“Best kept secret”

The Oxford House Inn & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oxford House Inn & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Fryeburg
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Oxford
Description: Culinary Institute of America graduate chef/co-owner crafts his seasonally changing menus to showcase the best that local farms have to offer, using techniques from around the world in the farm to table concept. Enjoy spectacular sunsets or fireside dining while savoring a delicious and creatively presented meal.
Bridgton, Maine
“Best kept secret”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

You won't find better food in the best resturants in Boston! The chef is creative and the meals show it. One of my favorites.

Visited February 2013

North Conway, New Hampshire, United States
“Upscale dining in western Maine”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

After having driven by this Inn for years, I finally made a reservation for my husband's birthday, which was a " big one". The decor and ambiance are first rate. Beautiful woodwork, lovely floors, well maintained Inn. The young hostess at the door took our coats. We were seated promptly. We both had the filet mignon, which was cooked to perfection. I would have preferred a mushroom cap or au jus to the carmelized onions, which were more like very delicate fried onion rings, but that's just a personal preference. My husband's oysters Rockefeller were also perfectly cooked. My Bibb lettuce salad was a work of art which I almost did not wish to consume. The presentation of everything was lovely. The local artisan bread was also very good and served with a compote of a delicious honey/butter. I would have enjoyed the bread warm, but that is a small critique. My husband had the molten chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream for desert, beautifully presented and with a lovely slim " birthday taper" inserted in the middle. Service was leisurely, and I thought just right, given the time needed to truly savor the wonderful food. The waitress was competent and pleasant, although never introduced herself, so we never did know her name to be able to give her credit.
All in all, a divine meal, in a lovely setting. Who could ask for more? We will most definitely return.

• Visited March 2013
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Party of Seven”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Spent school vacation week in the White Mountains, and decided to venture into Maine for dinner at the Oxford House. Made a res the day before, staff was very accomodating. Seated in the bar downstairs which was very cozy. I would have been perfectly happy dining in front of the fire on the comfortable leather furniture. Service was just right. Oyster app was outstanding. Excellent menu all around. Pricing was fair for the quality offered. If you go, leave your diet at home, the dessert menu is top notch. The homemade ice cream was terrific, especially the peanut butter pretzle ice cream. Perfect country inn atmosphere with a slightly sophisticated feel in the bar.

• Visited February 2013
Intervale, New Hampshire
“Lite bites and small portions are superb!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have eaten here 10-20 times over the past several years. Jonathan's menus have evolved. Now all courses are available anywhere in the restaurant, although I still have a soft spot for the cellar pub in the winter-- small cozy informal. Frites are superb! Fried olives - although a small number are delicious , unique and nothing I'd make at home. I never order pasta out and rarely eat it at home---Jonathan's is amazing! Menu is ever changing but a half order is usually under $15 and so I always feel I can order an app or salad and not break the bank. Burgers and sandwiches are under $15 as well so .... really a bargain for the preparation given to each meal. Dinners are $22-29 mostly. Wine is reasonable and glasses are fair-generous. Thurs. nights special is a pint of mussels and a beer or glass of wine. I had the Italian prep. with cream, italian ham, garlic ---Wow! with bread it was a meal with a glass of wine. We started with white cosmos and ended with the three creampuffs with three different sauces. ($9.00) Work well as we were three out to dinner. Dinners , as mentioned can be generous or small depending on the Entree and it's not very predictable. We are not in the area in the summer but have heard the patio and porch have wonderful views of the mountains in the warm weather ..Can make reservation on Open Table.

• Visited January 2013
Boxford, Massachusetts
“Bring Your Spouse to the Oxford House!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

If you are anywhere near Fryeburg, Maine, you can not pass through without stopping for a fabulously delicious meal at the Oxford House. We were staying in the White Mountains, and one innkeeper recommended this gourmet restaurant. Well, what a wonderful recommendation! We ate in one of the small, country decorated dining rooms. We started with cocktails and then slowly consumed an elegant meal, consisting of a roasted beet and pear salad with an interesting Balsamic dressing followed by a cider-brined pork tenderloin with an apple and squash puree. If you are looking for a cozy, yet elegant restaurant with interesting, gourmet food, bring your spouse to the Oxford House! Brenda Sloane, Boxford, MA

• Visited December 2012