Maine Idyll Motor Court
Quality Suites(Freeport)(Great Value!)
$99
QualityInn
Hampton Inn Freeport/Brunswick(Freeport)(Great Value!)
$139
Hotels.com
$68
$60
Travelocity
Casco Bay Inn(Freeport)(Great Value!)
$115
Travelocity
Harraseeket Inn(Freeport)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsfront porchmodern luxurymultiple cabinsfirewood providedeach cabin has its ownwooded areadowntown freeportpeace and quietqueen bedfour nightswood burning fireplacelonger staynova scotiaeach morningbar harbormainethrowback
Reviewed June 3, 2010

My husband and I stayed for a week at the end of May and beginning of June, 2010 while we visited our daughter nearby. We were so pleased with the Maine Idyll. The cabins are really cute with knotty pine interiors and ours (#5) had a really cozy little fireplace (wood is provided for free) and a nice little furnished kitchen. The cabins are spaced pretty far apart so you don't hear your neighbors. (One thing to watch out for is that some of the cabins are near highway 295 which is kind of noisy so you might want to ask for a cabin away from 295. The noisier ones would probably be 13,14, 15, 16, 17, and 18). The bathroom was big and bright. We had a great porch to sit on too. The rooms (ours was a 2-bedroom cabin) have thermostats and there's a fan and the windows open if you like fresh air. Our cabin was very clean and someone came and serviced it daily. Also the friendly owners provide a great little continental breakfast every day with fresh coffee and decaf and warm homemade scones, muffins, coffee cake, and crescent rolls (usually 2 items per day). One of the best things was that this is right near Freeport (about 2 miles away) which is expensive, but the prices are really good at the Maine Idyll (especially with the super-great weekly rate we got). All in all, a great place to stay and we highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tw0Fr0mSanDieg0
Reviewed May 12, 2010

We love the Maine Idyll Motor Court's Cabins.
They have real wood burning fireplaces and they're very clean and the mattresses are sealy perfect sleepers which are very comfortable. The cleanliness is important to me and I was impressed. They have home made curtains (so charming) and nice little touches that show the owners really care. This was our 2nd time there and although we only live little more than an hour away, it's a great little escape from the day to day stressfull lives we now have and at their rates its a little get away we can afford. Some have mentioned the noise of 295 but we used a little fan which we sleep with nightly anyway and we didn't hear a thing. I'm sure we will be back :)

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Martin5c
Reviewed September 27, 2009

I've stayed in a lot of cottages and cabins in New England and this place is charming. Our unit (#5, handicapped accessible ) was spotless. They have cable TV now which was good for my friend, a very modest kitchenette with mismatched dishes, tasty pastries for breakfast, and a good location for Freeport. We shut the windows at the front of the unit at night and heard no road noise at all. There was a strong wood smoke smell when we checked in (fireplace in bedroom) so we left the screened doors and windows open for a bit and then it was gone. We didn't use the fireplace ourselves as it is a modest type typical in these 1930's era places and you need to open a window slightly to draft properly. Not worth it for a couple of friends just hanging out in the evening. I wonder what some of the reviewers were expecting. Sometimes I travel to be on the ocean or deep in the woods or near cultural attractions. This is a place to be near to shopping and near pretty drives to the shore while having comfortable beds at a modest price.

Maine Idyll is a throw back to another age with little prayers posted next to the beds and wishes for a peaceful stay tacked by the door. It is simple. There are many other places in the area for folks who want more amenities.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank robinshood2
Reviewed August 25, 2009

I have been passing by the Maine Idyll since the early 1960’s and finally decided that I should spend a night there, having grown up with New England cottage and cabin colonies.
Most of what has been reported to Trip Advisor is true. What one must remember is that it is not a Residence Inn or even Super 8 and makes no effort to be like one, so don’t expect AC, carpets, wi-fi, electronic room keys, etc.
Cabin 2 was squeaky clean except for a tiny line of mold along the bottom of the shower curtain in the updated shower stall. With the rainy, humid weather New England has endured all summer, this is probably to be expected, as the cabins are shaded by giant hemlock trees, and things have no opportunity to dry out completely.
Amenities include screens, a fan, a broom and dustpan, microwave, small refrigerator, cable TV with a couple of dozen channels, and, in the morning, light homemade pastries and good coffee in the office lobby. There has been considerable discussion on Trip Advisor about the traffic noise. The expressway behind the cabins was built long after they were there and I hope someone gave the management mitigation money for any possible lost business. I live in an extremely rural area and am used to a very quiet night with windows open. The traffic sounds very far off and were not a problem at all. Children will like the new playground equipment, I’m sure.
A few caveats: Bring a bright light bulb for the bedside lamp if you read in bed. If you are tall, you will have a problem with your feet hitting the pipe bed frame. Also, if you go out for the evening, do not turn on the porch light or you will have many insect visitors upon your return! And there is an odor inside the place that I could not identify. I think it was a very strong cleaning solution which I can still smell two days after my visit.

The next time I’d like to bring the grandkids and let them explore all the trails.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 5, 2009

I wanted to love this place, even like it but I cannot say I favor either one. We were glad it was only 1 night and kind of hated the fact that I had already paid up front a few months prior because we would have gotten our money back and went somewhere else. With all the love given to this place via all the people who have posted to Tripadvisor I was extremely disappointed. When we had first driven to the back of the property to our cottage we were shocked that it faced Interstate 295 and wanted to see if we could move to a space that would be located in the middle of the road (Route 1) and the interstate to minimize the road noise. No such luck, they were booked. So we just hoped our 2 fans (1 fan was provided and the other one was ours) would drown out the noise. We weren’t so lucky. We heard all the BIG trucks and vehicles all night.

On top of the road noise the cottage was extremely filthy and down right nasty including a smell that made we worry about the last time this cottage was actually cleaned. There was mold on the ceiling of the bathroom as well as the floor was dirty in the entire place. I was actually scared to sleep in the bed which led to a not so pleasant night. We couldn’t wait to leave.

I would honestly not recommend this place. There are plenty of other places to stay in the area which are much more enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple