“Great food, nice service, a hidden gem in Freeport.”

Freeport Chowder House
Ranked #48 of 62 Restaurants in Freeport
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Fast, wait time around 5 minutes for anything on the menu We make every thing from scratch, chowders, Home made french fries Onion rings, all the fish and chicken is cut fresh by our chef. He has been in the restaurant Business.for 50 years, has worked at the Beach Club Hotel in Naples Fla. and came home to work for Capt. Newicks in South Portland where they won best clams in the State of Maine many times when he was the leed cook.
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Freeport Chowder is exceptional, good food, fast service, and food to order. The onion rings are hand cut to your liking (I like them thin), the chowder is excellent, often New England chowders are very thick and gummy, Freeport Chowders is just right with lots of clams and potatoes. They will make your lobster roll with just butter (I know it's a Connecticut way to do it). They want their customers to enjoy your what you ordered. You can find over priced, fancy restaurants in Freeport that don't do as food as well as Freeport Chowder.

Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

The chowder was good but I was extremely disappointed when I brought my kids in right before closing time (7/2/14) and three high school kids were working and talking with bad language and about drugs. If made us so uncomfortable that we took our chowder outside to a bench and ate under a tree in the rain. For close to $40 for three bowls of chowder, can of soda and two waters I expect the service to be a heck of a lot better. Embarrassing.

Thomas B, Manager at Freeport Chowder House, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Thank You very much for your help i am making changes so this will not happen again. Please contact me if there is anything i can do to help. Thomas Brown Manager, Freeport Chowder House.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

It's a waste of time. Lobster roll was tiny. I asked for it without lettuce and they have it to me with it. The girl serving me looked like she wanted nothing more than to leave. The lady ahead of us got chowder and she said it was greasy. Not a good experience. Go down the street to one of the other places.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We split a Lobster Roll and each had a bowl of chowder. The food was excellent and the staff (one was the owner) were very friendly and shared ideas of things to do in Freeport.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

We had been travelling around Maine on holiday for ten days, we had sampled most of the seafood around, and so far everything we had had was good fresh clean food at a fair price.
Seeing this place advertised it has so many awards, we thought it must be good (surely they would not make false claims??)

We ordered (for the first time ever 2 bowls of Lobster stew) a portion of fries and 2 diet cokes, "thank you that will be $37" .........wow this must be good we thought!

Wow what a disappointment, the food was not served to the table, canteen style we were summoned back by a miserable bloke to the serving counter to collect our "meal"
The "meal" consisted of,
Two cardboard bowls of inedible bits of lobster floating around in a creamy liquid, with a 1 inch layer of red clarified buttery grease floating on top, as I said earlier we had not tried this dish before but find hard to believe how anybody could stomach this concoction?

The fries were greasy and limp, again served in a cardboard tray.

The 2 drinks were served in unopened cans with no glass.

I scooped out the grease coated lobster but found impossible to eat any of the liquids
My wife could not even take on mouthful.
We had a few fries, had our drinks and left after about 5 minutes, we then spent the next 10 minutes trying to de-grease our hands.
Hats off to this place, in 10 days of holiday they managed to serve the only bad food we had in the whole of Maine!!
Stay clear its expensive, poor food and appalling service