“DON'T MISS IT”
Review of The Baskerville

The Baskerville
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shiplake
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We recently stayed at the Baskerville while walking the Thames Path. The staff, the care they showed us, our rooms, the food and the ambience were far superior to many 4 star hotels we've stayed in. We can't praise them too highly and are very much looking forward to a return visit. Don't hesitate if you're thinking of staying here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank NORMA L
There are newer reviews for The Baskerville

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed on the night of my birthday as a treat. My other half who booked the hotel was very disappointed with the quality of the accommodation for the price. The hotel is really a pub with rooms and although it's clean and the staff are friendly there are far better places in the area for a similar price.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Had lunch there this week as it was open for food all day and we wanted to eat at 3pm.

Nice starters of black pudding, egg and leaves and squid and leaves. A little over priced at $7.50 each. My main course of fish and chips was dissappointing as I only ordered it because on the menu it said "chunky fillet of haddock" and when it arrived it was a long, thin fillet of bland fish. Homemade chips were nice.

Partners steak and ale pie was very nice she said, with lots of meat in the pie.

Nice staff and service. Would recommend a try.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Only stayed the one night but I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. Had a lovely welcome and I really liked the pub atmosphere. We didn't try the food(only the breakfast which was good) as we had eaten somewhere on the way. Comfortable and very spacious room and a big plus is the fact that dogs are accepted in some rooms. If I am ever in the area again I would not look elsewhere. It's excellent value for money and really enjoyed the night.

Room Tip: If you want to take a dog phone them for availability
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nicola R
Reviewed March 17, 2013

A wonderful place to stay, take dinner or just drink. Extraordinarily welcoming and friendly from the word go: from the owners through all the staff (some of whom are family) to the locals.

More than a gastropub, more than your bog standard B&B. Lovely ambience in the pub/restaurant, and beautifully situated in gorgeous village, a brief stroll from the river. Excellent menus (food & drink, and dinner, lunch & breakfast), and nothing too much trouble for the kitchen - they served us late and knocked up a very good vegan meal from scratch. Lovely food all around.

Nicely decorated and spotlessly clean rooms. Not massive (shower no bath - but an excellent shower)... but you're in a pub really, after all, and they are lovely and cosy ,You would not know that the Baskerville, even given its name, was a dog-friendly pub/hotel. But we were very glad of it - the welcome extended to our hound was as warm as that to us. It was not a problem to the them even when he tried to chew his way out of the room when we left him for 10 minutes...

Only one small thing makes this a four star rather than a five star review. In the morning there was just one person - the chef - taking the breakfast order, cooking it and checking people out. So there was a bit of a long wait but this was quite possibly a one-off... and it was sterling work by the hard-pressed chef. Who prepared a sumptuous smoked salmon omelette on muffins, by the way.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HenryDavenport
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I don’t normally write reviews but my wife & I went to the Baskerville on a Wednesday night and we had just the best kind of relaxing evening. We weren't looking to stay so can't comment on the rooms.

The atmosphere is like walking into a really friendly old English pub. Staff smiling and welcoming behind the bar. Not cramped, there's plenty of space. By English pub I mean more traditional with lots of wood, traditional looking windows, warm feeling and lots of character. We ate in the restaurant which we were surprised to find was quite busy. We hadn't booked, thinking a Wednesday night would be quiet, but next time I will. It'd be easy to imagine the place getting fully booked up because it's obviously popular.

The staff we met were all friendly and right there whenever we needed anything. I didn't have to try to catch the eyes of waiting staff once; they appeared as we needed stuff and there was just the right amount of checking in to make sure we were OK.

The menu sounded enticing with clever and delicious sounding food but the proof of the pudding…… etc. Everything we tried (3 courses each in the end) was flawless. Not microwaved, it’s cooked by a chef, there and then. Perfectly cooked and delicious. I haven’t a single thing I could suggest to improve the whole experience.

Price wise, we ate from their kind of set-menu meal offer which was extremely good value. The full price menu was really tempting and also wasn't stupid pricing. We'd have happily ordered from either menu but in both our cases, there was a dish we really fancied on the set menu deal.

We live an hour’s drive away so it’s not our local but I hope we get the chance to have a go at some of the other things on the menu. Looking at the other guests in the restaurant, everyone looked like they were thoroughly enjoying the place and now I come to read some of the reviews on here, I can see we’re not alone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Robin B
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I went to the Baskerville for the first time a while back, however I went more recently and WOW!
The food was just incredible, and the staff were so polite.I would definitely recommend going if you haven't before. My waitress was Meg and she was the best waitress I have ever had, genuinely cared and I couldn't ask for anything more.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shiplake
Hotel du Vin
#7 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
Henley Business School
Henley Business School
#4 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to The Baskerville? Share your experiences!