“Exceeded Expectation”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Mallet Drive
Description: Our waitress forgot our coffee & lines were long for popovers/prime rib otherwise I would have given 5 stars for service/ambiance. This was our 2nd time. Celebrating my b'day weekend. We were here a year ago & absolutely loved it. The variety of food from lobsters, prime rib, eggs cooked in various ways, dansom plum champagne infused smoothie soup with creme with mint to the absolutely yummy chocolate decadence cake, blueberry pie & so many other desserts are only some of food served at this delicious Sunday brunch. We will definitely go there again next time we're in Freeport, Maine. It's in the Harraseeket Inn. I've had Sunday brunches at other 5 star hotels in USA including Hawaii, Europe, Japan & Canada but this brunch beats them all
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Coming from the New York area, my expectations were tampered entering into a fine dining experience in rural Maine, especially considering the somewhat-high prices on the menu.

Our meal, however, was nothing less than spectacular. The price is more than justified by sizable portions and fresh, all-natural ingredients.

Better yet, the restaurant was a 30-second walk from our room at the Harraseeket Inn. It was a great experience and a memorable dinner.

1  Thank Carl D
There are newer reviews for The Maine Dining Room

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We ate dinner their on Saturday night and had a wonderful meal, and great service, Carlos our waiter has been there for years and loves his work. The new menu was outstanding and the remodeling in the room though not finished is a great improvement.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

My husband and I ate at the Maine Dining Room during a camping trip to Freeport on Memorial Day weekend. We did not make a reservation, so we were taking a chance that a table might be available. When we approached the young (and very sweet) hostess and asked about availability she said they were going to be busy, but there was plenty of space for us. Then another hostess (Lisa?) approached and asked us if we had a reservation - no - and then told us she had counted the people coming - 76 - and she didn't know if she could squeeze us in, we really should have made a reservation. She said she guessed we could probably have one of 2 available tables, and we were seated. We got water, ordered cocktails, and then Lisa approached again and said, "Oh dear..." She then proceeded to ask us to move to another, smaller, table because the one we were at could potentially seat 3 people. We moved. She reminded us that we were really lucky to even get in, and then turned to one of the waitstaff and said, "I just HATE to say no to people." It was as if she was doing us a favor by treating us so rudely. It needs to be mentioned that the first table we were at was not filled before we left the retaurant, and there were at least 6 other tables available as we departed 1 1/2 hours later.
Despite that lousy start, I have to say that our meals and cocktails were delicious. I had the duck - it was amazing. My husband had the seafood sampler - he said it was all really good, but he especially enjoyed the salmon. Our waiter, Carlos, was wonderful. For the food I would definitely return, but it is a shame that this lovely restaurant was so poorly represented at the front of the house.

2  Thank Elizabeth M
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Celebrating husband's birthday and went on a recommendation of a friend. Small plate appetizer of lobster crepes was delicious and generously sized. I ordered the "Steak and Egg' - filet mignon with quail egg which was also delicious. Hubby ordered the Jumbo Maine Scallops and his plate arrived with 4 scallops, all average size with one close to being burned but still edible. The asparagus served with his entree still had the woody ends, was overcooked and stringy. I ended up sharing my entree with him, after all, it was his birthday. To top that off, his complimentary bd dessert was a quarter size dollop of sorbet with a candle...had I known that, I would have at least ordered a proper dessert.

The service was great however we aren't sure if we'd go back. Perhaps this restaurant is best for their 'small plates' that we see recommended.

1  Thank gin48
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Don't miss trying the 'Little' plates of shrimp cocktail, risotto, and other delectable goodies from the Maine Dining Room's seasonal menu. A perfect evening with delicious food, excellent service and very reasonable prices if you stick to the 'Little' plates, which are more than enough food. We are always looking for an excuse to stop here for a meal but always make a reservation, and ask in advance for a spot near a fireplace! A meal at the Maine Dining Room is the highlight of every stay at the Inn. Relax and settle into your chair as a meal like this is not meant to be rushed.

1  Thank agamom