“Just wonderful!”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
“Just wonderful!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

The food here is just fantastic, and the family that runs this establishment goes out of their way to make you feel at home. Kids are super welcome, and the waitstaff is great with them. I could not reccomend this place more, we go at least twice a month.

• Visited June 2013

Smithfield, Rhode Island
“Pretty Average Overall”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

On a recent vacation in Ellsworth my husband and I took a chance on Bangkok Restaurant for a quick lunch. This was the only restaurant we visited in the area and just happened to go there because we love Thai food. The exterior was plain but well kept. When we walked in we were greeted with intricately carved wooden doors that matched the beautifully carved seats within. The décor was beautiful and quite unexpected. We were seated immediately; there were only 3-4 other tables occupied during our mid-week lunch. I ordered the Thai Iced Tea (they overdid it on the cream) and my husband ordered a bottle of beer that was served with a glass, both came out quickly as did a pot of hot tea that must have been complimentary and was really enjoyable. We decided on the fried scallops appetizer. In hindsight this was not exactly an "authentic" choice but we were both in the mood for a little seafood. It was truly nothing more than a few deep fried sea scallops (not terribly large) served with a side sauce that I would guess had its origins in a Heinz 57 bottle. So far, we were not impressed. My husband ordered the large massaman curry with seafood and I ordered the small yellow curry with chicken. Both dishes were generous portions (small was the perfect size for me to finish while feeling pleasantly full) and served with white rice. We did notice though that the curry sauces were quite thick... as if corn starch had been added to them in order to make the Thai food seem more palatable to those accustomed to American-style Chinese food. Aside from the texture of the sauces both curries were quite good. Post-meal we were each served a small bowl of pineapple chunks with a toothpick and (mass produced) chocolate fortune cookies with the check. The pineapple chunks were a nice touch but the chocolate fortune cookies again reminded us that this restaurant was clearly catering to a Chinese-food-loving crowd. The service was prompt & polite, nothing unusual or worth mention. The biggest annoyance we found was the presence of mosquitos inside the restaurant... which seemed unusual considering we were having lunch and it was not a rainy day. Overall this place was pretty average overall but certainly has potential to be a great Thai restaurant if they stop pandering to the ignorant and start serving truly authentic Thai dishes.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Melissa S
“Good food, horrible service.”
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

The food here is really good, but not good enough to make up for the awful service. Our waitress (the owners daughter, we learned) talked to us for almost 5 minutes, about nothing that mattered, before she asked us what we wanted to drink. Not only was she annoying, she messed up my boyfriends drink order. We were the only ones in the restaurant, and when she wasnt with us she was just talking to people at the bar. Would only go again for take out.

• Visited September 2012
rdngtchr
“Great food and service!”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Our dinners were great - take a chance on this place as it isn't impressive from the road. The interior decor is lovely, it was quiet though there were several larger parties dining at the same time, and our server was most accommodating. ;)

Visited April 2013
Center Montville, Maine, United States
“"The Best" for over a decade.”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I have eaten at the Bangkok for years--and have always been more than satisfied. I have taken Asian students there for their "soul food"--and they loved the experience and food.
Whenever we go to Acadia NP to hike, we always stop for the delicious food. I've been to Thailand twice and love this restaurant!

• Visited February 2013