“Good local home cooking”
Review of Helen's

Helen's
Ranked #19 of 68 Restaurants in Ellsworth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2014

We visit family in Hancock every few years and always make sure that we eat dinner at Helen's. They start you out with some small fresh bread loaves and plenty of butter. I usually have the whole lobster, but others in the family have had fried haddock rolls & fried Maine shrimp. All were enjoyable. We were on vacation from Dallas, so we stuck with seafood items since they are difficult to get at home and are extremely expensive. It is one of my teenagers' favorite places. The place is comfortable, casual and popular with locals. We are usually too full after eating dinner to have dessert. But we have taken some pie home to enjoy later. All of the ones we tried were good. I especially liked the blueberry pie.

Reviewed August 24, 2014

My husband and I drove 50 miles to take care of business in Ellsworth, ME. We asked a local to suggest a restaurant where we could have a nice lunch. She suggested Helen's saying that we could get any type of food at reasonable prices. We were lucky to get to the restaurant before the after church crowd arrived. We ordered our drinks and a cup of Halibut chowder. The chowder was very good, so we thought we had the right restaurant. We hesitate to order fried food and I have had Parmesan Crusted Halibut in another restaurant in the area so I thought it would be a good choice. Unfortunately when the meal arrived, the fish was covered with crushed potato chips which had apparently been put under the broiler. There was no sign of Parmesan cheese but the chips were black (burned) from the too close encounter with the broiler. When the chips were scraped away we were left with bland fish with no seasoning. We both only ate half our fish. The hardest thing to accept was that meal cost $53.00! We paid the bill because we ate the chowder and salad. We should have sent the fish back to the kitchen but we didn't. Just be leery of the Parmesan Crusted Halibut. As we started to leave we saw some fried food being served and it looked like it would have been good. We will never know because I am sure I will never get my husband in there again.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

Known for it's pies. Stopped in to satisfy the family's craving for some blueberry pie (to go). Waited at counter for a while. Was rudely (IMO) greeted w/ "Are you coming or going!?" Pie was good.

Based on previous visit the year before, I had said I would never go back, but decided to give it another try. Previous year lobster tank was disgusting (so dirty you couldn't see through it), food was so/so, and lemon meringue pie was stale. Lobster tank was empty this visit (not sure why).

Went in w/ a bit of a chip on my shoulder, and they didn't exactly win me over w/ this visit.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

The waitress was wonderful and checked on us frequently. Our food came to us quickly and was very good. Dessert was beyond delicious. I will make this my go to place whenever in Ellsworth. I would and will recommend this place to others.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

This restaurant is mostly for older people on a budget, so prices are reasonable and portions are good sized. I don't mean this in a negative way, it's still a good place to eat. Home made bread and pies are great. it doesn't have much for atmosphere. It is usually a place you don't have to wait in a long line to get in and out.