“Good reliable pub food”

Ranked #14 of 61 Restaurants in Freeport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Description: Gritty McDuff's, Maine's Original Brew Pub specializes in hand-crafted English style ales and traditional and creative pub fare, in a friendly and fun atmosphere. Both Gritty's fine ales and the pubs have won countless "best of" awards through our twenty-six years of operation. Our standard brews are session beers, Gritty's Pub-Style Pale Ale, McDuff's Best Bitter, Black Fly Stout, allowing one to have multiple beers within a reasonable time period without overwhelming the senses. Our seasonal and varietal ale offerings are more adventurous, some with a higher ABV, and some with higher IBU. We brew a beer for all craft brew palates. For the diner, we offer traditional pub fare alongside not so traditional specialty items. Our pub-style long tables with benches easily accommodate parties of all sizes and add to the camaraderie.
Reviewed December 17, 2012

When ever I am in the Freeport area, a stop at Grittys is a "must do" on the first night. We always seem to get in late and it's comforting to know a Black Fly Stout, good pub food, and a friendly atmosphere await. I am a vegetarian but there are several selections to choose from, especially the veggie burrito, in which the veggies change seasonally.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

The beer, food and staff are always great. Everytime we visit, there is always something new and interesting on the menu.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I think you should heed my advice and read the title of my review. They are, hands down, the best appetizer in the history of mankind (as long as you don't care about calorie intake, etc, etc.).
My wife and I went to Freeport for a week and went three times to this places just for the fries. The other meals were good, but they didn't even compare to this appetizer.

Good overall service, three separate locations. Freeport is a good one because they have outside seating. The one in Portland is more of a bar.

Enjoy the fries!

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Food is good, their beer is not bad either. I have eaten here twice, once for lunch and once for dinner. For lunch it was rather quiet and had a pinic style to our selves. When we went for dinner it was pretty crowded and we had to share a table. Was not to happy about the sharing a table idea but thank god it was not with any kids but by another couple. Some older people had to share a table with families and screaming kids - they did not look happy. Would eat here again but would request not to share a table or I ould sit at the bar.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I like the familiar pub-style atmosphere, but the food, like the beer, is just plain OK. For those of you not familiar with Gritty's beer, they only have one distinctive brew: the Black Fly Stout. The rest of the beers taste very similar, mostly because of the overpowering and distinctive taste left by the yeast they use. We found nothing interesting about the food: the Flank steak salad was ok, but with a shriveled piece of meat flopped on top. The Fish and Chips were a little soggy and just ok. The Pulled Pork sandwich was bland and plopped on a white bread bun. Even my 9-year-old, who likes all kinds of food, wouldn't touch the mac n cheese. Looking for a convenient meal with average prices? Go here. Looking for a great pub experience in Maine? Go elsewhere.