“The sticky buns are worth the trip”

Isabella's Cafe And Bakery
Ranked #22 of 60 Restaurants in Freeport
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: We strive to create a warm and friendly cafe that reminds you of home cooking. We prepare all of our food from scratch using fresh ingredients and family recipes. Next time you're in Freeport, stop on by for breakfast, lunch, and of course one of our famous sticky buns! A long time feature of Freeport, Maine, Isabella's Cafe has recently come under new ownership by Caite Maynard. Caite has worked in the food industry for over 40 years; she is renowned for her baking, soup, and her attention to customer service. Isabella's Cafe now focuses on fresh food made by hand, using locally-sourced ingredients and family recipes; breakfast and lunch are available all day, and Caite's passion for baking results in a bakery case filled with delicious items from cookies, muffins, and scones, and the homemade sticky bun bread pudding is not to be missed!
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I am a big fan of sticky buns and cinnamon rolls, and this place did not disappoint. The sweetness level was just right and the bun wasn't yeasty or overbaked and was very delicious. I liked the atmosphere as well as the local art on the wall. I am deducting a star because when we went in for food (around 12 pm) they had run out of a lot of items they had on the menu and had no substitutions (like no more homefries :( ) and while the eggs and pancakes we ordered were good, they were nothing special. I would just come in and grab some of their baked goods if you are really looking for something special.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

This is a charming little café open for breakfast and lunch just off the main street in Freeport. The sign is on the front of the building, but the entrance is down a flight of stairs on the side street. The owner was behind the counter and cooking as well, she is very friendly and accommodating for our requests. The highlight is the baked good, the cinnamon rolls and sticky buns were delicious and I can see why there is a steady flow of customers.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

I am not a fan of Krispy Kreme (too much sugar for me) and honestly not a "sweets person", but I HAD to try Isabella's Stickey Buns.
I was on a mission to have a sticky bun and in fact was called out by Isabella when I walked straight in focused solely on the counter full on sweets. I was bummed to find out, due to it being late in the day, that she was out of them. I was informed to try the cinnamon roll & bread pudding and I also bought a blueberry muffin. (I mean, it IS Maine, so you gotta do SOMETHING with blueberries!) Bread pudding is a hard sell to me. It can be dry and tasteless. I also make an AMAZING bread pudding at home with bourbon and icing so I knew it HAD to impress.
We saved all these sweets for the morning breakfast… so now… this is 18 hours later stored in a paper bag. Remember that… NOT fresh. We woke up and tried them and they were the BEST sweets I've ever had from a bakery of this type. The muffin was to die for and the bread pudding was amazing. I would've enjoyed it better with no nuts, but it didn't harm the taste. The cinnamon bun was super sweet but so enjoyable. Maine is a hike for me so I won't be returning anytime soon, but this New York girl will be SURE to make Isabella's a definite stop in her future trips to Maine.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I stopped in late morning to try the sticky bun. I had already had breakfast but got one to go and ate it later at home. There were only 4 buns left at 10:30 in the morning so not sure if they were running out or had more in the back room.

I didn't eat it until dinner time but I warmed it a bit in the microwave and it was quite delicious. There were people having breakfast in the shop and the couple of women in front of me ordering several items were taking a while. When I finally got to the counter the girl gave a me a discount price on the bun for having to wait so long. Very nice of her. I'd go back next time I'm in Freeport. The breakfast sandwiches looked good!

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Isabella's is located on a side street and the business ebbs and flows. Very friendly staff and accommodating when a change is requested to the published food menu. The décor is average but the sandwiches are good and filling. You wait a little while for them to be prepared and served. The bread is fresh as are the sticky buns, cinnamon buns, and pastries. There is local art for sale on the walls (a nice touch). It is a relief to sit in this place away from the highly hyped Freeport restaurants. The best part was the reasonable price (yay).