“Always a good time..”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Always a good time..”
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

I've been going to Conundrum for years and know I can always count on a great meal and a great drink. They hands down have the best selection around. If you really know your wines, ask Vinny if you can take a peak in the wine closet, I guarantee you'll be impressed.

The menu changes often but they always offer a great vegetarian option. This month it's a falafel wrap but my fiancé loves the fish tacos!

I would recommend this place all day long! Enjoy!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank MACOHumane

New York City, New York
“What a find!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

A friend invited me for dinner to this hidden gem in South Freeport. The food was delicious and plentiful. The wines were second to none. Conundrum has a HUGE wine cellar and the owner, Vin, helped us pick out a wine we would like. I liked it so much I ordered two cases for home! We returned with a group of friends and the experience repeated.

Conundrum does not take reservations for parties under 6 and it is busy. After 8.30 it is relatively easy to get a table without a wait.

1 Thank THESUPERFRANK
Portland, ME
“Delicious food and superior service!”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I went out for the first time last night since our baby was born and we both agreed we just had to go to Conundrum. The owner greeted us at the door, showed us to a comfortable waiting place, personally brought drinks over and let us know about the time for a table and options which is just superb customer service -- something you can always count on there. The waitress was delightful and the food was as always, exquisite. The atmosphere is also fantastic with nice lighting, good music, and a fun outdoor area that's very warm with heat lights and a fire in winter. This is a very popular place in the area so people should come early, enjoy a drink from their extensive selection of excellent wines and beers, relax and enjoy conversation while you wait. The plates are large, tasty, and the menu offers a really great selection. The mussels in particular are hands down the best I've ever had. Highly recommend this wonderful place in Freeport!

2 Thank TravelerMaine2
Maine, USA
“This Conundrum is no puzzle”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We visited Conundrum on the edge of Freeport, Maine for the first time the other night. We had an absolutely delightful and satisfying experience. We went with a shuttle bus load of fellow residents at The Highlands Retirement Community. None of us knew where we were going (it was our monthly Mystery Dinner with Harold, in which Harold our bus driver takes us to his choice of restaurant which is a total mystery to us until we arrive. Great fun!) and none of us had ever been there.

In getting off the bus, I noticed that there was a back deck with clear vinyl shades to keep the weather out. It was a cold March evening in Maine and I thought, "Oh, no! Not back there! We'll freeze." That's where our tables were reserved for us, but it was cozy warm due to three blazing wood stoves. A great start to what turned out to be a fantastic dinner.

The only disappointment came with the so-so cocktails. My Old Fashioned and my wife's Perfect Manhattan were drinkable, but not the best. Our dinners were first rate, however. My wife's pork chop and my barbecue ribs were both among the best dinners we've ever had anywhere. We chose a bottle of Malbec for accompaniment, and it was good enough to play a duet with the dinners. Our waitress was attentive and personable, even with three tables full of seniors to deal with. As we rebounded our bus for our return to The Highlands, the opinion was unanimous. Conundrum was a hit and Harold was our hero.

1 Thank yalahajohn
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
“A New Favorite”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This restaurant was recommended and we were not disappointed. The atmosphere was cozy and warm on the cold December night that we visited, and the food was excellent. Both the bar and food menus were interesting, and the service welcoming. We were greeted by the owner as we arrived, decided to sit at the bar and had the pleasure of being served by a personable and knowledgeable bartender named Spenser, who makes a great lemon drop martini. All in all a very enjoyable evening.

• Visited December 2012