“Nice quick bite”

Lobster Cooker
Ranked #16 of 59 Restaurants in Freeport
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Lobster Cooker is located in the heart of Freeport's shopping district just two blocks from L.L. Bean. Join us for fresh seafood in the Downeast Maine tradition. Dine in our historic 1860 barn or bask on our sun drenched garden patio. Relax in our Sports Pub and catch your favorite game on our HD TV's and wet your whistle a couple ice cold local drafts. We offer a full bar with fast friendly service. We feature fresh picked Maine lobster, crab meat and fresh native seafood. We also offer burgers and sandwiches. Our award winning chowders are made fresh daily.
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
“Nice quick bite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

A spectacular August day in Maine was made even better with a late lunch from here. We settled on an outside table in a shady part of the patio as our baby was napping. We were waited on almost immediately after sitting down.

Our server was very attentive and interactive. Although they were out of clam chowder, I simply switched to ordering the lobster bisque. It was very good- a few nearly whole claws and some other good chunks of meat. Very tasty.

My wife had the lobster roll, and I had the haddock jack sandwich. Both came with fries and a pickle. For $17, the lobster roll was fairly reasonable. My haddock sandwich was good, but there was way too much bread for the amount of filling. I ended up discarding the top half of the roll.

$48 for a beer, a homemade Arnold Palmer, a diet coke, cup of bisque, lobster roll & haddock sandwich. Overall, it seemed like a fair deal for good grub served with a smile and without feeling rushed or hurried spot on Main Street in Freeport on a sunny day in August.

It wasn't my first time there and it certainly won't be my last.

Oh- they've done a nice job with the renovations, too.

• Visited August 2013

Freeport, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“New owners, new prices, less quality food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I have been a long time patron of the Lobster Cooker in Freeport, until now. In the past year they have gone through a change in owners and a renovation. Based on their prices, they're looking to pay for those renovations in the first season. I have always enjoyed their shrimp dinner for a reasonable price and the quality was excellent. My first visit this summer was such a disappointment. Not only had the shrimp dinner increased in price by 4 dollars, but the quality was terrible (overcooked little tiny shrimp). If that wasn't bad enough..I purchased the fisherman's platter for $23 (expecting it to feed 2) and it consisted of 5 clams (primarily the neck), a haddock filet (not big enough to split), about a 1/2 cup of fried shrimp, a handful of fries and cole slaw. The shrimp dinner had more food in it than the platter. They've seen the last of me and if they think they'll survive off-season, they better close their doors now!!!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Cindy T
Denver, Colorado
“Nothing special, nothing great.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Visiting Freeport, Outlet capital of the Northeast or something like that, we happened upon the Lobster Cooker. From the exterior and interior, it seems very casual. The food is similar to the atmosphere which is casual, nice but nothing special. My general feeling is that is not a destination restaurant but a location driven restaurant, capturing the mobs of bargain-hunting shoppers in between meals and outlets. The menu basically reflects this, which consists of fried seafood, fries, salads and sandwiches. For the most part there is nothing wrong with the food. The service was great. It does tend to the pricey side, again due to the market and location. In summation, nothing special, nothing great.

1 Thank chigurhanton
Charlotte, North Carolina
“$91 for This?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Our family parked in the L. L. Bean lot and headed out to support a “local” restaurant before our afternoon of shopping. Unfortunately, we made a bad choice.

The Lobster Cooker pretends to be a high quality restaurant, but truly is not. We spent $91 (including tip) for a lunch for four that included one chef’s salad, a bowl and a cup of the clam chowder, an apple & pecan salad with lobster some lobster meat on top, and a lobster roll, plus soft drinks. The chef’s salad was unimaginative and of far lower quality than one from McDonald’s; the apple & pecan salad with lobster on top was a total rip-off at $25; the lobster roll was run-of-the-mill and served with cold French fries. The only highlight was the clam chowder, with was good, not great.

Service was slow, even though the restaurant was only about half-filled. Our waitress seemed over-stretched and it took forever for drink refills.

Skip this tourist trap and head to a better quality restaurant for a memorable Freeport meal.

2 Thank Louis59
Austin, Texas
“Good but not great - Kraft mayonnaise on the side???”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

It just makes me crazy that Tripadvisor's ratings go from 3-average to 4-very good. There is a lot in between those two ratings! I am a tourist although I have been to Maine many times. My best friend is a local. We went together this past weekend. The place has been recently remodeled and is now "full service."

The lobster bisque was good to very good. We had no problems with the clumps of flour described by another reviewer. We would recommend this to share as a starter. A few bites is probably enough. Of course, we were there when the temperature was 90. If it is cold outside, it would be fabulous to start with a cup.

I got the "lobstah" roll. Plenty of wonderful lobster and a decent bun. Not great, but good. No mayonnaise which is how I like it but they served an institutional packet of Kraft Mayonnaise on the side. Really???? In my opinion, that is just disgusting. Either leave it off all together or take the time to whip up your own version of mayonnaise. Or even put the Kraft mayonnaise in a bowl rather than the take out packet. This really cheapens the place. A small point but a little change would mean at least one star in my mind.

Just to let you know, I am lobster roll crazy when in Maine and get it everywhere I can. I have probably had it at at least 30 places. I even tried one at Panera Bread as we happened to be there. The lobster was actually better at Panera. Yep. The Panera roll wasn't good but the lobster was better than the Lobster Cooker. The pieces were bigger and sweeter. And the light tarragon mayonnaise was delicious.

Another person in our party had the steamed lobster. At $21, it is served with a small container of a decent cole slaw and an ear of corn. Now this is a tourist place, but the going rate of lobster on this day was at most $4.59 retail! What an insane profit.

I get it. It is Freeport. We came to shop and splurge but if you have to make choices on how to spend your money, you should be aware that you could get a lobster lunch for much less expensive.

Finally, they overcharged us. It was only $3 on a $70 bill but it was the principal of the matter. When we questioned them, it took nearly 15 minutes to figure it out with two or three servers involved all saying it wasn't their fault. Come to find out, we were charged for another table's ice tea. They wouldn't fix it and said to just take it off the server's tip. This can't be the right way to handle such an issue.

All in all, we probably won't go back nor would we recommend it to friends.

2 Thank austinjjc

Been to Lobster Cooker? Share your experiences!