“I Did See ONE Big Chicken!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Big Chicken Barn

Big Chicken Barn
Ranked #2 of 10 Shopping in Ellsworth
Charlotte, North Carolina
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“I Did See ONE Big Chicken!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

We must have passed a hundred antique stores on the road to this one! My husband had read about it and it looked interesting so we made it a stop on our route. It is really big! I didn't even get to the floor with books before I was tired. There were lots of antiques and collectibles to look at. Since we were traveling I had to be very selective about what I purchased. No problem! I found a few of my kind of collectibles that would not break or weigh the suitcase down. If I lived in the area, I'd frequent this place!

1 Thank Wendy A

43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Rainy day pleasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

A great place to browse on a rainy day or any day! The first floor is a great hodgepodge of items and the 2nd floor is all books. I found dishes recycled into garden art with a lobster paperweight on top! There is something for everyone to look through at the barn.

Visited August 2013
Medford, New Jersey
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Treasure trove of antiques and vintage items!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

They aren't kidding when they say BIG! The whole family stopped by on our way home from Bar Harbor. Needed to kill some time so we didn't hit NYC traffic!

We were thrilled at all the amazing items beautifully displayed throughout this gigantic antique store. Everything and anything, reasonable prices, personable salespeople at the counters. We were able to tour the first floor, but it took an hour! I found soooo many wonderful treasures that I wanted to bring home, but the car was already packed full.

I did locate awesome salt and pepper shakers, a vintage coke glass, another covered glass animal dish - this time a rooster with a red head instead of the regular hen. My son found tons of LP's from the '70s and my other son bought a 30 year old full bottle of coke. But there were beatiful wooden shelves, antique cooking equipment, tons of crystal, figurines, you name it.

Sadly, I didn't hvae time to get to the 2nd floor. It's full of BOOKS! Even marked up editing copies. T hey had a whole section of books about Maine and Maine authors downstairs. Must be quite a few Stephen King books in there!

The only negative was that there were two unisex bathrooms and one had overflowed. They could probably use additional toilets given the amount of people that stop by on their travels.

Completely enjoyed visiting this barn in Ellsworth!

1 Thank medfordnjmom
Roslyn Heights, New York
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“All the old 4th ave NYC book stores in one place and antiques galore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Had it not been a washout we probably would have skipped it. We spent over 2 hours browsing
Chackas and other old stuff. The top floor is a bibliophile heaven. Even if you have a perfunctory interest in books and magazines you will find something to admire. I bought a copy of Life magazine with my birthday on it. How old ? A date before1949. If you have the time best to stop by on way to Acadia and vicinity . Need at least 60 minutes. Happy browsing.

Ellsworth, Maine
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“A book and antique lover's paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Not far from the center of Ellsworth on routes1 and 3 lies a huge 2 story barn that harbors books, old magazines, collectibles and antiques. On the floor level as you enter ,if you go right or left you find all kinds of collectibles, antiques and jewelry. The jewelry is encased behind glass. if you see something you want, just ask a person at the front desk. There are sections side by side of independent dealers. Anything you could imagine , you can find. Large ancient wooden tribal masks for hanging on the wall. Old cameras. Glass dining tables. Old horse models and blue ribbons from an Orlando Arabian Horseshow. Collections of shells. As you venture upstairs, all book cases are labeled: mystery, cooking , travel. aviation as well as by author. If you walk to the right there are hundreds of old magazines. Look. Life. Anything and everything. Hard back books. Paperbacks and posters. There are chairs and benches where you can sit down and peruse your discoveries. Be prepared to spend an hour or two. Pleasant atmosphere.

Visited June 2013