“Nice atmosphere.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Freeport Seafood Co. - CLOSED

Freeport Seafood Co.
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Nice atmosphere.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Stopped for a late bite to eat. My sister and I split the lobster roll with fries and the bacon wrapped scallops. Both dishes were good, but didn't really stand out. There was a decent amount of lobster on the lobster roll, but there are places that use more. The fries were good. Service was good. The food came out fast. Live music was just finishing up, so I bet it's nice to eat when they're playing. Overall, it was decent.

1 Thank Cp4890

Stowe, Vermont, United States
“Thoroughly Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I grew up around the corner from Freeport, and visited this restaurant on a vacation home to Maine with my fiance. The idea was to show her an example of classic Maine seafood. From the outside it looked perfect, no extra bells and whistles, just seafood. It was quite the opposite.

She ordered a lobster roll, which was actually prepared well and had a decent amount of lobster. She had sweet potato fries as a side, which despite being a little burnt, weren't bad either. I opted for the grilled cheese and lobster sandwich with mac and cheese as a side. The first thing I noticed when it was served was the lack of presentation. Grocery store sliced bread and a small dish of mac and cheese. I tried the mac and cheese first, and in no way am I exaggerating when I say it was the worst mac and cheese I ever had. It was cold, watery, bland, and unappealing. I had two bites and gave up. My fiance tried a bite and agreed it was terrible.

So I moved on to my sandwich. Bread is bread, I thought, so even if it doesn't look pretty, it should taste pretty? Gosh I was wrong... Once again it was bland, cold, and after one or two bites, completely unappealing. I have no idea how they found cheese with such little taste. I ate about a 1/4 of one half of the sandwich before I decided I couldn't do that to my stomach. At the time the lobster seemed fine. Granted, not amazingly fresh, but still, fine...

Oh boy was I wrong. About an hour after our meal while we were browsing the megastructure of LL Bean we both had to make a mad dash for the bathroom. I have never had such bad digestive issues from seafood. 5 hours later we both are still bent over in pain. So much for our vacation...

Here's the best part - they offered to comp my meal because I didn't eat much of it. I was extremely grateful as I didn't ask for the meal comped, and didn't even really complain, just simply told the waiter it "wasn't what I was expecting" when he asked how our food was. After we both got sick, on our way out of Freeport I stopped back at the restaurant to talk to the general manager. He was EXTREMELY rude to me and never once considered the idea that their food could have made us sick. It was a disgusting display of lack of customer service.

I will never return to this restaurant and STRONGLY ADVISE NO ONE ELSE VISITS. We were kicking ourselves the rest of the afternoon for not going to a more reputable restaurant with solid reviews. I made the mistake of eating here without reading any reviews, and now that I've gone through them it's obvious I'm not the only one who has had a negative experience.

Now that I think about it it's actually the worst restaurant I've ever been to. I hope the next time I visit Freeport a new business has already taken its place.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JsNeagle
Greenfield
“Great fresh seafood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

While on a short trip to Freeport I opted to dine at the Freeport Seafood Co. and it was evident by the full parking lot that I had made the right choice. There were loads of choices on the main menu and several specials that made my dinner choice a tough one. Our waiter was a little relaxed, but overall the service was good.The prices are reasonable for the fare and the seafood tasted really fresh. Next time I return to the area this will be my choice for fresh local seafood.

Weston, Massachusetts
“Delicious lobster roll”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is apparently a relatively new restaurant since it does not appear on the tourist maps. We had a late lunch here. At 3PM Happy Hour starts and appetizers are half price. We had crab cakes appetizer followed by a lobster roll and a fried haddock sandwich. Everything was perfectly prepared and very tasty. The lobster roll was one of the best we have had. Friday evenings they offer all you can eat fried haddock for $15 which sounds like a great deal.

• Visited April 2013
Portland, Maine
“Positive Experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just finished up my 3rd visit to this new Freeport restaurant and I'm happy to say each time has been positive for me, despite local word of mouth presenting it as less then average. My waiter was attentive and really knew his stuff. A HUGE plus for me was not having to wait for drinks -they arrived at the table moments after ordering!

I recommend siting outside when the weather permits, the new deck is beautiful! The inside has come across to me as overly sterile in appearance with a strong smell of low tide.

• Visited March 2013