“We will never go back” 1 of 5 bubbles

China Rose Restaurant
Ranked #42 of 59 Restaurants in Freeport
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“We will never go back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

We went to china rose on a Sunday night at about 5. The place was not by any means busy. We were seated and given drinks. The waitress then took our order. The first of our two entrees came out in 15 minutes, the waitress said our other entree would be out soon. Half an hour later I asked for the manager. Explaining our situation was like talking to a brick wall. We then got our food and it was awful an burnt. By far the worst Chinese food I've ever had. Also the prices were sky high! We will never go back and strongly advise everyone else against it.

2 Thank Cindyclark

Yarmouth, Maine
“Tasty for over a decade - but quality can vary”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

This has been our favorite Chinese restaurant in the area for almost 20 years. Depending on who is cooking that night, the quality of the food can vary a bit (it often has more oil in it than I might otherwise prefer). Dining in has always offered much better tasting food than takeout, but we also order takeout often.

Appetizer favorites include:

Dumplings (pot stickers) - I wish they included cabbage and cilantro in the filling, which usually is all meat. Their ginger-soy dipping sauce for dumplings is wonderful.

Boneless BBQ Pork ribs - very tasty.

Teriyaki Beef - also very tasty.

Entree favorites include:

Orange Chicken - a reliable favorite for all in the family.

Sauteed green beans - very tasty, spiced just righ.

Hunan Chicken/Pork/Beef - comes in a wonderful sauce with a nice assortment of vegetables (broccoli, red bell peppers, miniature corn, water chestnuts).

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Damariscotta, Maine
“Nice alternative to tourist spots.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Lots of eateries in Freeport and many very good, but this is the only Chinese style and we found it it as a great alternative. Nice atmosphere and and good selection of standard menu choices. Has a full bar and great fried ginger ice cream for desert.

• Visited June 2012
Edmonds, Washington
“Chinese-style lobster is great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

I am Chinese and I visited Maine for a short trip and stopped by Freeport. We ate some Western style lobster during the trip and decided to try a lobster cooked in Chinese style. The owner cooked the lobsters himself and it was done just right. I can say it is even better than the one I had in Vancouver, BC. I didn't order other food but I highly recommend the scallion and ginger lobster.

• Visited June 2012
Freeport, Maine
“Don't Waste Your Time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

I am rarely inspired to write reviews and when I do, they are usually positive. Unfortunately, that is not the case this time. Due to the fact that China Rose is the only Chinese restaurant in Freeport, my fiance and I decided to give it a try. I have to admit, I checked it out online before going and read some horrible reviews. Despite the warning, I decided to experience it for myself...I wish I hadn't. Sadly, the reviews were correct. I have never tasted food so bland and flavorless in my life. Furthermore, it was very overpriced for the low quality we received. Take my advice and don't waste your time. There are many exceptional restaurants in Freeport to choose from.

• Visited December 2011