“hole in the wall but pretty good food”

Freeport Chowder House
Ranked #45 of 61 Restaurants in Freeport
Cuisines: Seafood
Hermon, Maine
“hole in the wall but pretty good food”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

this was the first time we had been there since they refurbished--big improvement.....pleasant booths....had the lunch special "clam chowder/fried haddock"....the chowder was some of the best we have had, lots of clams....the haddock ( 4 good sized pieces) was done perfectly....the two of us split the meal and there was more than enough.....down side was the French fries were just so-so...but for a quick lunch will go again....

• Visited March 2014

Portland, Maine
“Portions Ridiculously Small”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I'm a huge fan of chowders so I decided to try theirs, the chowder was good, but the fried haddock sandwich and the scallops we got with the chowder were so poor that I can only rate it a two. There were only 6 scallops and that is ridiculous considering the price you pay. If you are coming to Maine there are a lot better places that offer seafood. Sadly, I do try to help out the small local businesses, but you still need to get your moneys worth.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank J H
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Nice, Simple Lobster Stew”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Lobster stew, by its very nature, is simple. Here, it’s simple and wonderful. The flavor was good and the portion a decent size for the price. It’s a small shop and very limited seating. It’s not a bad deal if you find a seat or have a place to take it and savor every piece of lobster and every drop of butter and cream.

• Visited December 2013
Haverhill, Massachusetts
“Quick stop for quick lunch”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My husband got a coupon while we were shopping so we decided to try it out since we generally like "hole in the wall" places. He had corn chowder and was very happy with the portion and the quality. My 7 yr old had a grilled cheese and proclaimed it "great". I ordered a fish sandwich but I wasn't as pleased as the rest of the family. The haddock was OK and the portion was perfect for a small appetite but the roll was very dry and crumbly. My side of fries must have been from the bottom of the fryer b/c they were itty bitty bits and over-fried.

If we were to go back, I think I'd go for the clam chowder since everyone near us that had it sounded very happy.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Kimberly L
Boston
“Never going agian”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I had been to this place some years ago and had a great memory of the clam chowder. On a recent trip I had a less than great time.
The decor seems to be updated more than the last time, but that is not what you are there for. one lone employee attends the customers somewhat like a one man band. Operatng microwaves, toasters and the like behind the counter along with everything else. The place was cold I mean real cold. I could see no heat source in the front customer area besides one of those plug in portable units. Every time the door opened that little heat disappeared.
There is a limited menu (OK i am there for the chowder remember) Nice new signs proclaimed packed with clams. Well I went for the full boat. The bread bowl (1.99 more) and a bowl of clam chowder (not the cup). What I received was a very good bread bowl with very little chowder. The size of the scoop was large than a golf ball but not by much. What was inside was mostly potato cubes and some broth. I looked and found parts of a total of one clam. Canned sods were $2.00 per can.
The kids had chicken tenders and very little of those either. There were served with some fries, which were not bad. Looks like the place just isn't what it used to be. I will be looking for another.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Constructiontype

Been to Freeport Chowder House? Share your experiences!