“Awesome!!!”

L.L. Bean Outdoor Discovery School
Ranked #3 of 18 things to do in Freeport
More attraction details
Owner description: Learn fishing, paddling, kayaking at the school.
Wasaga Beach, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Awesome!!!”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The service and instruction were excellent. The prices are reasonable and for $20 you can try out an outdoor activity that you haven't done before (I did clay pigeon shooting but they also have fly fishing, archery, and other activities). The instructional staff were the best I've ever seen at any venue. I was highly impressed. At the end, they give us a 10% off coupon for the store so even if you buy $200 worth of stuff you basically get the course for free.

I definitely want to go back to do more and longer activities.

2 Thank bennrg2001

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Can't wait to try another weekend!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We did the Pedal and Paddle weekend as a family trip. The guides were phenomenal and more then patient ( we were a bit like "that family" in the movie..lol). Enjoyed the bike ride where we visited a farmer's market and a marina where we stopped for lunch ( best chicken salad wrap ever). Camping was great, enhanced by the show ( shooting stars) mother nature provided and a lobster dinner cooked by our guides. Kayaking the next day was wonderful and I snapped a few pix that are frame worthy. Would do this again in a heartbeat!

1 Thank Lynn F
New York City, New York
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“Kayak Adventure with Seasoned Guide”
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Such a worthwhile trip! Enjoyed kayaking with the guide, who was so interesting. Definitely will plan ahead so we can enjoy more adventures. You get a 10% LL Bean coupon after the experience, so save your shopping until later.

1 Thank Jacoba S
Alexandria, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Tap in to your inner explorer!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband is from Maine and every year we spend a portion of our summer vacation in and around Freeport. We have been telling ourselves for the last few years that we should try Bean's discovery classes and this year we finally got our act together to make reservations prior to our arrival (you just call to reserve your spot - no upfront payments). Our kids are 9 & 11 and now able to do pretty much all of the activities, so we tried our hand at kayaking and archery and we are VERY glad we did! We even brought along my 60+ year old mother-in-law who had never done either activity before.

The experience was everything you would expect and more from an LL Bean operation; the instructors were on-time, experienced, personable, and truly enjoyed what they were doing. The check-in and transportation to the activity was efficient and hassle-free. We did both of our classes on a weekday at 10AM (arriving 30 minutes early for check-in), so parking (free) was also a breeze. Our instructors (Dick & John for kayaking; Jack & Dana for archery) clearly explained each step of our activity, infused humor in their instruction, and really took time to work with each of us, especially if one of us was lagging behind for one reason or another. Safety was their first priority...fun a close second.

The cost of each activity was $20/person for about an hour of hands-on instruction and activity. It gets a little pricey for a family of five, but it was well worth the cost. All five of us now feel like we have a foundation on which to pursue our interest in each of these sports. In fact, my mother-in-law now wants to buy her own kayak (which would be so great when we visit!!). We also got to take with us our archery targets, impressing friends and family with our shooting accuracy. My kids loved the outings and have repeatedly asked to do more of each, which we will. Thank you, LL Bean for a tremendous experience!!

2 Thank Kristine R
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great break from a day of shopping in Freeport”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I took the 2pm archery class today and had a lot fun. I am not a very coordinated person, but our fantastic instructor, Pete, had me actually hitting the target after some patient instruction. Everything was very well coordinated and it was the perfect amount of time for a day trip in Freeport. They even provided water and sunscreen. Highly recommend and well worth the $20. Glad I booked our spaces ahead of time or it might have been full. Thanks, LL Bean Outdoor Discovery School!

1 Thank Buckeyes_9802