“Don't stay in the townhouse!!”
Review of Harraseeket Inn

Harraseeket Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Freeport
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 22, 2012

After driving for a few hours we came into Freeport and needed a place to stay. We went into the lobby of the inn and thought it was quaint. The only room we could get for 2 couples was a townhouse. At first the clerk offered it to us at $350.00 for the night. After seeing our reaction to the price he dropped it down to $275.00. Since we needed a place to stay we said ok. We specifically asked the clerk if the townhouse has good beds. he said oh yes the beds are great and customers even want to buy our linens and pillows. Well not the case. Linens we ok, but the pillows sucked. They were as flat as a pancake. The mattress was old and needed to be replaced. In a 3 bedroom townhouse, there was hardly any furniture, and only one bathroom. The townhouse needs a reno. Carpet was old and it looked like no one had cleaned it in months. Window sills were dirty and baseboards dusty. Next morning as I am styling my hair I see a crew bringing in new mattresses to the other townhouses. I guess we were one day to early for the new beds. Would I stay again??? Maybe. It was a little pricey for what you get. It included a hot breakfast the next morning. The breakfast was average. It certainly was better than no breakfast at all. We complained about the beds to the manager. She was nice and dropped the room rate.

Room Tip: Maybe try the main lodge.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
nadianichols, Owner at Harraseeket Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

We're very sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Our townhouses are scheduled for renovations this winter (and we've started the process with the new mattresses, as you observed during your stay) but it's tough to do large renovations during busy season. The townhouses are used mostly for extended stay rentals, though lately with increased demand several have been rented on a nightly basis. You're right, it's high time they had a facelift! We hope you give us another try in the future, and thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We are on our way to the airport after a 4 night stay at the Harraseeket (Sept 14-18) and cannot wait to come back! It's funny that someone who stayed at the same place at the same time had such an awful time they felt the need to write such a scathing review while we found everything to be wonderful. The location was perfect, not only for walking to the shops, but also for easy access to local highways for sightseeing. The staff were all so friendly and went out of their way to be helpful-like Debra and Penny who helped us plan out excursion to Mt Battie and also helped us separate our rental car keys :-) and Steve who kept track of us and asked how my sister was after her episode of seasickness! Several of the housekeeping staff offered suggestions on things to see and places to visit in addition to keeping our room immaculate. We especially enjoyed our evening spent around the firepit, and the willingness of the Broad Arrow staff to bring our drinks and pizza out to us. As far as a "fly infestation" goes-perhaps that person would be happiest in their own sanitary, no fly zone!! Thanks to Chip Gray for the friendly conversations and the great moose story! Again, we can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Lynn1952
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Every time we visit, we talk about how much we love it here, and I had to respond after reading some recent reviews of this wonderful inn to help visitors to this site get a balanced perspective in order to make their decision. While I understand kenpj was not pleased, my 15 year history of staying at the Harraseeket Inn and my most recent stay from September 11-16, 2012 has been the polar opposite of what he describes. I started coming in 1998 and don't even consider staying anywhere else ... The Harraseeket Inn is our destination. We routinely see other people who return time and time again ... they love it here too! I'd hate for some of you to miss out on a great experience due to a "never again" review.
The inn and its grounds are lovely. No, the inn wasn't built in the last five years, nor is it a standard national hotel chain. There are a lot of those around, but only one Harraseeket Inn. The only other place that I have felt compelled to write a letter to the general manager or rave review about a glowingly positive experience with service and attention to detail is the JW Marriott in Chicago -- that is a hotel chain, but a top of the line site of a national hotel chain ... I have high standards and expectations and return to the Harraseeket year after year.
Each time I visit (now twice a year), I notice changes/touches ... some subtle, some big ... showing the Gray family and their fine staff are continuously improving this wonderful inn and paying attention to the details. One year it was an upgrade to the ever-so-comfy beds. Another year it was a bathroom make-over in the room my aunt and uncle always reserve. There was the installation of the thing that makes the inn's own biodiesel. More recently plasma tvs were added. Carpeting has been updated. A beautiful new bar was installed in the Maine Dining Room a few years ago. I've stayed in rooms on the second and third floors in both the original building and the newer wing and have never been disappointed. Rooms are always clean, the sheets soft, the bedspreads and towels white white, ice in the ice bucket just for me and not in a common ice machine, Wilburs of Maine chocolates with turndown service. My mother commented that you don't get that antiseptic cleaning solution smell when you enter rooms yet the rooms smell and feel "fresh and clean". Maybe that is because they use products that are safe and good for the environment -- and humans! (my highly allergic aunt appreciates that.) I get kind of grossed out with bedspreads at other hotels that often have busy designs to help hide stains .. ??? Not here at the Harraseeket ... I have no problem touching the snow white bedspreads here.
When talking value ... sure price is always a consideration. Here, I justify the price I pay quite easily. At the Harraseeket Inn, you get the convenient location; the comfortable rooms; the generous common areas where you can sit and chat, read a book, relax, people-watch; fresh local well-prepared food; a commitment to the environment; an indoor swimming pool; attention to detail; efficient staff; sumptuous breakfast; two elevators, fresh flowers; afternoon tea; FREE internet access; (I travel extensively for work and am always charged for internet access -- not here. If you don't have your computer, they have one you can use in the lobby), ample parking; handicap accessibility and attentiveness; pet-friendly accommodations, small exercise room; outdoor dining. Their staff is first class ... always attentive, helpful, and friendly -- and I'm not just talking about at the front desk. The breakfast included in the room rate is incredible and so far beyond any national hotel chain complimentary breakfast that you just can't compare. Tea includes tea and coffee, tea sandwiches, scones, cookies, fruit, cheese and crackers.
When I checked in last week, my room felt warm, and it didn't seem to cool off quickly when I lowered the thermostat. Things sometimes go wrong ... here or anywhere. I mentioned something to Clayton at the front desk, and when I returned to my room 1/2 hour later, it was refreshingly cool to my liking with no further issues -- prompt and effective service.
The other reviewer who stayed the same time I did commented about a fly infestation ... I think infestation is a gross over-statement. I pay close attention to everything when I stay at the inn, and I did see some flies during my week-long stay in Freeport at the inn (none in my room), at LL Bean, at DeRosiers, at the CVS. Unfortunately I find flies in my own home sometimes. All of the hot items on the breakfast buffet are constantly covered (with lids, not flies!). ... disease-ridden flies -- as the other reviewer dramatically described -- were not covering the food as I was enjoying my breakfast, lunch in the tavern, or dinner in either the tavern or Maine Dining Room. (Which, by the way, if you dine in the MDR -- try the small plate lobster timbale -- fabulous!) I, too, saw the electronic fly swatter ... it looked like a tiny tennis racket. When I asked for a demonstration, we waited in the drawing room until we saw two flies on which to test it out.
If there isn't enough room to sit in the drawing room when you get your tea and snacks -- which sometimes happens as tea time is very popular -- try the lobby, the comfortable green couches in the area outside the pool, or an adirondak chair by the fire pit.
My opinion of this place is higly positive.

Room Tip: Share your expectations and wishes with the front desk when calling to make your reservation. They w...
1  Thank KTM990-28
nadianichols, Owner at Harraseeket Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Wow. What an incredible review. Thank you from the bottom of 160 "Team Harraseeket Inn" hearts. You just made our day. Our summer. Our year. Thank you!!!

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had 2 nights on the third floor. Our room was clean and did not smell. Yes the hotel is old, but we knew that before booking and liked the character of it. Our bed was soooo comfortable and the sheets were like silk. There was no street noise.
The buffet breakfast was fine, and the hotel buys all local produce to support the local economy. We had one dinner at the hotel's casual eatery Broad Arrow Tavern. You had to put your name on a wait list to get a table which speaks for itself in my opinion.
The outlet shopping was an easy stroll away (too easy some husbands might think!).
And not one fly in sight :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank manda6062

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us...and for helping to cheer our staff after two very disheartening reviews. We're so thankful you enjoyed your stay with us. The Harraseeket Inn wasn't built yesterday, she's been around for a long time and it's a constant effort to keep her renovated and fresh. We do our best to keep her beautiful for our guests but the bar can always be raised, and we take our reviews very seriously. Our staff is the greatest, they always go above and beyond and are like family to us. One of our favorites on the front desk fell in love with an Australian several years ago and now she lives in Australia! We miss her. Again, thank you for your kind review and we hope you enjoyed your visit to the grand state of Maine.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Usually Trip Advisor steers us in the right direction but not this time. The property is very old and you smell it and feel it when you arrive. Our room was on the third floor and felt musty. There was a fly in the room that took us twenty minutes to track down and eliminate. There was enough dust on the lamp stand beside the bed you could write your name in it. Both bulb of one of the bedside lamps were burnt out and were replaced when I brougt it to their attention but by then we knew we had made a great error. Afternoon tea in the sitting room had enough chairs for maybe twenty people in a hotel that holds several hundred guests..go figure. Again flies were all over the food and again you could write your name on the piano beside our chairs. The bathroom door was very heavy and creaked so badly that it woke my partner during the evening when I went to the bathroom. The buffet breakfast was included but was again spoiled by the numerous flies all over the various food dishes on the table. When we left after one day of a planned two day stay, one of the hotel employees in the lobby told another guest jokingly when asked, that he was carrying an electronic fly swatter. It looked like some kind of paddle.
This hotel definitely has a fly infestation problem and disease carrying flies all over food being served is alone reason enough for me to leave. Dirty, noisy and fly infested..sorry but do not know why anyone would want to stay here.

Room Tip: do not stay here
2  Thank kenpj
nadianichols, Owner at Harraseeket Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Wow. It seems like we failed on all fronts during your stay and we're truly sorry. You may have heard the entire staff groan when I read your comments aloud. We recently had a briefing on the annual fall fly invasion and the importance of keeping all the doors closed. However, in a busy inn like ours the entry doors are always opening and closing, sometimes being propped open for luggage carts, and this time of year it's a real challenge to keep flies from coming inside. (They love the smell of all that food!) As for the dust problem, we have an excellent housekeeping staff and I'll take this up with my head housekeeper. There shouldn't have been a speck of dust anywhere. Our afternoon tea is served in the drawing room and our guests are seated both there and in the Maine Dining Room. We'll make sure our staff is directing all our guests to these seating areas. Thank you for bringing these matters to our attention, and thank you for your feedback. We hope you enjoy the rest of your summer.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Everybody raves about this hotel. I find it overpriced, run down and old. The beds and furniture are from the 80's and the amenities are out of date. The television is outdated, the gym is almost non existent and the decor looks old! The only redeeming factors are the service which is good and the location. I think it is definitely overpriced for what it is. Even though we had a nice experience, I would not stay here again. They need to update or lower the price!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your feedback. We're glad you had a good experience but we're very sorry the Harraseeket Inn didn't measure up to your expectations. Your comments will be shared with our staff and we hope they will have a positive impact on our future operations. We want every guest to have a great experience and to leave here happy and wanting to return.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

First time staying at this Inn and would love to go back. The rooms are lovely and very clean, having turn down service is a nice touch. Breakfast was included and far exceeded our expectations. We also had lunch and dinner at the Broad Arrow Tavern which was delicious!
All staff that we encountered at the inn were so friendlly and accomodating. Very close to LL Bean and other stores.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
nadianichols, Owner at Harraseeket Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Thank you for a wonderful review! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and your visit to Freeport, and we hope to see you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Hilton Garden Inn Freeport Downtown
#8 of 11 in Freeport
The Daniel
The Daniel
#1 of 11 in Brunswick

Been to Harraseeket Inn? Share your experiences!