“A little piece of home, in Freeport, ME!”

James Place Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 7 Freeport B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Plymouth, MA
“A little piece of home, in Freeport, ME!”
Reviewed February 27, 2009

I booked a weekend away for my husband and I to go snowshoeing (for the first time) as part of a Christmas present for him. I called the James Place Inn and spoke directly to Tori who helped select my room for me based on what I was telling her. We decided together on the Green Room and that ended up being an excellent selection! My husband was worried as he's a "hotel snob" and spends 16 days a month in hotels (he's a pilot) but had never stayed at a B&B. Well, the kindness and friendliness that Robin and Tori extended made him a believer! Instantly Robin and my husband bonded over talks about flying and we spent our two amazing breakfasts laughing with them. Robin guided us to our snowshoeing destination and also provided suggestions for our return trip (which will be soon)!

Room: Our room was the Green Room and had a hot tub, an amazingly comfortable bed, and nice private bath. Everything was clean and crisp and the hot tub was very relaxing (and much needed!) after a day of snowshoeing. It was on the first floor so you could hear early birds in the kitchen - but that wasn't an issue since we were awake early as well. The one thing that was a small issue is that some water was leaking through the window - we were more concerned about their beautiful oom being damaged than the water actually coming in, so we made sure to tell them about it and kept towels down so the wood wouldn't be ruined.

Breakfasts: I cannot say enough about how amazing the breakfast that Robin prepares every morning. They use fresh, natural, local products and you can really tell. Start with fresh cut fruit, granola, and yogurt, then try a wonderful scone (not hard as a rock!), and then move to the two items he's prepared and you're ready to tackle the day! We had cinnamon french toast, made from Robin's homemade bread - amazing. We also had spinach and goat cheese quiche which was unbelieveable and my husband can't stop talking about the sausage he had! I could have just sat and ate all day - it was so good!

Location: You are within walking distance to everything on Main Street when you stay here. That was the best part - we walked everywhere for shopping and food and it was a nice, brisk walk and being so conveniently located to all the downtown happenings made our stay even better.

We truly enjoyed our stay so much - we didn't want to leave. My husband says he's sold on B&Bs, but only the James Place Inn for now. :) Freeport was such a wonderful little town in the winter - a little piece of winter wonderland not too far from where we live. It was such a relaxing escape for us and we'll be excited to return!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
jfadvisor
Reviewed February 25, 2009

The room was great. The food is awesome. The owners are super friendly. Freeport is a great town in a wonderful part of Maine. If you're visiting, you have to stay at the James Place Inn.

Boston MA
Reviewed February 20, 2009

We took a few days and explored the area-- -- this inn and the environment was just what the doctor ordered--

Sooooo relaxing and the food was so well prepared and tatsy!

We have never been treated so well and felt so comfortable
Easy to get directions and get things done-- with our new friends Robin and Tori-- the innkeepers--

Close by fitness facility which we went to yoga and swim.

What a pleasant suprise on a whim-- will be back and stay again --

236 Clarendon St. Boston Ma. 02116
Reviewed December 29, 2008

I was looking for a quiet retreat outside of Boston after a stressful season in my retail business. As a frequent traveler for business I usually seek out smaller "Boutique" Hotels for their ambiance and homey feeling, I was not disappointed here.The breakfasts were unparalled,homemade breads, sausage and bacon from a local butcher and so much more. My" Wisteria" room was immaculate and just as you would expect, a soothing soft blue.Even though we didn't use the jacuzzi it was decadent just having it there. The Inn keepers were attentive but respected our privacy.
When you go don't miss the cookie jar in the sunny dining room. It's full of homemade cookies, or was at least!

• Liked — food cleanliness
  • Disliked — no view
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed October 21, 2008

My wife and I spent two wonderful days at The James Place Inn. It is conveniently located in Freeport, Me and yet is very quiet. The breakfasts are fantastic and are adjusted to meet any taste or diet requirements. The best feature of this Inn though is the personal treatment provided by the owners, Robin and Tori Baron. You'll feel like part of the family and will hate to leave.

• Liked — The friendliness and attentiveness of the owners
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed October 6, 2008

We stayed here 1 night in early Sept (last minute decision). We stayed in the Pine Room because of the fireplace. This room was huge and even had a little deck. The bathroom was tiny (on par with a cruise ship one). Robin and Elyse were wonderful Hosts (Tori was away), they greeted us upon arrival with baked goods, gave us a tour (allowed us to look in the other rooms - no one else had checked in yet) and then breakfast was cooked to order the next morning. Robin had prepped the fire so was easy to start. We had a great time, though should note the room is near the kitchen so we did hear morning prep (we are early birds though so no complaints)

• Liked — The Hospitality of the Owners and the Fireplace
  • Disliked — the bathroom was tiny
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed September 30, 2008

My boyfriend and I decided to go away to Maine last minute. I searched for hours online to find a B&B...there was nothing to be found. I stumbled upon the James Place Inn, which was the only B&B that had one room left for a Thurs and Fri night availability. I read the reviews here on TripAdvisor, and decided to book the room due to the fabulous reviews the inn received.
Let me just say, that words cannot do this Inn justice. It is absolutely adorable. My boyfriend and I stayed in the Yellow room on Thurs and Friday. They had a cancellation for Saturday night and we immeditely decided to stay...they moved us to the Green room (utterly amazing).
The rooms were absolutely beautiful and the inn is so charming. However, aside from the aesthetics, I have to say that the innkeepers, Robin & Tori (and their adorable daughter Elyse) were the most hospitable hosts one could ever hope for. As soon as we arrived, Robin showed us around and made us feel welcome and "at home". Anything, we wanted was made available to us. Robin cooks breakfast each morning...we had homemade cinnamon bread french toast, quiche, blueberry pancakes....mmmmmm! He also made chocolate chip cookies fresh each day. Robin and Tory were so amazing...we really enjoyed getting to know them!
Everything about our trip was perfect...the weather, the inn and the hospitable innkeepers...Thanks Robin and Tori!!! We will be going back up to Maine soon and we wouldnt think of staying anywhere else! I can't recommend it enough!!!

• Liked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vinolover_ME, Owner at James Place Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 2, 2008
Wow! Thank you so much for the generous words and review. We love what we do and are so glad that it was reflected in your experience with us. Thank you again and we will look forward to welcoming you back!