“Peaceful, scenic”

Ranked #4 of 23 things to do in Freeport
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

A well run state park that is kept very well clean, and well maintained. The mountain gives incredible views of the area, with ample areas to picnic, relax, take pictures. The cost to visit is minimal, and well worth it.

2  Thank Alcarter2013
in 4 reviews
"few hours"
"ll bean"

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I had lived ten minutes away from this park for many years and climbed the mountain many times to enjoy the views of Portland,ocean,and with a little luck and clear weather,you could see the Portland Head Light....Well...The views have changed...I haven't been up the mountain for a few years,as we live a considerable distance away now.
There have been many improvements since the last time I've been there.Better rest rooms,the trails to the summit are much better than I remember.
It's a lovely walk to the summit,Approximately forty five minutes.Lots of woods with a beautiful pine smell as well as lots of wildlife.But as far as I'm concerned the view is the draw....sadly there isn't any view anymore...Too many trees have grown much taller without any pruning.Chalk it up to state funding I guess.I'm sure I'm not the only one that's been disappointed!!
Just a thought....What if you got all these weekend people that are incarcerated in our county jails and get them up there,with supervision,to properly prune the trees as necessary to get back the beautiful view that use to be there. Sorry I went on and on...Just sooo disappointed

4  Thank Larry J
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Bradbury Mountain State Park is located at 528 Hallowell Road in Pownal, ME---NOT Freeport which is about 5 miles away. It is on Route 9 near the intersection with Elmwood Road.

The State of Maine acquired the 800+ acre park from the federal government in 1939. It is one of Maine's five original state parks.

The park has two areas: one for camping and one for outdoor activities.

Three-season activities include camping, hiking, picnicking, bird-watching, horseback riding, and off-road biking. Winter activities include cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling.

If hiking, be sure to ask for a trail map at the ranger station.

There is a small play area for children.

Restroom facilities are rustic.

My visit was about 11:30 AM for a short hike followed by a picnic lunch prior to going to the Desert of Maine in nearby Freeport. The picnic area has tables under the trees and under a canopy-style hut for rainy-day dining. It was nice setting for leisurely lunch outdoors.

As with every state park in Maine I've visited, Bradbury Mountain was clean and well-kept. There was not one piece of trash anywhere.

If you didn't or couldn't pack lunch but want to pick up some nice upscale sandwiches, Edna & Lucy’s Wicked Good Sandwiches shop is at 407 Hallowell Road---near the corner of Elmwood Road. Prices run about $7.50 + tax.

6  Thank Maurene_K
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This park was easy to access from the Freeport area. We spent a little over an hour hiking to the summit, enjoying the view, and being on our way. I thought it was great that you could access a view like that in such a short visit because we had limited time.

1  Thank Nerzie