac-toe or drawing a "self portrait" before dinner. While we welcome well behaved children, our intention for the crayons was for bigger kids :)

Please accept our invitation to dine with us again- we would love to offer you the opportunity to enjoy an evening where the quality of the service matches that of the food!
Best regards,
Natalie Spak
Co-Owner & Innkeeper

Reviewed January 11, 2014

great wine list, food was exellent well worth the price and very pretty views, we will return this year hopefully before fall

OHIInnkeeper, Assistant Innkeeper at The Oxford House Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Thank you, Stephanie S, for taking the time to let us know about your visit. Once again we are able to see those views during part of our dinner service and enjoy sharing that sunset with our guests. Thank you for mentioning the wine list and the "excellent food;" it's always encouraging to know our guests appreciate what we do. We look forward to seeing you again later this year.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Great food, great wine list, and nice atmosphere. Only knock I could say about this place is they need more seating downstairs in the bar. tIf you want a really nice meal this is the place to go. Be prepared to spend a little but it's worth it.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Innovative seasonal menu, beautifully prepared by the talented Chef.
Charming and elegant country atmosphere, with service to match.
Wonderful view of the White Mountains from two of the dining rooms.
With the "Thompson House Eatery" in Jackson NH closed, you would have to drive 60 miles to Portland to find a culinary experience such as this.
Fill up the tank because this gem is "worth a trip from anywhere"

OHIInnkeeper, Assistant Innkeeper at The Oxford House Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Gratefulfoodie: Like you, we were sad to see the Thompson House Eatery close, but we are certainly grateful for your recommendation. Our "talented chef" also appreciates your mention.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

I have dined at the Oxford House several times-the most recent on my husband's birthday. He is very much a foodie and he said it was the best meal he has ever had. On one of my visits I had a steak, not something I usually order out because I like it well done so I thought I would just bring it home. Well, it was perfectly cooked and I at the whole thing. The views are beautiful and the location is in a small town. I have never stayed at the inn because I live 3 miles away but based on the restaurant area I am sure the rooms are as just as beautiful.