Kendall Tavern Inn Bed and Breakfast
Quality Suites(Freeport)(Great Value!)
$99
QualityInn
Hampton Inn Freeport/Brunswick(Freeport)(Great Value!)
$139
$68
Candlebay Inn(Freeport)
$149
$189
Casco Bay Inn(Freeport)(Great Value!)
$115
$179
All reviewsfront porchboston roombreakfast was deliciousowners markwonderful hostscookiesdietary restrictionsprivate bathroomfun weekendwarm hospitalityeach morningrestaurant recommendationsabsolutely stay here againother guestsdowntown freeportshort walkboth mornings
Reviewed October 7, 2008

While traveling through Maine we stopped at Kendall Tavern for 2 nights and we truly enjoyed our stay there. Tim and Loree were friendly and welcoming. The breakfast was filling and delicious with plenty of options. We had rooms 1 & 2 which were a good size with their own bathrooms. We really enjoyed the family room downstairs with the TV and games. We met many other travelers that were staying with us which added to the B&B experience. We even ran into 4 of them further north in Bar Harbor 2 days later! The decor is country, but restained and not overdone. Loved the little touches like candy, cookies, and the frridge. We would love to visit again!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2008

My wife and I just returned from a 3 week long vacation. We stayed at 8 different inns and hotels along the way. This was one of our favorites. We were greeted by name and given the tour. It was nice to have acess to the a fridge in the kitchen that provided complimentary drinks. Our room was clean but a bit small(room #5). I enjoyed talking to Tim each morning. He was an excellent, friendly, caring host. The breakfast was awesome each day. We liked being away from the downtown shopping area. It was quiet and relaxing. The walk was only 7 minutes to L.L. Bean. I will stay there again on our next visit to Freeport.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2008

This B&B got a nice review in a Frommer's book on Maine so I called ahead to check it out. The owner said $130 over the phone for a king-size room. There were plenty of vacancies around Freeport that day and I probably could have beat the pavement for a better deal but we wanted to settle in since it was late afternoon and check out the patagonia outlet, etc. When I got there, the owner said $135 and I said, you said $130 and he just laughed but was very friendly so I thought we were good. The next morning he presents a bill for $140; what is that? It was awkward and because he's older I wasn't sure it his memory is not sharp or if indeed it's sharp enough to squeeze some more $ out of me. In any event, it's the furthest thing from being gracious. The inn is frilly and the food is high in sugar, as someone else noted in a review; it was actually a pretty bad breakfast of not thoroughly cooked French toast and 2 strips of bacon. Who cares if there are pillsbury cut-and-bake cookies out? It's not worth $140. It was deceptive since he initially said $130. Fortunately, Maine people are very cool and this was the only phony on the trip!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2008

My wife and I were just driving south from Maine when we decided that we needed to rest. We saw the Inn that looked like a normal house at the beginning, if not for the sign at the entrance.

The room was fantastic, big comfy bed and large room with private bathroom.

The Kendall's are very nice and gave us good tips on where to eat dinner. They have menus of all the restaurants of freeport so you can check them out directly in the hotel before going.

The room was pretty silent, and when we got up for breakfast what a surprise! we ate the best breakfast of our trip, a great portion of french toast with whipped cream and strawberries. fantastic!

The inn isn't quite at walking distance from the town but it's ok to take the car planty of parking.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2007

I recently toured Maine for a month staying at 11 B&Bs, motels, etc. The Kendall Tavern Inn was the place I stayed on my first night after flying in from the UK and this meant they got the spaced-out, "must stay awake until at least 9pm" version of me, for which I am sorry! I was greeted immediately and they knew who I was rather than having to look me up which felt very welcoming and and also a big relief when it is dark and you've travelled thousand of miles not to have any issues with your first night's accommodation.

I was given a brief tour of the common areas which consisted of the covered porch, 3 living rooms (one with a TV and one with a piano) and a kitchen with a table. All were spacious and very comfortable. There were fresh cookies and brownies and bowls of individually-wrapped chocolates (e.g. Hersheys) were dotted around. Bring your willpower. The fridge was full of lovely complimentary refreshments, from good quality water, sodas like Coke to beer. Now THAT'S civilised and something that only happened at one other place I stayed.

The whole place was geared up to allow people to stay for a week or more, rather than just a night or two. Lots of space, hundreds of books to read, magazines and newspapers, comfortable furnishing, high speed wireless internet (I didn't use it but can verify it's presence because a young couple were tapping away the next morning and I asked them) and even a basket of free toiletries you may have forgotten (I used the toothbrush for my whole trip, thanks!).

Tim was often around and was a friendly presence, not intrusive but available to chat with. As I said, I was in the midst of a very long day so just zombied-out in front of the TV until I could finally go to sleep. I think I had room 5 but in any event it was upstairs and right at the back. It was small but perfectly formed and although the bathroom only had a shower in it that wasn't a problem to me. Yes, it is quite flowery decor but it didn't bother me at all actually. The fact that the room was private, silent and clean was more important. Although, like many B&Bs, it is situated on Route 1 I didn't hear any road noise, perhaps because it set back 30 yards, probably mainly due to being at the back of the house. Either way this had been my main concern and it I was very glad it turned out to be a false concern.

Breakfast was at individual tables in the very pleasant breakfast room. Tim told me one of the paintings, a lovely watercolour I had admired, was actually painted by a fellow Brit who had stayed there and casually presented it to Tim as a gift when he left. Nice gift! Breakfast was comprehensive - help-yourself cereals, coffee, juice, freshly made hot food... no chance of going hungry! But you could easily have a light breakfast and go for a jog if that's more your preference.

Overall, this was a cut above the rest. It was priced accordingly - I paid $165 including tax as a single traveller and this was markedly more expensive than anywhere else I stayed but Freeport isn't the cheapest place anyway and I had no problem with the value once I'd stayed here - I could happily settle in for ages.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo