“No banger for your buck”

Gritty McDuff's - Lower Main Street
Ranked #8 of 60 Restaurants in Freeport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Description: Gritty McDuff's, Maine's Original Brew Pub specializes in hand-crafted English style ales and traditional and creative pub fare, in a friendly and fun atmosphere. Both Gritty's fine ales and the pubs have won countless "best of" awards through our twenty-six years of operation. Our standard brews are session beers, Gritty's Pub-Style Pale Ale, McDuff's Best Bitter, Black Fly Stout, allowing one to have multiple beers within a reasonable time period without overwhelming the senses. Our seasonal and varietal ale offerings are more adventurous, some with a higher ABV, and some with higher IBU. We brew a beer for all craft brew palates. For the diner, we offer traditional pub fare alongside not so traditional specialty items. Our pub-style long tables with benches easily accommodate parties of all sizes and add to the camaraderie.
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I visit Gritty's about twice a year but mostly for the beer. The last time I was there my wife and I sat in the back room over looking the brewery/holding tank. It was Saturday night and it was busy so the service was a bit slow as to be expected when it is busy as it was. However, I ordered the Bangers and Mash which arrived cold. My wife has a gluten allergy and ordered the Ruben on Udi's bread and seemed satisfied. This was the worst visit I have has at Gritty McDuffs and it wasn't that bad. The waitress took 50% off my meal and apologized. We stayed for a few beers afterward.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Nice ambiance, great food selection and friendly staff. The beer selection was varied and as it was St. Patrick's day it was a fun place to get a bite to eat and a nice cold local beer!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Great place to go for a truly filling meal and great selection of their own in house brews. The menu does not change much, but why bother when everything on it is already great. Without doubt, they make the best lamb burger in Maine and many other items on menu are tips as well. Great staff and atmosphere.
Go for dinner, start the rest of the night for great brews and company.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were in Freeport at LL Bean and decided to stop by Gritty's on our way out of town. This location is "family friendly". It's loud and feels like a family barbecue. The tables are long and shared. The food is Pub Fare and More. On this trip i had the homemade Mac and Cheese with added chicken. The dish also came with deep fried Hailepenios (sp) peppers on top. I didn't think i would like them but combined with the cheese and chicken they were awesome! I was lucky to try the Oatmeal Stout 15th Anniversary Brew...So good i stopped by RSVP on the way home to buy a few bottles to enjoy at a latter time.
I love coming to the Freeport location because the kids can be kids and the food and beer are great.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stopped in here on our way to Portland after a long drive from our home in NB Canada. The food was very good and the service was fast and friendly. I did find the prices a little high for lunch entrees were from 10.00 to 15.00 a plate. My husband and son loved their fish and chips. My other son had a hamburger and fries and I had a grilled steak penini sandwhich and fries. One thing I was surprised about was the children's menu did not include a beverage my granddaughters meal was 6.99 plus 1.75 for her beverage, she asked for chocolate milk that tasted like Quik rather than real chocolate milk.
Overall a good experience.