“Delicious food and superior service!”
Review of Conundrum

Conundrum
Ranked #24 of 59 Restaurants in Freeport
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Portland, ME
“Delicious food and superior service!”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I went out for the first time last night since our baby was born and we both agreed we just had to go to Conundrum. The owner greeted us at the door, showed us to a comfortable waiting place, personally brought drinks over and let us know about the time for a table and options which is just superb customer service -- something you can always count on there. The waitress was delightful and the food was as always, exquisite. The atmosphere is also fantastic with nice lighting, good music, and a fun outdoor area that's very warm with heat lights and a fire in winter. This is a very popular place in the area so people should come early, enjoy a drink from their extensive selection of excellent wines and beers, relax and enjoy conversation while you wait. The plates are large, tasty, and the menu offers a really great selection. The mussels in particular are hands down the best I've ever had. Highly recommend this wonderful place in Freeport!

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank TravelerMaine2

Maine, USA
“This Conundrum is no puzzle”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We visited Conundrum on the edge of Freeport, Maine for the first time the other night. We had an absolutely delightful and satisfying experience. We went with a shuttle bus load of fellow residents at The Highlands Retirement Community. None of us knew where we were going (it was our monthly Mystery Dinner with Harold, in which Harold our bus driver takes us to his choice of restaurant which is a total mystery to us until we arrive. Great fun!) and none of us had ever been there.

In getting off the bus, I noticed that there was a back deck with clear vinyl shades to keep the weather out. It was a cold March evening in Maine and I thought, "Oh, no! Not back there! We'll freeze." That's where our tables were reserved for us, but it was cozy warm due to three blazing wood stoves. A great start to what turned out to be a fantastic dinner.

The only disappointment came with the so-so cocktails. My Old Fashioned and my wife's Perfect Manhattan were drinkable, but not the best. Our dinners were first rate, however. My wife's pork chop and my barbecue ribs were both among the best dinners we've ever had anywhere. We chose a bottle of Malbec for accompaniment, and it was good enough to play a duet with the dinners. Our waitress was attentive and personable, even with three tables full of seniors to deal with. As we rebounded our bus for our return to The Highlands, the opinion was unanimous. Conundrum was a hit and Harold was our hero.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank yalahajohn
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
“A New Favorite”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This restaurant was recommended and we were not disappointed. The atmosphere was cozy and warm on the cold December night that we visited, and the food was excellent. Both the bar and food menus were interesting, and the service welcoming. We were greeted by the owner as we arrived, decided to sit at the bar and had the pleasure of being served by a personable and knowledgeable bartender named Spenser, who makes a great lemon drop martini. All in all a very enjoyable evening.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank yogiglo
Lincoln, Rhode Island
“Can't Wait to Go Back”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This place was recommended to me last summer by a local resident as a must. It was every bit as good as he said it would be. It was very busy the night we went but the owner was there to greet us when we walked in. He offered us seating in the main dining area, the bar or the enclosed outside area with couches and fireplaces. Thinking it was too cold for the outside area we opted for indoors. When we were leaving we did checkout the outside option and found it to be very warm and inviting. We will definitely try that next visit. You will not find a menu on line for this place since the menu changes daily. If you are looking for basic meat and potatoes, this is may not be the place for you. But if you are looking a new twists on old favorites this is the place. Our offerings that night were all very interesting and our meals were both great. The food is local, fresh and cooked to order so allow time for this but it is well worth the wait. Their drink menu is more extensive than most other restaurants in the area. One other aspect of the evening that impressed us was our server, Spencer. We actually asked her when we were leaving if she was an owner because her attentativeness to detail thoughout the evening was beyond what we have typically experienced from an employee. We will definitely be returning soon.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank mpd1034
Portland, Maine
“The owner is less than hospitable”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I had been here before with my book club and had no complaints. However, this evening my husband, and 4yr old daughter, decided to meet friends here after going to LL Bean. Needless to say, because it's Christmas time, it was busy, even at 6:30pm. Still, we were told by the owner that the wait was only 15-20min. We ended up waiting 30 min, which was fine with us. Still early enough to get Ella fed & to bed by a decent hour. Then time marched on. We ordered apps right away, and didn't receive them until close to 8pm, which was 45min. It took a good 45 min for the server to take our dinner order, so by the time we received that it was 8:45pm. We had to box ours up so that we could bring our daughter home to bed with a nice english muffin w/peanut butter. The owner kept defending his place, saying they only had so many staff, "so many pans" -- pans? Really? Dude, we don't care how many pans you have, just bring us some FOOD. I'm from Portland, so I'd like to say I'd return here, but I won't, and it's not because the food was mediocre, it's because the owner is so arrogant that he would not even acknowledge our poor experience, never offered to comp A THING, and was totally patronizing to me. Believe me, I can't even remember being this upset at a restaurant, and neither can my husband. I hope you have a better experience here! Just don't go during Christmas.

• Visited December 2012