“Hospitality...even after checkout!”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Ellsworth
Maine
“Hospitality...even after checkout!”
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Stayed for 2 nites. Staff extra friendly. Continental breakfast small, but sufficient(cereal,coffee,donuts,juice)
Check out was 11, but I asked the gals if I could wrap up some work on my laptop in their lobby/eating area as my next meeting was that night in Ellsworth. Not only was there no problem, but they made sure I knew where the coffee and juice was and made sure I knew where lunch could be had....even offered to pick up something for me if I was hungry. Would not hesitate to stay here again at all. Big time service in a small town!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Maine
Reviewed October 24, 2008

Upon arrival, the staff was friendly, and I checked in easily. I travel intermittently for business, so my standards aren't too much. To me, it's only a place to watch the news, and sleep at.

The room was pretty clean, and didn't have any odd odors, as far as I could tell. (like some of the places I've stayed) One gripe was the outdated A/C unit that didn't cool very well. The bed was halfway decent, as well.

They also offer a small "continental breakfast" as well. It comprised of donuts, coffee, and cereal. This is nice to have, at the low price, but not entirely sufficient. I supplemented this with a visit to Sylvia's at the Mall (in Ellsworth), towards Bangor, per recommendation of a motel employee.

I would stay here again for business, and possibly for leisure.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — A/C Unit (Summer)
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
NB
Reviewed July 30, 2008

I don't know what the other reviewers are saying UNLESS they are employees of this dive because from the confused desk staff to the broken down rooms (no window screens, broken wood), peeling paint and moldy bathrooms, terrible stale breakfast and watered down coffee, and the disgusting old shag in the rooms, this place is vulgar. The best thing for this motel would be the claws of an excavator as it removes this filth pit from the skyline. There are PLENTY of other motels and hotels both here and in Bar Harbor for FAR less cash so don't be a fool and book this broken down dirt pit, YOU'LL REGRET IT.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Staying
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
soccermom03, Manager at Eagle's Lodge Motel, responded to this review, October 29, 2008
We find ourselves in an awkward situation. It appears that a guest was very disappointed with his stay this year and a very unfavorable review of our motel was posted on Trip Advisor. We have researched the date in question and wonder why he did not ask to speak to management to give us the chance to correct the situation before disparaging us on-line. We provide comment cards for good and bad reviews in our rooms and request that they be filled out with compliments and/or concerns. We were unable to find notes or any mention of his displeasure on our daily front desk log. Our daily front desk log helps ensure that any problems or concerns are addressed immediately and nothing was logged regarding that room on that day - or on previous or subsequent days. We pride ourselves on being clean and comfortable with a friendly staff! I am very concerned about this review of our motel and would like to make sure that we were not mistaken for another motel during his travels in Downeast Maine. Had he given us the chance to view what he thought was wrong, we would have attempted to correct the situation on the spot.

I would like to rebut his comments as follows: I, personally, as manager of The Eagle’s Lodge Motel wish that he had asked to see me to discuss his concerns. We have had no complaints about that room before or since. We offer hot coffee, tea, cocoa, juice, cereal and donuts for breakfast and they are all purchased pre-packaged and could not have been stale or weak. To call The Eagle’s Lodge Motel a “dive, vulgar and a filth pit” is truly a new low standard for a disgruntled guest. I am sorry he feels this way but wish that he had spoken to me about his situation; I was on duty the morning of his departure and would have liked the opportunity to address his disappointment in our motel.

Nancy Mayo
Manager
USA
Reviewed May 30, 2008

Not 5-star, but NICE. Clean, friendly, and everything in the room works properly. Simple but adequate breakfast. Staff exceeds expectations. Even when travelling to Bangor, I stay here.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank BillieUSA
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 12, 2007

The Eagles Lodge was a wonderful motel. The staff was warm, friendly, and helpful, while the rooms were large, quiet, and extremely clean. The beds were comfortable, in contrast to the earlier review given below. My wife and I chose to stay here when we could not find accommodations on Mt. Desert Island (our trip was done on the spur of the moment). Although it was about a 20 minute drive to the island and Acadia National Park, the drive was easy and direct. We would recommend the hotel to anyone wanting access to the island or any other locale in the area.

• Liked — The cleanliness of the room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PAtravelers7076
Boston
Reviewed October 8, 2006

We spent Columbus Day weekend in this motel and thought we were very lucky to find a room with a queen bed in the area, since we had decided to go only the week before. We were mistaken! My husband specifically asked for a queen bed on the phone while booking the room directly with the motel. The first look at the room showed two full size beds. After requesting the booked queen size bed, we were told that WE!!! must be mistaken. She told us that the rooms with the queen beds were booked for weeks and she cannot imagine that anyone would tell us that they had a room with a queen bed available. Guess what! Someone did tell us that. And she was "friendly" enough to let us know that we can, of course, check out of the motel and try to get a room with a queen bed elsewhere. Try that on Columbus Day weekend near Acadia National Park! We ended up spending two nights on mattresses that were not only too small but also sagging. It seemed like they had not been replaced since the motel was opened.
The "continental breakfast" was a selection of donuts and cold cereals. As a result, we found a wonderful place for breakfast in Bar Harbor, Jeannie's on Cottage Street.
Although the price for the room was good we were very disappointed with the motel's response.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KatriM
SportsMom2, Motel Manager at Eagle's Lodge Motel, responded to this review, January 29, 2007
We find that this review is unfair. The reservation was for a room with 2 double beds as they requested and that is what we held for them. They never mentioned anything about the beds being saggy any time throughout their 2 day stay and we would have corrected it if they had. We have not had ANY complaints about the beds in that room since then. The breakfast is a "continental breakfast" not a full or complete breakfast and includes a selection of coffees, tea, hot chocolate, orange and cranberry juice, four types of donuts and three types of cereal.
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed October 7, 2006

My brother's family was renting a lakeside cabin in the Ellsworth area, and invited my Mom & I to vacation with them that week. Mom & I are a little more into "creature comforts", so we were looking for a nice motel nearby, not too expensive. There was not too much available on the Web for Ellsworth lodging, but looking at the Eagle's Lodge website, I thought it offered a very good value for the money, with the amenities we wanted. I called them, and they had rooms available for the week we wanted, so I reserved one. The lady I spoke with could not have been nicer. I explained that my Mom had problems with stairs & with walking distances, and she promised us a first-floor room near an entrance.

When we arrived, the room was very spacious & homey, with a refrigerator & microwave that proved very handy. The beds were very comfortable, also. The motel staff was very helpful with directions, restaurant recommendations, etc. They also serve a very nice continental breakfast with several flavors of gourmet coffee (I had to try the blueberry!) , orange and cranberry juice, and donuts and/or muffins & pastries (packaged). The coffee & hot chocolate is available 24/7. The motel is on a hillside on the outer edge of town, and is convenient to every shopping area & restaurant in Ellsworth. It is a pleasant drive of about 20-30 minutes to the entrance of the Acadia National Park. Right across the road from the motel is a lovely Bird Sanctuary with a gift shop and a few very nice nature trails. We (minus Mom, unfortunately) made use of these trails after having some delicious lobster dinners! I enjoyed seeing the many birds they had for viewing; owls, hawks, turkey vultures, etc. It was somewhat cool during the week we visited, so we did not make use of the motel's pool, but it looked very nice & inviting.

This was our first visit to the Ellsworth area, but we certainly plan to return, and the Eagle's Lodge will once again be our Maine home. I was very pleased, and I think you will be, too.

• Liked — Location, not in crowded area, ease of parking near motel entrances
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — We had dinner a few times at Helen's, which was close by. Large menu, reasonable prices & good food, especially the homemade pies!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank Sungold
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellsworth
Comfort Inn Ellsworth - Bar Harbor
White Birches Motel
White Birches Motel
#1 of 1 in Hancock
Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center

Been to Eagle's Lodge Motel? Share your experiences!