“Surprise Jewel at Mile 0”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fort Kent
The Northern Door Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fort Kent
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed at The Northern Door Inn because, well, it is the only place to stay in Fort Kent. I was a little nervous because I like having options. However, The Northern Door Inn turned out to be a really great place for my husband and I to stay. Our room was updated, very clean, and very comfortable. It was at a great price too. The staff was friendly and helpful. The only thing that wasn't great was the continental breakfast...but maybe you just need to wake up first/earlier. We will stay here again!

Room Tip: Room 330 was fabulous...King sized bed...not sure about others.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Northern Door Inn. It was very clean, very nicely decorated, and the staff could not have been friendlier. The location is right in town, very convenient to everything and across the street from the border crossing and America's First Mile. Our room had 2 queen beds, very pretty spreads and decorative pillows, comfortable chairs; everything we needed. We would absolutely stay here again and would enthusiastically recommend the Northern Door inn to anyone traveling to Fort Kent.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Terrysmom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My daughter and her friend are in their senior year and wanted to tour umfk...this is about the only hotel close by. There were 4 of us (my older daughter, the two senior girls and myself). We drove up from central Maine and there was still snow on the ground up there! A bit chilly! I was a little worried that the hotel room would be cold...that was NOT the case..

First: the good: this hotel is easy to find, very clean and well worth the money. We were in a large double room with a fridge and microwave, also a table with two comfy chairs. The bathroom was roomy and had plenty of hot water and pressure. A good size flat screen tv. The beds were queen size and not bad for hotel quality, a bit firm for my taste but certainly good for the money. It was very quiet at night. We ate at the diner at the bottom of the parking lot...pretty decent food but they close at 7pm. There is FREE wi-fi that worked great!! They have a light breakfast/coffee available in the morning included. And you are right across the street from the bridge to Canada if you want to explore!

Only two complaints: I woke up in the middle of the night dying from the heat! I didn't get up to complain because I thought it might just be me (and the desk clerk shuts down at 10:30 and I didn't want to get someone out of bed), but the girls all confessed in the morning that it was extremely hot for them too. Also, this in NOT a place for people who want to sleep in. The noise started at about 5am and didn't stop. Someone was doing something that actually sounded like banging repeated on a pipe (maybe they were fixing the heat?) at 8:30 and house keeping was vacuuming by 8am...I didn't think the walls were thin until all this happened...
as a side note, I don't know if it has anything to do with the hotel, but both my older daughter and I had trouble with our cell phones shutting off and battery draining while we were there...perhaps it was just an auto roam issue tho...

All said, I would definitely stay here again and recommend to a friend.

Room Tip: we were on the front side and it was quiet all night...had great wi-fi signal
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Everything was extremely clean and daily housekeeping was great. They must have updated the rooms recently because the fixtures seemed newer (definitely looked newer than the pics posted by previous guests) and they had flat screen TVs.
The provided breakfast was your typical hotel fare, lots of cereals to choose from, toast, bagels, some donuts. Coffee and orange juice were both very good.
Found most of the staff to be friendly and helpful when needed.They offered family friendly activities in the lobby like checkers, puzzles, and board games that were free for guest to use. The wi-fi was not too bad, a little slower in the evenings.
We were there is sub-zero temps but our room was toasty and warm. Many of Fort Kent's restaurants and shops are within walking distance of the hotel.

Overall this is a very good hotel and I would recommend for anyone staying in the Fort Kent area.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kimber_jewel
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel one night in the fall. The good thing - it is clean and quiet. We stayed in a room with two double beds. The furniture is dated, probably from the 80s. The walls are painted panelling, the carpet old but clean and the bathroom fixtures olf but clean and working. The TV was a 19' full size hanging from the ceiling, but the cable worked well.

The breakfast was just okay - cold cereal, breads to toast. No real variety, no muffins, no water, no fruit. But if you like cereal and toast you will be fine.

The worst - the service. My husband checked with the hotel mid week for availability as we weren't certain of our plans. The clerk was not welcoming and had an indifferent attitude. It was a different person, but same attitude when we checked in at 6 p.m. No customer service skills at all. While at breakfast we witnessed two other couples check out and the young man that was working spent more time at the customer computer area playing computer games rather than to his customers. He kept looking over his shoulder to see if anyone was at the desk. When he did go wait on people it was if he was being bothered. Even when one man said "thank you" as he walked away from the front desk the young man didn't say one word to him. Not a return Thank You, Come again, nothing.

I would stay here again, but I don't feel it's that great of a bargain. About the same as cost as a Hampton Inn which offers exceptional service with a great breakfast and must higher quality rooms. There just aren't any in the St. John Valley.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NEFrequentTraveler
Reviewed September 21, 2012

The Northern Door Inn is the best place to stay in Fort Kent - unfortunate, but true. It is adequate, basically clean, Internet works well. It is dated with a wood frame floor built over a basement and can be noisey when the inconsiderate clients stomp up and down the hall. The bridge to Canada is conveniently located across the street - but a new bridge is being built and many of the workers are staying at The Inn, this can make for occassional problems, but not often. The bridge is scheduuled to be worked on for the nest two years.

The staff are unprofessional, moslty retirees and college student. Do not expect good service at the desk. Just remember this is the northern outpost of Maine and that the conditions are generally tough for anyone who goes there.

Room Tip: Suggest staying in the "main" building and get a north facing room - they have a view of C...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Someone else booked this reservation and I'd heard it was not so nice. When I saw the flyswatter in the room, I didn't know what to think.
Not so bad, turns out. Staff was friendly, my room was very clean, bed was not great but ok, and there was a continental breakfast in the morning. Lots of space in my room, too.
For some reason the internet doesn't work after about 10.30 pm, even out in the lobby. Not great when trying to get work done. No wireless so expect to plug in to the cord by the table.
Most of the year this won't be an issue, but I made the mistake of running the AC. It smelled like Swamp Thing had taken up residence in the room. I turned it off and left the room in hopes it'd air out. It did.
The hotel is directly across from the bridge, so be sure to ask about construction and noise when you book.

Room Tip: Construction is going on on the International Bridge across the street, so ask about it when you boo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Best Western Plus Edmundston Hotel
Days Inn Edmundston
Days Inn Edmundston
#2 of 10 in Edmundston

Been to The Northern Door Inn? Share your experiences!