“Better than last visit...”

Union River Lobster Pot
Ranked #2 of 65 Restaurants in Ellsworth
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Portland, Maine
“Better than last visit...”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I wrote a review here a few years ago in which I characterized this restaurant as "mediocre" --- which it clearly was (in our experience and opinion) at that time and visit. We decided to give the place another chance recently and found the hostess and wait staff to be much more friendly and attentive this time than during our last visit. The the food was also quite good, although of modest portions. I don't know if there has been a change in ownership or management, or maybe just a "attitude adjustment" by the staff, but our recent experience was different from our previous visit and definitely constituted a change for the better.

Purcell, OK
“Very Yummy”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

The service was very good, and the food excellent. However, we found the chowders wanting - which knocked it out of the five star category.

My wife and I were traveling through New England and stopped here for dinner. It was a Friday night during "leaf peeping" season and I was a little concerned about how long we have to wait for a table - especially when we saw a sign that mapped out the multiple parking lots they had. Fears were cast aside as we were warmly greeted at the door and immediately shown a table. A nice young man greeted us promptly and returned quickly with drinks. He assisted us in making some choices on the menu. We knew we were having lobster the following night, so he guided us to the swordfish. I had mine grilled on cedar planks and my wife had hers with some sort of hollandaise sauce. Mine was perfect, hers was a little dry but still tasty. The service person was attentive and kept our drinks refilled.

My only disappoint was the chowders. We are in New England - we wanted the full experience and I ordered a cup of clam chowder and my wife a cup of fish chowder. The chowders where thin with minimal flavor and very few pieces of meat and an occasional potato. The menu boasted that the clam chowder had won some competition. I'm not buying it. These people need to take a trip to Cajun country and take some lessons from a good gumbo cook.

(Note: we would try chowders again two more times on this trip. The chowder at the Lobster Pot definitely came in last place.)

Overall it was very good experience. I would return if I was in the area; but I won't be ordering the chowder.

Grand Junction, Colorado
“Wonderful seafood”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Great lobster and clams! The restaurant is open and lots of family style seating. We were there after the tourist season, but it seems everyone in town was there that evening. The atmosphere is warm and inviting and lobster is terrific.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
“Highly Recommended by the Locals”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We were traveling through New England, and based upon favorable recommendations from some of the local people, we decided to dine at the Union River Lobster Pot. It was a great choice. We had a good view of the river from our table, and the service was friendly and efficient. We had oyster on the half shell for an appetizer, and were not disappointed. They presented well, and they were fresh and delicious. I had the broiled haddock fillet and my wife had the steamers. As usual, we shared some of each. The sea food was excellent. Although, after superb dinner, we were completely satisfied, we ordered the home made blueberry pie to go, and enjoyed it later. We would definitely return to this restaurant.

Lamoine, Maine
“Great Food as always but a few issues with image of staff”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have been coming to this restaurant since it opened back in the nineties. The food has always been good but in the last two or three years it has truly been great. I have heard they have a new chef that has been there since then and the difference is telling. I'm not a big lobster fan nor do I eat fried foods so I have been eating this particular chefs cooking every time I go to the Lobsterpot and it has always been great.

The issues that I have are that as the years have gone by the overall polish of the dining room has gone down. This past summer every time I went it seemed that several of the girls had slept in the skirts they were wearing as they were desperate for an ironing board. One male server had exceptionally sloppy hair and looked like he was about three months past due for a haircut.
In addition, many of the servers had extremely filthy shoes or odd styles of footwear not matching the servers uniforms. While this may seem petty, in my opinion overall polish and image of the serving staff is important and should be kept at a high standard and that standard has seemed to fallen over the past few years.

As bad as the waitstaff needs a polishing, one of the men outside who cooks the lobster is the worst offender. I saw him several times this summer working and each time he seemed to be wearing the same clothes that consisted of a heavily bleach stained shirt and pants that were so ripped up they were little better than rags and held together all the way up front with safety pins. In my opinion his attire was awful and the owners should speak to him and get him cleaned up a bit as he is the first person customers see at the restaurant and it creates a poor impression.

I hope that the owners read this and make some changes. They have a great restaurant, with a talented cook in a lovely spot in Ellsworth. The overall attire of the staff and their sloppy looks cheapen the experience.

2 Thank ashyln P